Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2010 6:56:07 AM EDT
I ran about 150 rounds through my LMT lubed with Royal Purple 20W-50. I put a liberal amount on the the outside of the bolt carrier and a very generous amount on the cam pin, gas rings etc.

After 150 rounds of steady fire the gun was pretty hot. I was very impressed how well the RP held up and stayed put. A very visible sheen was still present throughout. I am looking forward to a more extensive test with 500 rounds or more. So far am happy with the RP.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you use in your CAR?

J/K...I really don't want to know.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
i just ran my truck 150 miles with CLP in the engine.  oh wait, that doesn't make sense either.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i just ran my truck 150 miles with CLP in the engine.  oh wait, that doesn't make sense either.

Not quite sure what you mean by that given that synthetic motor oil has proven to be one of the best gun lubes out there....
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not quite sure what you mean by that given that synthetic motor oil has proven to be one of the best gun lubes out there....

its a joke.  take it as such and run whatever you want to in your own weapon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Talked to an industry expert and he say the gun oil refineries ain't too happy about this switch over to auto lubes...
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Talked to an industry expert and he say the gun oil refineries ain't too happy about this switch over to auto lubes...

Ha ha! I bet they're not!

I just picked up some Mobil 1 20W-50 V-twin Fully Synthetic (based on the recommendation to that thread to which I don't have a link right now) that I will be trying in my carbine for the first time next week.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:53:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i just ran my truck 150 miles with CLP in the engine. oh wait, that doesn't make sense either.

So the military specs it?
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 4:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha ha! I bet they're not!

I just picked up some Mobil 1 20W-50 V-twin Fully Synthetic (based on the recommendation to that thread to which I don't have a link right now) that I will be trying in my carbine for the first time next week.

I like the heavier weights too. They seem to stay put better.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 4:15:55 AM EDT
[#9]
The mil spec is LSA, LAW, or CLP.
or the new comer militec.

people are always wanting to fix something that isnt broken.  i do admit though some guns get hot enough to cook plain clp. they are called machine guns.  on our M240, m2s etc a slash of motor oil wont hurt.  but even back in the day when we had the full auto M16s they didnt get hot enough to cook clp off.  not that there is anything wrong with motor oil for an AR. I have just never seen it necessary even after thousands of rounds in a day to need anything other than plain old milspec breakfree.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
i just ran my truck 150 miles with CLP in the engine. oh wait, that doesn't make sense either.

Nope, but a bunch of people I know and trust use it, and I've used it with great success, especially compared to traditional CLP's.  

The military isn't the only group that runs AR15/M16 based weapons, and they're not exactly on the cutting edge of technology when it comes to how they set the base rifles up.

BTW, to the above, I've lubed up AR's with CLP, and seen it all but disappear after 150 rounds down the pipe.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, but a bunch of people I know and trust use it, and I've used it with great success, especially compared to traditional CLP's.  

The military isn't the only group that runs AR15/M16 based weapons, and they're not exactly on the cutting edge of technology when it comes to how they set the base rifles up.

BTW, to the above, I've lubed up AR's with CLP, and seen it all but disappear after 150 rounds down the pipe.

Yeah me too. I did not start looking for other lubes because CLP worked wonderfully. I started using Mobil1 because I was looking for a heavier weight oil that would not readily evaporate. The majority of people that bad mouth the use of synthetic motor oils have likely never tried them. Old habits die hard.

Link Posted: 4/9/2010 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Why not use grease?  I ran almost 500 rounds of steel cased 62gr fmj through my 16" carbine one day and still had lube on all the parts I put lube on a couple weeks before that shoot.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why not use grease?  I ran almost 500 rounds of steel cased 62gr fmj through my 16" carbine one day and still had lube on all the parts I put lube on a couple weeks before that shoot.

I've been playing with Mobile 1 Synthetic wheel bearing grease for a few weeks now.
It stays put, doesn't cook off and surprisingly it is fairly easy to clean off. I run it just on the rails of the carrier ,bolt cam pin and very very minute amount on  the lugs and bolt itself.Gun runs really really well and when charging the gun it feels slicker than ever.

Anything else needing lube gets oiled with some synthetic motor oil. I've had no unusual stoppages or failures since changing to this lubricant and after a trip to the range there is still lubricant on the weapon that wasn't there when I used CLP. I'm also seeing less wear on a new bolt's finish Vs. running CLP

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 3:35:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I can certainly appreciate someone looking for something new to use.  

However, I do enjoy the stories about weapons failing and wearing out prematurely due to CLP being the only lube used, esp with excessively small round counts.  Can you imagine what a weapon with 60K-70K rounds or more would look like after using nothing but CLP?!?!  haha  Talk about guaranteed failure!
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#15]
i use royal purple in my race cars and my street cars, and after killing my last can of CLP, i put it into one of my cheap build ARs. . . and 1200 rounds later, after NO cleaning, it was still there.  that was after repeated mag dumps to the tune of 100 rds or so through 3 and some change 30rd mags.  it just plain works.  i'm not saying its the end all be all, but it does work well to have not been designed to do what i used it for.

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember seeing in an old RP catalog a gun oil.  http://www.royalpurple.com/gun-oil.html
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Grease tends to do well if it stays warm, but when things get cold grease can gum up an action and render a weapon unusable.

As for motor oil, I've found that it works great on weapon systems that are capable of high out put heat (belt feed autos) it's seems as though the motor oil does not burn of as fast CLP

So if your going to melt the front sight post off your SAW try some motor oil.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I found some engine assembly lube in my tool box that I'm gonna try out.

Its sticky red goop. Looks like it will work like a charm. Not as thin as oil, but thinner then grease.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#19]
This an old school lubricant but still is available...anybody try STP Oil Treatment?  We used to use it on case lube pads before carbide sizing dies and was the best stuff for lubing VW valve guides when driving them into the heads.  Pretty slippery stuff and way more viscose than oil but not as stiff as grease...it pretty much stayed where you put it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Lucas makes a gun oil.  i have used it for a long time on my semi-auto pistols. its good stuff. never tried it on an AR platform though. description on the lucas site says it was developed for machine guns. Linky
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top