Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/4/2002 6:59:22 PM EDT
I bought a rifle from a board member that will for now remain name-less. The rifle has had a string of problems for only having fired "around 500 rounds” Mainly the bolt will not fully close with the trigger pulled. I charge the rifle, dry-fire, then while still holding the trigger re-charge the rifle and the bolt will only close halfway. As soon as I release the trigger the bolt will completely close? Any Ideas?

-NeedAclip
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:01:52 PM EDT
Hello: The hammer is catching on the firing pin and gauling up your cotter pin. The fire control group needs replacement. I had one that did that with a brand new RRA two stage. Switched it out with the second set and off she went just fine. I suspect you have M16 parts, trigger and disconnector anlong with a weak spring pushing the disconnecter up from the trigger. I suspect the hammer is not being held down fully by the disconnector. That why you should get a spring and fire control kit from DPMS. I have it in my EA, no trouble since.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2002 9:44:08 PM EDT by Dano523]
It's not that bad, you shouldn't need to change out anything.

First step is to look at the disconnector just behind the hook. See if you see a line where the hammer tail is binding up on the diconnector. If it is, then just use a file and remove some metal from the tail of the hammer.

Then check the hammer. Chances are that you have a modified M-16 hammer with the auto tab ground off. On the M-16 carrier, the firing pin is hooded and the hammer is pressed down to ride over the section. On a semi carrier, the pin is not hooded and is used to catch the hammer if the the hammer follows threw with the carrier.

What is required is to round the top back edge of the hammer to the height of a true semi-hammer. You will not need to cut in the catch hook, but will need to re-contour the top. The easiest way is to work in a rolling stroke and just relieve/round the edge until you have the correct height.

Also, I can't find a photo of the two hammers, but maybe someone has the listing for them.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 10:43:40 AM EDT
Top Top