Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/15/2004 7:11:17 AM EST
I'm planning on sinking some money into a new build and want to put a MRP upper on it but am undecided on whether go go with a 16" barrel and carbine length upper or the same barrel and a rifle length upper.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kurt
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:27:36 AM EST
Mine is the rifle length MRP with 16" barrel. I wanted the extra real estate of rail, plus I think it looks really great. Extra length gives you more flexibility to put lights, lasers, etc., and a longer sight radius for iron sight backup. Protects barrel better. It is heavier, but no so much so that it's bad. You just gotta grab that thing tight and shoot like you mean it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:28:38 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:43:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/15/2004 9:44:33 AM EST by Zak-Smith]
Look over here for a comparison: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=206104&page=1

SMGLee's rifle w/ 14.5+Vortex.
bsbg's rifle w/ 16"
pcurtis' carbine + 16.
my rifle + 18"

The extra 4" or whatever of skeletonized aluminum doesn't weigh very much, maybe a few ounces.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:07:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/15/2004 1:08:32 PM EST by bsbg]
Save you a click - rifle length

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:39:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:
Look over here for a comparison: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=206104&page=1
SMGLee's rifle w/ 14.5+Vortex.
bsbg's rifle w/ 16"
pcurtis' carbine + 16.
my rifle + 18"
The extra 4" or whatever of skeletonized aluminum doesn't weigh very much, maybe a few ounces.

It really depends on what your looking for in terms of the application. To me, the rifle length extra weight matters. I like my carbines as lean as possible. But the capable of adding additional rail mounted gear on the CQB is almost the same as the rifle length. The only difference is which rail its on and does works for you. I'm very flexable in this respect.

If you have the application for the IR or any visable laser aiming device is required and it must be mounted on the top rail, then the rifle length is your choice. An additional consideration is the sling you plan to use, again, if its a single point then the rifle length is the best choice. It will save you some discomfort if you have to transition to a handgun (hot barrel). I use a CQB #198 ERB on the one that Zak references. If I used a sling point with that weapon, then I would have opted for a rifle length. I have single point on other (carbines) and they have DD9.0 forends or longer The bottom line is how do YOU (your application)intend to use the weapon.

If in doubt, then error on the longer rail. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:14:59 PM EST
I like the carbine size on mine

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:40:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/15/2004 5:41:04 PM EST by Zak-Smith]

Originally Posted By pcurtis:
If you have the application for the IR or any visable laser aiming device is required and it must be mounted on the top rail, then the rifle length is your choice. An additional consideration is the sling you plan to use, again, if its a single point then the rifle length is the best choice. It will save you some discomfort if you have to transition to a handgun (hot barrel). I use a CQB #198 ERB on the one that Zak references. If I used a sling point with that weapon, then I would have opted for a rifle length. I have single point on other (carbines) and they have DD9.0 forends or longer The bottom line is how do YOU (your application)intend to use the weapon.

You know, I've given thought to trading my rifle-length MRP for the CQB MRP receiver. The things I mount out that far on the rails are (1) Troy Buis (2) GG&G sling thing, and sometimes a bipod. Eventually I will break down and buy a surefire for my house gun. I think a 14.5" or 16" barrel on a CQB receiver will be more convenient than the rifle length receiver.

One other advantage of rifle-length tubes is that when you are shooting from random field positions and have the opportunity to brace the fore-end of the gun on a barricade, tree, window, whatever, the longer tube will add stability by increasing distance from the fulcrum to the stock (similar to putting the bipod as far forward as possible). Also, the longer tube will be the thing to contact other objects while shooting instead of the barrel.

And heck, I can always whip out the band saw and dremel tool!

-z
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:45:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:

Originally Posted By pcurtis:If you have the application for the IR or any visable laser aiming device is required and it must be mounted on the top rail, then the rifle length is your choice. An additional consideration is the sling you plan to use, again, if its a single point then the rifle length is the best choice. It will save you some discomfort if you have to transition to a handgun (hot barrel). I use a CQB #198 ERB on the one that Zak references. If I used a sling point with that weapon, then I would have opted for a rifle length. I have single point on other (carbines) and they have DD9.0 forends or longer The bottom line is how do YOU (your application)intend to use the weapon.

You know, I've given thought to trading my rifle-length MRP for the CQB MRP receiver. The things I mount out that far on the rails are (1) Troy Buis (2) GG&G sling thing, and sometimes a bipod. Eventually I will break down and buy a surefire for my house gun. I think a 14.5" or 16" barrel on a CQB receiver will be more convenient than the rifle length receiver.

One other advantage of rifle-length tubes is that when you are shooting from random field positions and have the opportunity to brace the fore-end of the gun on a barricade, tree, window, whatever, the longer tube will add stability by increasing distance from the fulcrum to the stock (similar to putting the bipod as far forward as possible). Also, the longer tube will be the thing to contact other objects while shooting instead of the barrel.

-z

Zak, I run a Harris bipod & ARMS #32 mount on the CQB also. I've not had any issues to date. But you make a good point concerning barricades etc, the rifle length does provide a solid resting point with less barrel exposed to a potential threat.

-z

I would keep the rifle length (with 16" barrel) and just get a CQB version. I run mine as shown in the other thread, but also run it with an Aimpoint M2. After I get my new Reece built back from Wes, I'll need to decide on the next "twin", the MRP or the Reece. Damn, too many choices..
Top Top