Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2019 11:15:36 AM EDT
I suppose it was inevitable given the soft AR market and the softer 308 market. Plus a declining market for piston guns.

I always liked the SR-762 and saw it as more of a heavy patrol rifle rather than a long range platform. Not that the rifle wasn't capable of decent accuracy but the lack of a free-float barrel didn't make it ideal for shooting at extended ranges.

Anyway, here's a photo of mine in it's current state. 51T muzzle device to use suppressed. VTAC LPSM for mounting a sling. Trijicon RMR for an optic along with a mount for an Aimpoint 3X magnifier. Furnitire remains stock Ruger although I believe later production guns came with Magpul stuff.

I had always wondered if Ruger was going to make a takedown version of the 762 with the ability to swap to 6.5 Creedmoor, etc. I guess now we have an answer....

Link Posted: 3/11/2019 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a nice rifle. I have one and the only complaint that I have is that it's heavy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
and the only complaint that I have is that it's heavy.
View Quote
Yeah they aren't the lightest game in town. Still, the weight isn't unrealistic for a 308 battle rifle and the Ruger was a little lighter than some other models.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Love my SR762.  Only recently realized Ruger killed it, along with the SR556.  I think the M&P10 dropping below $1000 was the last nail in the coffin.

Great gun, easy to shoot, reliable, accurate.  Whatever coating they have on the BCG allows you to just wipe it down with a soft cloth and it's good as new.

Link Posted: 3/11/2019 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I love mine, it can shoot under 1 moa easily. I have gotten several one hole groups with my reloads.  I managed to snag two complete spare BCG's, plus a few extra bolts for mine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend has one.

When he first got it it had lots of issues. He bought it used.

Wonder if he worked the bugs out?

Sucks they aren't being made anymore. It's a very specific combination of features that I know some people find desirable.

But.

I suppose that market is satiated.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Not surprised. Ruger has never impressed me as a brand and ol' Billy don't like them big clips. Their best creation is the 10/22.

Sorry all your ruger piston rifles are worth $30 now. Hey if you have a SR and live in Cali you can now have standard capacity mags!
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I liked mine. Was the first .308 AT platform I purchased. It was heavy though. When I finished my Aero build, I gave it to my brother in law. He loves it. He has a Ruge R fetish
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I wanted one to match my SR556, never got around to it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought mine about two weeks ago..."new in the box"  from my LGS.

So far, I have only had one range trip with it.  I think it was about 100 rounds of Federal XM80 (all with the FC 19) headstamp.  My plan is to get enough of the same year head stamped brass to start reloading for it.

I am hoping it was just the XM80 ammo because I was not all that impressed with the accuracy.

My local Academy Sports actually had some Federal Gold Medal (Match) in stock along with some Hornady match ammo:

Attachment Attached File

Maybe this next week I can make it to the range to see if this gun groups any better with that ^^^ ammo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Maybe this next week I can make it to the range to see if this gun groups any better with that ^^^ ammo.
View Quote
Let us know how it does.

I found mine to be capable of just a little over an inch with good ammo from what I remember.

I do note that Ruger's expanded the AR-556 market a bit.  They are now offering a couple different rifle configurations as well as an AR pistol.  I can't help but wonder if they might not have an AR-762 in the works.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I like mine.  It’s one of the Gen 1s that was everyone claimed was problem filled, but mine always ran right with both Gen 2 and Gen 3 Pmags.  Only feed issue I had was with a DPMS metal mag, but after some testing it was clearly a problem with the feed lip on that particular mag.  Accurate too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Let us know how it does.

I found mine to be capable of just a little over an inch with good ammo from what I remember.

I do note that Ruger's expanded the AR-556 market a bit.  They are now offering a couple different rifle configurations as well as an AR pistol.  I can't help but wonder if they might not have an AR-762 in the works.  
View Quote
@Melvin_Johnson

yeah, sure thing, but something came up this week, unfortunately.

So hopefully next week.

I do reload...or rather I have the capability to reload.  It is just lately, I don't have any time.  Argghh...

My intent is to use the Federal Gold Medal Match stuff as like a "gold standard" or a baseline to compare against when I finally do get around to reloading for it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I am getting ready to head to the range.

I bought a stainless Dillon case gauge the other day.

So just fiddling with it and the once fired XM80 brass I have shot...

Oddly enough... my brass like drops right in the case gauge:

Attachment Attached File

and backwards:

Attachment Attached File

I do NOT ever recall any of MY once fired brass in any caliber dropping in so easily into a case gauge before.

Is the SR762's chamber tighter?

Or does the adjustable gas block and piston allow for more time to get the pressures to subside so the case isn't "swelled up" when it gets ejected?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Here are just the preliminary resultd....and the winner is (drum roll please)

Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grainers, 5 shot group, at 100 yards:

Attachment Attached File

And the loser is.... (sad trombone please):

XM80...10 shot group...the first group shot of the day....at 100 yards:

Attachment Attached File

And just to double check things, the last thing I shot was another 10 round group of XM80 (FC 19 headstamp):

Attachment Attached File

Soooo....the big loser again was XM80.

Here is all the ammo I shot today plus the gun and how I had it rigged up today:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#15]
@Melvin_Johnson

see above ^^^
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here are just the preliminary resultd....and the winner is (drum roll please)

Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grainers, 5 shot group, at 100 yards:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369122/20190510_163906_jpg-940827.JPG

And the loser is.... (sad trombone please):

XM80...10 shot group...the first group shot of the day....at 100 yards:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369122/20190510_164538_jpg-940834.JPG

And just to double check things, the last thing I shot was another 10 round group of XM80 (FC 19 headstamp):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369122/20190510_165138_jpg-940837.JPG

Soooo....the big loser again was XM80.

Here is all the ammo I shot today plus the gun and how I had it rigged up today:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369122/20190510_154335_jpg-940840.JPG
View Quote
Awesome info.  Thanks for doing that.  I'd been having accuracy issues with XM80 and was afraid the problem was the rifle.  I'll get my hands on some Gold Medal Match and try it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Awesome info.  Thanks for doing that.  I'd been having accuracy issues with XM80 and was afraid the problem was the rifle.  I'll get my hands on some Gold Medal Match and try it.
View Quote
@intheburbs

You're welcome!

Just an FYI...the Hornady match ammo in the white box with the 168gr ELD  stove pipe'd in my gun twice.  That was with two different mags.

Everything else ran 100% .

Link Posted: 6/11/2019 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll be back tomorrow with pics of the 175 grain groups.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top