Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2003 6:01:28 PM EDT
How is it pros? Cons?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#1]
RRA tends to make a decent product from what i have gathered and from what i have shot.

Aside from that though, i have never shot the entry model. I have held it though, and it is extremely short. I'm not super tall at 6'1", but damn, i felt like i had to pull my head BACK a little to keep the charge handle out of my nostril. That's just personal preference though.

I'm sure it's a fine gun, and if you like the feel of a collapsed stock but don't want or can't afford a pre-ban, it's probably great.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:49:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Where in ct are you from? also can you recomend any pre bans?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh, alright! Didn't even notice you were from CT. I never bother to look since nobody ever is. Uh, i live and work in Windsor, but me and a group of friends shoot at two places in Glastonbury and one spot down in Monroe.

As far as pre bans go, we can't transfer anything that's stamped "AR 15" or "Sporter" here (CT). Bushmasters are nice but tend to demand about as much as a Colt. I would say look for a pre-ban Olympic. Decent quality and the price seems to be a bit less.

One thing to remember is in CT we have our own version of the AWB that was adopted at the same time as the federal one. Only real difference is ours never sunsets. So if the federal one does we are still going to have to track down pre-ban lowers to build from.

I guess if the federal AWB does sunset though the prices on lowers will drop, so that's good.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#4]
where in monroe do you shoot? I am from westport and i hate shooting at forestandfield?
Indoors, outdoors etc. Also have you seen any good deals on prebans in our area?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine lives off Hammertown Road in Monroe. He owns a good bit of acreage there (around 14 i believe) with nobody to one side or behind. So we shoot at his place. The clear part of the land that we shoot on get's out to around 120 yds too.

It's nice shooting on private property... blast at whatever we find, you know? TV's, lamps, any old crap he doesn't want hangin around.

As far as the pre-bans go, nothing much here in CT. Your best bet would be to find a local FFL that will do your paperwork. Check the Equipment Exchange board here (lots of stuff to be had for a good price), and when you find something have it sent to your shop.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]
BILLSMITH007
 I just replaced an A2 stock and put an Entry stock on my RRA R4 and I think its sweet, being locked in postban land makes me feel like I have a carbine finally , its as long as a collapsible closed and I agree with new-ar15guy it is close to the nostril but so is a collapsible stock when its closed , I have a single point adapter that added about a quarter of an inch and I will either get a stock extension adapter or add a rubber butt pad this should put it right where I want it. And a trapdoor butt plate fits on the Entry stock and I have more storage space in the A2 stock. With a jacket on or body armor the Entry stock would well suited for long armed knuckle draggers like myself. No complaints whatsoever with the guns performance at all either chrome lined or non chromed barrels it comes with a Hogue grip decent handguards the Tactical carry handle is a waste I ordered my second gun with out it .But I feel and if you watch the posts here 007 it seems like a RRA is the way to go .It doesn't have a Horse a Snake a Knight in shining armor , but it wears out the center of the target !!!    
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently built my second M4 which happens to be All RRA. The RRA Entry Tac is a great AR. About 500 rounds thru with no malfunctions whatsoever. The fit and finish is excellent. Everything including the picatinny rails are in spec.

However I went with the pinned M4 stock as I've fired a Entry Tac with the stubby stock and it is too damn short and uncomfortable for most applications, unless you are wearing thick entry armor with plates and pouches and bags and ropes, and caribiners and shit hanging off of it.

Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Hoffmans has one in stock for $900.  I am going to get one in a few months, prob do the chrome line barrel, and do the full stock or or Skeleton stock.  Short stock is way to short for my tastes, doesnt feel right.

why should I avoid the tactical detachable carry handle?  Just curious, it adds $50 from the standard detach carry handle..
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#10]
TAZ575
I think its a waste here's why a scope w/40mm objective obscures the iron sights , the weight its around a pound ,if it was made for an Eotech may as well mount it on the flat-top puts it closer to the center of the bore, its butt ugly , they call it a carry handle , how do yo carry it by that , it does have a compartment on the side I guess is for a battery but for what ? its an small threaded hole which will impede a 30mm ring if mounted ant that position on the rail, for the money and I am thankful mine came with the gun I couldn't see spending $$ on it as an after market item , in fact I shipped it to a guy free he paid the freight , whose post I read a couple of weeks ago who is going to build a RRA and just loved that handle , it was my good deed fella's and it was my only one ...
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah, ok.  Glad I asked about it before I got one.  Yes, I do think they look cool, but if they don't provide any advantage, and it doesnt provide a good mount for optics, why pay the extra $50??  
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hoffmans has one in stock for $900.  I am going to get one in a few months, prob do the chrome line barrel, and do the full stock or or Skeleton stock.  Short stock is way to short for my tastes, doesnt feel right.

why should I avoid the tactical detachable carry handle?  Just curious, it adds $50 from the standard detach carry handle..
View Quote

BAH!- Build your own for less than $700 with the Chrome lined barrel/A2 stock /pinned telestock thru Steve at ADCO.

The detachable carry handle-well yeah looks cool and all but it is kinda heavy, beefy and was only made to accomodate an Aimpoint and the standard Aimpoint ring. If you are getting an Aimpoint there are MUCH better mounting options such as Aimpoint QRP and the ARMS M68 and a good BUIS(ARMS #40A). The "tac" carry handle just doesn't give you too many mounting/cowitnessing options.

Oh and stay away from Badger "Tac" Ladges.
There is nothing "tactical" about aggravation.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Badger tac latches = bruises and sore ribs by all means stay away from them ,another cool looking waste of money - SPI has a couple of Tac latches that are much kinder to the flesh !
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi, I'm also from CT and wanted to add a couple of thiings about the CT ban.

Remember, the CT ban's structure is fundamentally different from the federal ban.  The Federal ban is based on "evil" features.  The CT ban is based on NAMED weapons.  

That means that if you own a post ban (legally ct transferable) weapon in CT and the Federal ban sunsets, you will be able to add all the features of the older pre ban weapons to your post ban guns.  

i.e.  on Nov 2004 (I think thats the right date)  you could legally affix a bayonet (sp?) lugged barrel, and collapsable stock to a post ban gun.  

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Don in Essex, CT  (work in Enfield)
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#17]
...not 100% true Don. At least i don't think so. I don't know all the laws, or even most of them, but there are "feature" provisions written into our (CT) AWB as well as the named weapons. If you read the full version there is the same "assult weapons are weapons with any two or more of these features" crap.

One thing i am sure of though is the sunset date. The sunsetting of the FEDERAL AWB is Sept. of '04. However, when the original AWB was written (with the sunset provision) Connecticut adopted it's own version. The only real difference between the CT AWB and the Federal AWB is there is no sunset date built in. This means that if the federal AWB goes bye-bye, we in CT still are legally obligated to follow our AWB. [:(!]

Unles we elect someone into office here who goes in and has this ban repealed (not F-ing likely), or unles someone takes the state of CT to court because THE ASSULT WEAPONS BAN IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL, we are stuck with the ban forever! [V]

The moral of the story is, if you want all the goodies here in CT, you have to buy a "pre-ban" (assembled into full rifle before Sept. of 1994 that doesn't say ar or sporter on the side) now or 10 years from now. period. [:(]

...that is of course, as i said before, we convince our great state that the CT ban should be repealed.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh, I'm gonna build it myself:  Basically the M4 Tact Entry upper with chrome line barrel, standard detachable carry handle, Standard lower, etc.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top