Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2002 4:06:48 AM EDT
Has anyone build a 10/22 rifle on a casting (steel or aluminum)..like the type that Snelling has at his shop? If you have, please post & advise on how it went...maybe post a few PIX if ya got'm. Thx...Bud

Because we can
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Jetlag...Thank you, that's just what the doctor ordered...Bud
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I completed the first AR80% receiver William sold and the first one Rick (ARs4ever) sold. I think I was the first person to finish one of Williams 10-22 steel castings. The only part that was a problem was the X Y axis for center of the barrel extension into the receiver and the face of the receiver to set the headspace. I just used a dremel with a grinder wheel grinder to finish the angles for the barrel hold down area under the barrel. If you have access to a machine shop and a bridgeport it's a piece of cake.Having a stripped receiver to work off of makes it real easy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Mouseomatic;

Do you happen to know (or remember) what the diameter of the cast hole in Williams 10/22 receiver is? I've asked this question of William himself in the past and have never gotten a real answer.

What I am really interested in is threading this hole, and threading the related barrel shank to match, to basicaly "do away" with the Ruger "V-block" barrel attachement system. A "screwed-in" barrel set-up has got to be a lot better way to go. IMHO.

Just curious . . . . Doug . . . .
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]

THE HOLE ON THE CAST 10/22 I SELL IS TAPERED

FRONT  .698 +/-.003

INSIDE THE RECEIVER   .690 +/- .003

INSIDE THE HOLE  .695 +/- .003
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#6]
dropdbombnow...Are you planning a caliber change on this build? Any hey...I don't think we got our nickels worth outta Snelling...a few words & some dimensional specs? come on buddy...give us alittle conversation. I think Snelling may have built one or two rifles from these castings but is just too darn shy to tell us about'm...whattya say Prairie-Dog-Pete....have ya got some sage 10/22 wisdom to impart? Bud
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#7]
BUD,

IM SORRY I DO NOT HAVE MUCH INSITE ON THIS PROJECT I HAVE NOT MADE OR ATTEMPTED TO BUILD ONE YET

IF I HAD MORE I WOULD GIVE IT TO HELP OTHERS

WILLIAM
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah Bud, I'm more confused now than I was before William chimed in.

The barrel shank on the standard 10/22 barrel is .685" and if the hole in Williams casting is .695-.698 like he says, that barrel fit's gonna be just a wee bit on the loose side. What I was actually thinking about was tapping the receiver hole and going to a screwed-in barrel set-up rather than using the V-block system. I could still do this using another 22 barrel blank, just not with a standard Ruger barrel.

And, yes I was considering a slight change in the caliber as well.

Later . . . . Doug
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The steel casting I did measured .595 to .603. Plenty of room to do a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info Mouseomatic. That's a bit closer to the dimension that I was expecting. If this is correct, it would leave plenty of material inside the cast hole and on the existing barrel shank for a barrel thread of 11/16x16 or even 11/16x24. I may just have to give this a try.

All good . . . . Doug
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top