Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2005 5:03:36 PM EDT
I was in a gun shop today and the owner told me that there was an evaluation of AR's and that RRA was determined to be the best vs Bushnaster, Armalite, etc...  They were ordered by the DEA and FBI.

Has anyone heard anything about this.  He said that it was in a recent gun publication.
Yes he was selling RRA's.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This is old news and to my knowledge, three companies won contracts for the DEA gun... Sig, Colt and Rock River. Rick River won the smallest portion of the contract as I recall. Even still, that's no small feat for such a small new company. Congrats to them. I know nothing of a FBI contract for RRA.

Was the SIG portion for rifles or handguns? Or both?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]
In case you would like to read the press release... Theres this www.policeandsecuritynews.com/MayJun04/DEA.htm and the article below...

News Release:

December 5, 2003

DEA Awards 5 Year Contract to Rock River Arms.

(Colona, IL)…Rock River Arms has the reputation for producing top quality AR15s and custom 1911s.  What sets Rock River Arms apart from the competition is their versatility to produce weapons to such rigorous specifications.

Many elite AR15 manufacturers submitted weapons for approval but fell short during the abuse test, which was the initial phase of testing.  Rock River Arms AR15 .223/5.56 NATO met the requirements and specifications set forth by DEA.  The abuse test consisted of the parts interchange test, the extreme temperature test, the drop test, the throw test and the corrosion test.  In the parts interchange test, the carbines were field stripped.  The major component parts were randomly interchanged and reassembled.  Each carbine was then loaded and fired and had to perform without malfunction.  During the extreme temperature test, the carbines were placed in a chamber and stabilized at a temperature of minus 20° F for one hour.  Then the weapons were removed and immediately fired at room temperature.  Then the carbines were placed in a temperature chamber where it was stabilized at 120° F for one hour then removed and immediately fired at room temperature.   The weapon then moved on to the drop test from a height of 4 feet and dropped onto a concrete floor six different times on all sides of the carbine.  After completing the drop safety test, the weapon was loaded and had to safely fire 20 rounds with no malfunction to pass.  The throw test consisted of throwing the firearm from a height of four feet and over a distance of 15 feet, once on the right side and once on the left side, then must safely fire 20 rounds with no malfunction.  It was then submerged in salt water and exposed to sand.  After both tests the weapon had to function flawlessly.  

Rock River Arms was one of the selected few that outperformed the other manufacturers and moved on to phase two of the testing.  Phase two was the 5,000 round endurance/functional reliability test.  The testing team consisted of members of the DEA and FBI Firearms Training Unit and the DEA and FBI armorers/gunsmiths.   The team also tested for accuracy, dispersion and velocity.  

Rock River Arms is supplying the DEA with their AR15 chambered in .223/5.56 NATO, equipped with an Eo Tech holo sight, a Surefire rail and white light, a Viking sling and an Eagle Industry carry case.  The DEA awarded Rock River Arms the contract, followed by a substantial purchase order.  The initial order will be delivered this month.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Was the SIG portion for rifles or handguns? Or both?

According to this www.usdoj.gov/jmd/pe/contractlist.htm its the .223 carbines...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Douple tap.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The report doesn't say that the other companies failed the test. So it doesn't mean that RRA outperformed bushy, colt, etc., just that they passed the test and were cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Rick Rock River won the smallest portion of the contract as I recall.  

FBO#0582
10 - Weapons
AWARDS - July 4, 2003

DEA-03-C-0030 - Estimated $115,142,537.00
CARBINE RIFLE
Sigarms, Inc., 18 Industrial Drive, Exeter, N. H. 03833

DEA-03-C-0032 - Estimated $85,923,935.00
CARBINE RIFLE
Rock River Arms, Inc., 1042 Cleveland Road, Colona, Il. 61241

DEA-03-C-0031 - Estimated $113,639,340.00
CARBINE RIFLE
Colt Defense LLC, PO Box 118, Hartford, Ct. 06141

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rick Rock River won the smallest portion of the contract as I recall.  

