Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2006 2:26:28 PM EDT
found this on another site. Interesting.

http://www.subguns.com/boards/semimsg.cgi?read=132762

Have a close friend that was a security contractor for Custer Battles in Iraq in late 2003/2004. At one point he was performing armed security patrols during the repair of of salt water de-sal plant. He was shooting the shit with one of the gate officers when they took small arms fire from a building about 400-500 meters away. My friend felt a sharp pain in his upper chest. At the same time he looked down and saw a mettalic object fall from his field jacket onto the ground. He heard the muzzle report,realized what had happened, took cover, and returned fire on the area of the building they thought the shots came from and requested assistance over the radio. As luck would have it an Army National Guard patrol was almost right beneath the 3rd story window when the terrorist began firing. They assumed he was firing at their patrol. They quickly engaged and killed two shooters one of which had a captured M-4 rifle that had been lost 4 months prior, the other had an AK-47 that did not appear to have been fired recently. When it was all over my friend retrieved the metallic object from the ground. It was a fired, near pristine 62 grain M-855 U.S. issued bullet. My friend inspected the hole in his field jacket. If you know anything about C.B.'s it won't suprise you that he had no body armor. What was amazing or not was that the M-855 round had penetrated his field jacket and nylon strap of his web gear. The bullet was stopped when it hit His I.D. card which was one of those commonly used 2-3 mm thick plastic "Door swipe" or "Proximity" cards produced by HID Corp. The card was cracked and he had a bruise similar to that of being struck with a paintball.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
"Have a close friend"....blah blah blah bullshit blah blah blah bullshit bullshit blah bullshit.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is true he is one lucky SOB.

All I can think is maybe too light of a powder load in the bullet but odds are a M-855 would never have that happen unless the shooter in this case did the reloading himself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have shot any thing with .223, you would know this is BS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Very lucky.

If true, the round must have hit something first and then his chest.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
maybe your friend has a force field that he doesn't know about
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe it passed thru some intervening medium which took a bunch of the velocity off?  I dunno, provenance isn't much, but weird shit does happen with bullets.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

Anyone who believes this story should be shot from 400-500m range with an M4.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know the velocity of a M-855 fired from a 14 inch barrel at 500 meters?? I will guesstimate 1000 fps. My standard carry gun is a NAA 22mag revolver. It clocks just below that at the muzzle. I may have to rethink carrying that although I never expected more than a 5 second running head start from it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I say its a fact.  I bet the bullet was tumbling so much that it lost its mass.

Also, they didn't mention this.  He was eating a sammich, and the bread absorbed most of the momentum.

The sammich didn't make it  

Edit - Whoops, this wasn't a GD post..  Sorry.  Kind of.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes sir, I would say not believing that story and not carrying a .22 as your primary handgun are two very good ideas.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#11]
B.S.
M855 will penetrate steel helmets at 600m better than M80 ball ammo which is 7.62x51.
Which is why the U.S. adopted it in the first place. The military M-4's have a twist rate of 1:7 which stabilizes the M855 out to an 800m effective range. 1:9 stabilizes M855 a little better but shows minimal difference in accuracy. Besides insurgents spray and pray, they don't aim.
Read the AMMO ORACLE and help debunk myths.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I think a .22Lr as a carry is better than this story. ( I carry a .22)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Exactly.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Exactly.

Yeah. Like anyone here could hit a man sized target at that range.

Let alone some half assed goat herder with a captured M4.

HS1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#15]
It always starts out: "I have this friend in Iraq"
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#16]
BS

Max
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Maybe it passed thru some intervening medium which took a bunch of the velocity off?  I dunno, provenance isn't much, but weird shit does happen with bullets.

I'd be willing to believe it skipped off of the ground and lost velocity, or even turned sideways before it struck him, but that's about the only scenario I can envision.

Strange things happen-Two soldiers (yeah, one was a friend of mine, but it DID NOT happen in Iraq) had a grenade thrown into their vehicle between them, and escaped relatively unharmed.  My team got the bastard who did it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#18]
All I know is that Custer Battles is responsible for some serious violations and they are knee deep in doo doo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#19]
[tinfoil hat] I KNEW the US was working on force-field technology!!! Pretty soon we'll have super soldiers that are able to fight like the HALO!! then theyll take away our guns and treat us as cheap labor as they build monuments to our alien ancestors!! [tinfoil/]

If you find this interesting then thats just sad.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#20]
He must be a Jedi!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#21]
That actually happened to me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#22]
this is just silly
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top