Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2002 12:37:59 PM EDT
Ok, thanks again everyone for helping me in picking out a AR15.  I think I have finally narrowed it down to RRA.  That was between Bushmaster, Colt, and then RRA.  After the help I recieved and research, I really like what I see with RRA.  I even called and talked to them at RRA.  Great people.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone that has had experience with RRA, if you could please post me any comments you have about RRA.  I would really appreciate.  I will be ordering my gun in a few weeks and just wanted some final words of wisdom before I make my order.  Oh, the gun I picked is the RRA Elite LE Tactical CAR A4.  

And again, thanks for all the help gang.  AR15.com has really been a lot of help to me.  I really appreciate it.

Thanks and take care,

-Lloyd

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You can buy Rock River Arms lowers stripped from Lone Star Wholesale at 4316-Main St. Ste.R150 The Colony, TX 75056 for $100.00. They also sell the lower semi complete minus the buttstock assembly for $185.00 or you can buy the lower complete for $225.00. They charge $5.00 for shipping and you must have a FFL unless you are a Texas resident. Their phone number is 214-8507452.
They have been in business for 30 years. They are not open to the public, so you need to call.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The only thing I don't like about RRA is that they put a two stage trigger in every rifle they make. Two stage is great for slow deliberate fire but in a carbine I like to have quick double tap capability.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Rock River does not put a two stage trigger in every gun they make. You can get them either way. They are $100.00 less with the standard trigger and  hammer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Rock River does not put a two stage trigger in every gun they make. You can get them either way. They are $100.00 less with the standard trigger and  hammer.

My friend ordered a carbine from them last week and they wouldn't put a single stage trigger in his.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#5]
That sounds more to be a vendor issue than a manufacturer issue; I got a complete lower from Legal Transfers w/ out the match trigger also w/ no problem.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They charge $5.00 for shipping and you must have a FFL unless you are a Texas resident.

Are you implying that you can get the lower shipped to you if you live in Texas and do NOT have an FFL??

I'm under the impression that if you ship a firearm (unless you mail it to yourself or somesuch), the receiving person/entity MUST hold a valid FFL.  Even if you ship it in-state.  Is this wrong?

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#7]
im in the same boat as masimusdane. i was about to order a RRA, but i just found a 20" A2 BUSHMASTER ($700)and im having huge second thoughts. i want the RRA M4, but it will be $80 more and i question its ACCURACY even though i have a free floating tube planned for whatever i buy. what kind of groups would this gun deliver. a RRA regular Carbine or Rifle will run me about $50 less than the BM. what should i do? but if i buy the BM ill prolly end up building a lightweight 16" upper later. just so i can have both a light gun and a hunting/target gun. anybody got some input.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a RRA 16inch Carbine with mid length handgrips. It is really a awesome rifle!!
I have a little experience with Ar 15's and previously own two Colt Ar's in the past and I have to say that the RRA is equal in quality.
I'm not knocking Colt in anyway (I love Colt Ar's)The RRA is a really nice rifle you won't be disappointed if you decide to get one..
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
... i was about to order a RRA, but i just found a 20" A2 BUSHMASTER ($700)and im having huge second thoughts. i want the RRA M4, but it will be $80 more and i question its ACCURACY ...

A 20" A2 and an M4 aren't even close to the same gun.  If you want an M4, you probably won't be happy with the BM (especially if you wanted to add optics) so I'd say save up the $80 and get what you really want.  I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between them in accuracy.  What you'll lose is the chrome-lined barrel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
no, you can have the chrome line too,RRA has a upgrade for only 35 dollars
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
wish i could get the chrome lined RRA M4. my particular source is whats in stock only. but since everyone thinks the M4 will still be accurate i guess ill just get that.'

thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey thanks everyone.  I really appreciate all the help and info.  I guess it still looks like I am for the RRA.  And I called RRA and yes they chrome the barrels for 35 dollars and they add muzzle breaks for 30 dollars.  Just wanted to throw that in.  I don't know about the triggers.  Are the single stage really better than the double?  I have no idea, so please keep the info coming.....

Thanks and take care,

Lloyd

Link Posted: 10/18/2002 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
If you deviate any from the way RRA rifles are listed in their catalog, be prepared to wait up to three months for your complete rifle.  I think some of their suppliers of barrels and other parts are having problems keeping up with demand.  They say two to three weeks for a "stock" rifle.  

Their rifles seem more black than Bushmasters and Colts, more like Armalites and are very attractive with very good upper and lower fit.  

