Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 4:13:09 AM EDT
Any insight on this "improved gas ring"????

From here - part number 33
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:22:23 AM EDT
[#1]
i got a set, probably on accident.

checked the bcg i got and it had it on there.

what it does is seal tight with no gaps when installed and bolt inserted into carrier along with added material at the ends so that there is not enough clearance for two rings to "line up". imo same as the regular design but not.

eta: rbprecision was advertising them not too long ago here
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure how they do it, but supposedly it is not possible to align the slots in the gas ring.  The bigger picture looks like they might have some kind of lip so they can't line up.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh, I see.  Thanks for the link.

AFAIK, gas ring alingment has long since been proven to be an old wive's tale.  As long as they don't cost any more than the "standard" rings, I guess I don't care.

Generally speaking, I'm using McFarland rings anyway.  I got about a dozen of them awhile back for a really good price.

I was just curious.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:29:47 AM EDT
[#4]
i picked up some mcfarlands not too long ago to see for myself why everyone else liked them.

they are nice but wouldnt go to great lengths to get them for all ar's i own or will own
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]
These RRA rings make it difficult to insert the bolt into the carrier.  The rings MUST be staggered.  The ends are thicker than the rest of the ring.  They tend to bind on each other as they compress.

I found them so difficult to use, took me quite a while to get the bolt into the bold carrier.  I took them off and put on some regular gas rings.  I will not buy these RRA rings again.

OK, about gas rings... the standard 3 ring set vs a McFarland spiral ring.

I like the McFarland, they will last longer.  I don't agree with the idea that they are a solution to a non problem.  The standard rings will sometimes break off the ends, particularly the rearmost ring.  The McFarland is more rugged.

But the McFarland needs some "break in", at least one mag or so, before it loosens up to normal.  It is quite stiff at first.  IF I were a Soldier or Marine overseas and kept small parts for spares, I would keep standard rings, not the McFarland.  The Soldier may not be able to get range time to break in a McFarland ring.  The standard 3 ring set can be changed, and work properly with no breakin.

For my rifles at home, most of them have the McFarland ring.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
These RRA rings make it difficult to insert the bolt into the carrier.  The rings MUST be staggered.  The ends are thicker than the rest of the ring.  They tend to bind on each other as they compress.

I found them so difficult to use, took me quite a while to get the bolt into the bold carrier.  I took them off and put on some regular gas rings.  I will not buy these RRA rings again.

OK, about gas rings... the standard 3 ring set vs a McFarland spiral ring.

I like the McFarland, they will last longer.  I don't agree with the idea that they are a solution to a non problem.  The standard rings will sometimes break off the ends, particularly the rearmost ring.  The McFarland is more rugged.

But the McFarland needs some "break in", at least one mag or so, before it loosens up to normal.  It is quite stiff at first.  IF I were a Soldier or Marine overseas and kept small parts for spares, I would keep standard rings, not the McFarland.  The Soldier may not be able to get range time to break in a McFarland ring.  The standard 3 ring set can be changed, and work properly with no breakin.

For my rifles at home, most of them have the McFarland ring.

Somewhere I heard or read that you should lightly grease a new McFarland prior to installation.  I don't know why I remember that and I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not, but TIFWIW.  I also heard a claim that McFarlands burn up soon after installation.  It is possible and probable that I heard both of these comments in the same conversation, so maybe one ( the burn out issue) caused the other (the light greasing).  Wish I could remember stuff like this more clearly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
i dont understand the break-in part
but when i installed the mcfarland ring on my bolt i just wiped the bolt and interior of the carrier with some clp and let her rip.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Mongo, "Break in", not really anything but the bolt is tight in the carrier at first.  The first few rounds may require use of the fwd assist.  After a mag or two it will loosen up and feel more like a normal 3 ring set.

The McFarland holds up very well, no problems for me.  A new Armalite I had came with one factory installed.  I've never had to replace a McFarland ring for any reason.

Back to the RRA rings, and the "stagger the ring gaps" issue... the gaps close up to almost nothing when the bolt is in the carrier.  Even if the gaps are lined up, the rifle will still function... I tried it on more than a few occasions.  Once I had one ring with an end broken off, and the two remaining good rings I lined up the gaps.  That rifle still functioned well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i dont understand the break-in part
but when i installed the mcfarland ring on my bolt i just wiped the bolt and interior of the carrier with some clp and let her rip.

You know how internet claims go, but the person claimed to do the same thing and burnt up the McFarland in one use.  It would no longer seal, or the story goes.  It is completely opposite to the experience with the five or so rings I am running right now.  Maybe his did burn up...............maybe I'm getting lucky with the ones I run.......................maybe..............who know.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Dont the gaps on the rings close when the bolt goes in the carrier.Maybe blow by is an issue when the rings wear but Ive lined up the slots and never had any decrease in gas pressure.Hell the 2 holes on the carrier themselves vent gas.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Where can I get the McFarland rings
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Where can I get the McFarland rings

brownells
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:29:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Dont the gaps on the rings close when the bolt goes in the carrier.Maybe blow by is an issue when the rings wear but Ive lined up the slots and never had any decrease in gas pressure.Hell the 2 holes on the carrier themselves vent gas.

yeah they do close the gap when installed but supposedly after some use they wear at the ends and then when they line up they supposedly seep gas.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:50:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AFAIK, gas ring alingment has long since been proven to be an old wive's tale.  

