Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2006 4:43:45 AM EDT
Is there anybody out there had a Rocky Mountain Arms Patriot pistol and what is the experience of shooting this pistol?????
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#1]
There are several variations of that unit, depending on the mfg date.

A pic would help, but basically the really early ones have an angle on the bottom of the magwell like any other AR.  Later ones have a square bottom on the magwell.

Uppers changed too, from forgings to extrusion.

Recoil springs & buffer tubes changed a couple of times too.

If you want to shoot it a lot, change the mickeymouse recoil assy to a CAR tube / buffer / spring - and it will run like a champ.

Lem
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your info! Also I would like to know if anybody owns a Olympic Arms OA-93 pistol in 7.62 by 39 caliber. I heard that there's very few of them on the commercial market and the magazine is extremely hard to find!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
ive got a patriot in green flat top milled upper and lower shoots great when its clean fouls easy very tight mag well makes my bete mag stick verry acurate good trigger too
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]
There are several variations of that unit, depending on the mfg date.

A pic would help, but basically the really early ones have an angle on the bottom of the magwell like any other AR. Later ones have a square bottom on the magwell.

Uppers changed too, from forgings to extrusion.

Recoil springs & buffer tubes changed a couple of times too.

If you want to shoot it a lot, change the mickeymouse recoil assy to a CAR tube / buffer / spring - and it will run like a champ.

I wonder if you can still buy just the upper receiver from the Rocky Mountain Arms as replacement part kit. I heard that they are still in business as well!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
they are still in bussines as bear coatings i talked to them a couple of years ago and they had no parts but maybee things have changed does any one have info on putting in a regular buffer any mods since the buffer tube is a lot shorter
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I wanted to change the buffer tube on my Patriot pistol to the CAR with an internal buffer so I can open the action with just one pin but I couldn't figure out how the buffer tube was fastened to the reciever.

Are they soldered on? or just screwed on real tight?

I think that my buffer spring is a little fatigued/weak but no one sells replacement parts for the PP.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Joey:

Keep your hand on your wallet when you talk to that guy at RMA - I think his name is bob.  I have heard that things may eventually ship, but your credit card may get charged three times too.

Sodie:

The tube in my Patriot was installed with Loctite - a LOT of it.   I grabbed the tube in a vise, and heated the tube near the receiver ring.  By applying constant force while heating, you will feel the part come loose when the loctite softens.  Spin the receiver off as soon as you can, to minimize the heat transfer to the lower.

Tony:

I just pulled the spring seat out of the carrier, and installed a CAR tube that had been turned down to remove the "flag".  I had the modified tube coated with bedliner about an eigth of an inch thick - so no smartass can slip a stock on it...

Lem
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Sodie:

That is an early unit.  Those lowers look like an old E.A. casting.  Most of the ones I have looked at are very thin on one side of the magwell, and show machining marks in that area.

Does your buffer tube cap have a spring detent that must be depressed with a tool to unscrew the cap?

Lem
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is there anybody out there had a Rocky Mountain Arms Patriot pistol and what is the experience of shooting this pistol?????

Arent those the ones that went for crazy money during the AWB???

I would not buy a pistol when you can build your own exactly the way you want it, know the quality and save a lot of money at the same time.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#11]
here is my patriot
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sodie:

That is an early unit.  Those lowers look like an old E.A. casting.  Most of the ones I have looked at are very thin on one side of the magwell, and show machining marks in that area.

Does your buffer tube cap have a spring detent that must be depressed with a tool to unscrew the cap?

Lem

This is an old one. I installed a new flat top upper because the original A1 handle sights were really poor, something like a 4-5" sight radius.

The buffer cap just unscrews, but I think there was an O-ring on the threads.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Sodie:

Yup, those original carry handle sights were the same part LaFrance used on the M16K's - a little blade in the channel held down with two 4-40 screws.

The "O" ring was an early change from the detent - about 150 units into production as far as I can tell from serial numbers.  

The tube will come out as I described before.  A propane torch is all you need for heat.

Tony:

That is a much later unit.  The upper & lower are 6061-T6.  The upper was extruded, and the lower was milled from bar stock by RND machining in Longmont, CO  They were not anodized under the paint, so if you ever strip it to refinish consider anodizing it first.

Lem

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing that I like about the Patriot Pistol upper is the Vortex muzzle brake. It keeps the muzzle flash down and reduce the recoil. Otherwise. I think I would not pay more than $1000.00 for a 223 pistol that can only reach less than 50 yards. I mean it's a great PDW if you can afford it !!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Also I would put an EOTECH 552 on the upper receiver of the patriot pistol instead of the Aimpoint or Trijocon. But again that's just my personal opinion
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Also I would put an EOTECH 552 on the upper receiver of the patriot pistol instead of the Aimpoint or Trijocon. But again that's just my personal opinion

ive been thinking the same thing you really have to hunt for the dot and the aimpoint on it has a 8 minute dot
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Tony:

That is a much later unit.  The upper & lower are 6061-T6.  The upper was extruded, and the lower was milled from bar stock by RND machining in Longmont, CO  They were not anodized under the paint, so if you ever strip it to refinish consider anodizing it first.

Lem

i thought it was supposed to have some super duper teflon bearcoat finish
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top