I wish they would help sponsor this site and answer questions in the Industry Forum though as they have some great products listed in their catalog.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I built a all RRA m4 and it is a great gun. I would recommond RRA to anyone. Check out Pete-in-NH or Georgia Precision for your RRA parts or complete guns.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Do yourself a favor...Before buying off the shelf at some dealer and settling for something you may not want, consider contacting Pete-In-NH/Legal Transfers from the industry board and see if he can fill your order.  Pete's turn around time on RRA lowers and uppers is extremely fast.  Chances are if he doesn't have a complete lower or upper of proper configuration sitting there waiting to go, he can probably assemble one from stripped receivers and parts in quick time for you.

Check him out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#16]
My BM is off being rebarreled with a chrome-lined 16" RRA barrel with faux-FS sleeve.  I thought it was exclusive from Pete in NH but it turns out you can get them from the source if you call RRA directly.  Anyway, the point of my story here is in that after talking to my local Gunshop guy/smith, he told me he knows the guys from RRA very well, and even went on to tell me that they are basically a "basement operation" with a couple of guys in the basement working the machines, and their wives and daughters working the phones up stairs.  Interesting information, and proof that it is indeed a small world.  He also insisted on their quality, and I trust the guy alot...  
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They charge $5.00 for shipping and you must have a FFL unless you are a Texas resident.

Are you implying that you can get the lower shipped to you if you live in Texas and do NOT have an FFL??

I'm under the impression that if you ship a firearm (unless you mail it to yourself or somesuch), the receiving person/entity MUST hold a valid FFL.  Even if you ship it in-state.  Is this wrong?

-Gloftoe

It actually depends on State Regulations.  For personal sales, the ATF only requires the rifle to be shipped to an FFL holder if it's traveling accross state lines unless you are shipping it to yourself at another place of residence (i.e. you can't ship a firearm to yourself at a hotel for a hunting trip).  Dealers, however, do need a face to face with the purchaser in order to fill out the proper Brady form.

Different states, different rules though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks again for the help.  The more I read, the better RRA sounds to me.  Like I had posted earlier, I talked with them on the phone and they really seem like great people.  The quality from what I have found is exceptional.  And the info about them being a basement operation, that I didn't know.  I knew it was owned by 2 brothers though.  Anyway, thanks and I feel pretty confident that I will purchase the RRA.

Again thanks and take care,

-Lloyd
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey Llyod-

I have a RRA M4 Entry model, and the best way to describe my satisfaction with it is to say it IS my favorite gun that I own.  And I own a few nice ones.  I went with the entry model because it was the best looking postban M4 that I have seen.  It has the 16 in. barrel with the pressed on flash hider that gives it a nice look.  Fit and finish are perfect.

I put one of their post-ban tele stocks on mine (I didn't want that entry stock) and I had them chrome-line the barrel.  I got the sense that they would be willing to meet your own specifications.  They seemed good that department.  

I would have gone through a person besides of calling RRA directly, but no one had exactly what I wanted at the time, so I did go straight to RRA.  Unless they've gotten better about e-mails, don't even try it.  I had to call them.  That was a little annoying.

The only complaint that I have with RRA is that they are SLOW.  I was told that the chrome barrel would take about 4 weeks, and the gun another 3.  And it did take about 2 months for them to ship it out.  I think at the time they had just gotten the chrome M4 barrels so maybe now there wouldn't be such a delay.

Overall I can tell you that my experience with RRA was great, despite the wait.  The wait was worth it- what a nice gun.  I have seen some Bushys and some Colts since I got mine, and they are nice too, but don't get me wrong, I like my RRA M4 better.  If you go with the RRA, you made a wise choice.  Others across AR-15.com seem to echo the same words of praise.  Have fun with your new gun!
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You can buy Rock River Arms lowers stripped from Lone Star Wholesale at 4316-Main St. Ste.R150 The Colony, TX 75056 for $100.00. They also sell the lower semi complete minus the buttstock assembly for $185.00 or you can buy the lower complete for $225.00. They charge $5.00 for shipping and you must have a FFL unless you are a Texas resident. Their phone number is 214-8507452.
They have been in business for 30 years. They are not open to the public, so you need to call.

Finally someone knows where to get these locally at good prices!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The only complaint that I have with RRA is that they are SLOW.  I was told that the chrome barrel would take about 4 weeks, and the gun another 3.  And it did take about 2 months for them to ship it out.  I think at the time they had just gotten the chrome M4 barrels so maybe now there wouldn't be such a delay.

Got my post-ban RRA chrome lined barrel in a couple days  from Pete-in-NH.  Super fast service.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top