Thats what I used to think too, until I saw it happen.

This then would make the bolt running on one ring a wive's tale then?????  I have seen my bolts come out of operating rifles when cleaning with the rings lined up and it ran fine.  It must be a combination of conditions in which the lined up rings are the last straw, or something like that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#16]
It is my understanding that the NSWC Crane CQBR uses a one-piece gas ring.  I assume that this is the McFarland spiral ring.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AFAIK, gas ring alingment has long since been proven to be an old wive's tale.  

Thats what I used to think too, until I saw it happen.

This then would make the bolt running on one ring a wive's tale then?????  I have seen my bolts come out of operating rifles when cleaning with the rings lined up and it ran fine.  It must be a combination of conditions in which the lined up rings are the last straw, or something like that.

I've shot bolts with only 1 ring, and they work. The only time I saw this was a customers upper I built a couple years ago. He said it shot 4 shots just fine, and then turned into a one shooter. Local guy(he was in our Pat Rogers class actually),  brought it in and I took it over to Schusters to see what was wrong. Gas tubes fine, carrier key is staked, gas block is tight, gas ports lined up. It would work. For shits a giggles we installed a different bolt and carrier and it worked fine.
We took out the bolt and noticed all the rings were lined up. Not sure how they stayed that way, but we moved them around, install and it worked.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#20]
My MacFarland Gas ring wore out rather quickly after a few hundred rounds (OD was smaller than standard 3 piece gas rings by a few thousandths). I'll stick with the standard gas rings.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My MacFarland Gas ring wore out rather quickly after a few hundred rounds (OD was smaller than standard 3 piece gas rings by a few thousandths). I'll stick with the standard gas rings.

Like I said, there's got to be something to that.  I've got one that has thousands on it, including some rough abuse in a carbine class.  It runs like a champ and is still tight in the carrier to this day.  I run them in everything I own, with a few exceptions.  None have issues.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
You can get the McFarland type rings from Armalite, Olympic Arms, and quite a few other places.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#23]
So are there McFarland immitations out there?  Which one is the one that lasts?  Where do you get it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:34:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So are there McFarland immitations out there?  Which one is the one that lasts?  Where do you get it?

i got mine from brownells, it came in litte sealed baggies with mcfarland printed on it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:37:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It's like just about everything out there - the success stories far outnumber the problem stories.  I was using McFarlands long before they became a part of the SOCOM upgrade package, and the fact that is part of that upgrade system should tell most something about its reliablity.  I have zero problems with them and will continue to use them.  When I install new ones, I make sure both the ring and bolt bore in the carrier are well lubricated, and not with CLP.  Use a real oil.  I've had good luck with Miltec.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#26]
So which ones do you have mongo?  Are they McFarland brand, Armalite brand, etc.?

In the past I've posted asking about round counts on McFarland rings and have gotten no response.  I want to know what I can expect from them and if they will last longer than the 3pc rings.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I know for sure that a couple are McFarland, as I bought them labeled that way.  I bought a rather large lot of small parts, and in that lot was about a dozen one piece rings that I assumed were McFarland, becasue I didn't  know there was more than one manufacturer.  I have one at 2k right now with no issues.  I have one over 1k with minor issues immediately after the initial install and those lasted around 20 rounds and went away, so I chalked that up to initial tightness.  No issues with that one either.  I have a couple others that are fairly new, around 500 rounds and both run without issue.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Any insight on this "improved gas ring"????

From here - part number 33

Wasn't aware there was anything wrong with the "old" gas rings...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#29]
There isn't anything wrong with the standard 3pc gas rings.  But there's absolutoley nothing wrong with a longer lasting part.  That's why I've been trying to substantiate (need some hard numbers) the statements I hear from time to time that the McFarlands last longer for some time now.  So far it has been a pretty fruitless search.  Only testimonials of relatively low round counts that the standard 3pc gas rings can do as well.

As far as it being part of Crane's kit... I know it has been used by some of the R&D groups in it, etc. but I have yet to see proof the McFarland 1pc is a Crane-wide standard.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
There isn't anything wrong with the standard 3pc gas rings.  But there's absolutoley nothing wrong with a longer lasting part.  That's why I've been trying to substantiate (need some hard numbers) the statements I hear from time to time that the McFarlands last longer for some time now.  So far it has been a pretty fruitless search.  Only testimonials of relatively low round counts that the standard 3pc gas rings can do as well.

As far as it being part of Crane's kit... I know it has been used by some of the R&D groups in it, etc. but I have yet to see proof the McFarland 1pc is a Crane-wide standard.

Floating around here somewhere is the parts kit description with the NSN.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#32]
i have about a thousand rounds through one and about 500 through one of the others and have never had any problems with it.

i also have one in my .50 beowulf with about 200rds on it without any failure
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#33]
~2k through my McFarland, courtesy of Mongo, with not a hitch thus far.  I'm sticking with them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone at 5k or higher and still running?  Anyone had them work fine for 1-2k (this requirement is to strip out the defective ones) but fail before 5k?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top