FBO#0582
10 - Weapons
AWARDS - July 4, 2003

DEA-03-C-0030 - Estimated $115,142,537.00
CARBINE RIFLE
Sigarms, Inc., 18 Industrial Drive, Exeter, N. H. 03833

DEA-03-C-0032 - Estimated $85,923,935.00
CARBINE RIFLE
Rock River Arms, Inc., 1042 Cleveland Road, Colona, Il. 61241

DEA-03-C-0031 - Estimated $113,639,340.00
CARBINE RIFLE
Colt Defense LLC, PO Box 118, Hartford, Ct. 06141

Thats still a hell of a lot of money!  I hope they can use it wisely and maybe be able to offer some new stuff!

-K
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
RRA met the minimum standards and also was the lowest bidder.

in my book,
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This is old news and to my knowledge, three companies won contracts for the DEA gun... Sig, Colt and Rock River. Rick River won the smallest portion of the contract as I recall. Even still, that's no small feat for such a small new company. Congrats to them. I know nothing of a FBI contract for RRA.

For one, Sig and Colt were given contracts because they already had contracts. RRA was a newcomer that got their foot in the door with this whole test and actually beat out Colt and Sig as far as the testing goes. Probably why they got the contract.

DEA and FBI share a lot of information when it comes to weapons, I think they even share test facilities. The FBI is actually gonna stop issuing MP5's in 10mm and start using M4's. I wouldn't doubt it if they were working something out with RRA because of the DEA. The two agencies both issue the same sidearms and same ammo.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

DEA and FBI share a lot of information when it comes to weapons, I think they even share test facilities.

Imagine that. Two Fed.Gov agencies sharing information.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Is SIG supplying the SG 551 or an AR style rifle?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
RRA met the minimum standards and also was the lowest bidder.

in my book,

Yea but they didn't need a second chance like Colt.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is SIG supplying the SG 551 or an AR style rifle?

550 series.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
The DEA carbine trials lasted two weeks and started with 19 companies.

15 companies failed in week one.

The endurance round was held in week two. Two companies chickened out and withdrew from the trials.

The last two companies was Colt and RRA. Both companies had 3 samples. All three Colt guns broke during the endurance round and torture testing, but there was a right to resubmit for a do-over and Colt sent a new batch that passed as one would expect

RRA is the only company to begin and end the trials and pass everything thrown at it without breaking a sweat, and not needing a 2nd chance

All this information has been covered before but for whatever reason certain people have a hard time accepting RRA beating all comers.

RRA was not the lowest bidder because they did not "bid" for the contract. The contract was awarded to RRA because they won and if they didnt get a contract they could have taken the DOJ to court. Glock has taken the fed to court several times because they have been blocked from trials or not awarded contracts even though they have outperformed SIG and HK in government sanctioned testing

Also RRA's award size is related to RRA's production capacity. They couldnt commit to a larger number of units in a certain timeframe so it was impossible for them to get more money

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I think Im sold.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I was in a gun shop today and the owner told me that there was an evaluation of AR's and that RRA was determined to be the best vs Bushnaster, Armalite, etc...  They were ordered by the DEA and FBI.

Has anyone heard anything about this.  He said that it was in a recent gun publication.

You think the govt purchased from RRA because they were better?  I got news for you bub.  They were chosen becasue they were CHEAP.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You think the govt purchased from RRA because they were better?  I got news for you bub.  They were chosen becasue they were CHEAP.

Okay, RRA's bid must have been CHEAP, but their AR15 quality must have been ACCEPTABLE.

Low Price + Acceptable quality = Best value for Govt.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Also RRA's award size is related to RRA's production capacity. They couldnt commit to a larger number of units in a certain timeframe so it was impossible for them to get more money

I bet when they start having a back log on rifles to civilians people here will start screaming, much like they do about complete LMT rifles being hard/impossible to get.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet when they start having a back log on rifles to civilians people here will start screaming, much like they do about complete LMT rifles being hard/impossible to get.

Considering the contract was won almost two years ago, and we can still get rifles, I'd say we're out of the woods.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they were the only company that finished without needing a second chance then I'd say it makes them better.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

usually if one DOJ agency buys a large unit purchase item, the other agencies if interested in that system just "piggyback" their order as part of the contract............
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they were the only company that finished without needing a second chance then I'd say it makes them better.

+1

DEA and FBI HRT don't have to make do with cheap.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top