Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2003 8:27:04 PM EDT
Looking at buying a carbine of one of the two above in flattop. Suggestions of which and why? Not a member yet so search options is limited on history of comparison.

Also - I plan on purchasing a second upper in 20", not sure if I should go A2 or A3/4. Both setups (carbine-TA11) will be used for paper punching. Thanks, Nelson
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:39:11 PM EDT
No first hand experience with Armalite. Had a Bushmaster a while back, sold it. Now have a RRA Car A4 (16" flat-top). Fit, finish, reliability top quality over Bushmaster. IMHO. Good luck in your decision.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:29:22 AM EDT
I had the same problem so I bought both!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:11:26 AM EDT
Armalite would be good to go. Try to buy one at QuanticoArms.com. Dave is a first rate guy and offers a great deal. Rock River is good to go as well. I have pretty much a sampling of all the AR15s currently on the market. Whatever you choose you will not lose. Just pick and enjoy. Max
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:28:26 AM EDT
I have an Armalite M15A2 and fit, finish and overall quality are AAAA+. The only things I don't like are the muzzle break and the [b]heavy[/b] barrel. I assembled a shorty for the wife using a RRA upper and lower as well as RRA fire control group and must say that the fit, finish and quality rival that of Armalites. I'd go with the RRA with M4 chrome lined barrel and it's fake flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:00:36 PM EDT
I love my RRA, probably one of the most underrated AR's. Armalite's are merely Eagle's with the "Armalite" name on them anyway. Eagle bought the rites to the name.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2003 10:02:17 PM EDT by kingcleophus]
I have the Armalite M15A4 Carbine of recent manufacture. It has the barrel metal taken down under the hanguards to lighten the weight. This must be a recent feature added, as it was not special ordered. Also, the barrel is chrome-lined and the chambering is 5.56 NATO.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:03:57 AM EDT
If you go with RRA, make sure you specify you want a chrome-lined barrel if that's what you're looking for. I believe that not all their barrels are chrome-lined.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:55:43 AM EDT
I love my RRA M4gery, I did have to special order it with chrome but I am glad that I did.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:16:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2003 4:21:19 AM EDT by HogSniper]
Another vote for the RRA. Fit & finish is far above any Bushy I've seen. I have an M4gery that shoots very well. Mine is also turned down under the handguard. Accuracy surprised me & I luv the NM 2-stage trigger! Make sure you get a NM lower with the good trigger, well worth every penny.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:18:04 AM EDT
I would recommend Armalite, I own a M15A2 in a 20" and it has never let me down, great rifle, great quaility.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:41:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DRNLS: Looking at buying a carbine of one of the two above in flattop. Suggestions of which and why? Not a member yet so search options is limited on history of comparison.
View Quote
This question comes up all the time. From what I've read, it's almost impossible to buy a BAD rifle as long you buy from one of the big names. I suggest you look at the features available from each, and decide what best fits your price/budget. For me, that choice was the RRA. My thinking was that I'd give up the chrome lined barrel (I'm anal about cleaning anyway) in exchange for the 2-stage trigger (awesome decision) and lower price. RRA's are also easier to be found with the Wilson brake, which gives it that "authentic look". It's only $35 extra and you don't have to hassle with a gunsmith and all the associated costs. My next one will probably be a RRA or Bushy M4 upper. I'm leaning towards the RRA from ADCO with the shortened barrel (16" - 1.25" for the muzzle brake) and chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:55:27 AM EDT
My Armalite carbine has proven accurate and reliable over the years. However, my next AR will be a Rock River Arms. Our relationship with RRA is very strong, and lines of communication are wide open. They make sure we get whatever we need for our customers and their line has manifested itself as a perfect base for our custom creations. I stand behind RRA as an excellent choice in top quality ARs and 1911s. You won't be disappointed. Be well!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:54:09 PM EDT
hey dubb-1, I'm new here and also looking to build my first Ar, does rock river have chrome lined options on the 16" A2 uppers? I've seen complete Rock Rivers at gun shows and I like what I see, and I'm going to order one shortly. Thanks for any info you can give me about this, Dan p.s. good to see you over here, I thought I recognized you from the 1911forum.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:37:30 PM EDT
Buddy, get Rock River carbine. When you are ready to get a 20 inch upper, contact White Oak precision and have John Holliger build you a match upper. Rock River has some of the best lowers. That 20 inch setup will be the Rolls Royce of service rifles. Dropd
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:16:44 PM EDT
Hey go with ARMALITE........ Yo ,did I say go with ARMALITE ,that's right baby armalite!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:49:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DRNLS: Looking at buying a carbine of one of the two above in flattop. Suggestions of which and why? Not a member yet so search options is limited on history of comparison. Also - I plan on purchasing a second upper in 20", not sure if I should go A2 or A3/4. Both setups (carbine-TA11) will be used for paper punching. Thanks, Nelson
View Quote
I would go with the flattop upper (just so there's no comm. probs.) for sure. You've got to have a stable platform to mount your optics - especially for paper punching. I've had ArmaLite's M15A4 carbine for a couple of years now and my only complaint is that I'm not able to shoot it enough !! With the current ArmaLite production you'll get a gun that is a little less weighty than past production and also will have better balance. [b]The "AR" in AR-15 still stands for ARmalite !![/b]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:31:52 AM EDT
Go to Pete at Legal Transfers and have him make a custom upper ,and he has rra nm lowers .Great price great service.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:32:15 AM EDT
[url]www.rbprecision.com[/url] Check them out. They custom build using RRA parts. Their rifles are far tighter than regular factory. Cheaper too!
Top Top