Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2004 7:36:46 PM EDT
OK, now that I can, I plan on building 3 rifles for my kids.  (9yr old and 2-6 yr olds).  I plan to teach them to shoot with them, and some day, hopefully hand them down.  Looking for very light rifle, but tossing ideas around.  Would like to build 3 identical rifles to keep arguements to a minimum.

So far;

3 Ameetec lowers
3 RRA parts kits
3 RRA 6 position stocks
3 RRA enhanced bolt carriers with charge handle

Next planned purchase

3 Bushy superlight uppers; thinking A2, but may go A3.

And for the nauseating part, I promised them I would paint the furniture whatever color they want.

Son wants yellow, 1 daughter wants pink, 1 daughter wants purple

I figure 'what the heck'.  If it gets them more interested in shooting, I don't care if one has pink polka dots.

Anyway, any input?  A3 be better for possible sigts later?  Anything I haven't thought about?  An A3 platform wouldn't add that much weight, but would a good bit of versatitlity.   Also would be quite a nice SHTF arsenal should one need it

Thanks
Doc

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Kids are hard on gear. I'd get A1/C7 uppers just for simplicity. They're also cheap, and retain their diminished value well. When it's time to move up, it shouldn't be hard to resell them for close to cost and get some A3s. Model1 has LW barrels for $135, if you're thinking about that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are doing one for kids, look at some of the "tabs" that attatch to the charging handles. Makes it much easier for kids to pull back. Ameetec and a few others have them. My 9 and 11 year old love to shoot. I like a heavier rfle for young kids.  Shoot it on a bench with a bag and the heavier rifles seem not kic as much for kids.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Would you prefer to get pre-colored furniture from Cav Arms?

I hear their stuff is super

- BG
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Would like to build 3 identical rifles to keep arguements to a minimum.

I can hear it now: [Whiny kid voice on/] "Daddy he got more ammo than me!" [Whiny kid voce off/]

Sorry I Couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Would like to build 3 identical rifles to keep arguements to a minimum.

I can hear it now: [Whiny kid voice on/] "Daddy he got more ammo than me!" [Whiny kid voce off/]

The solution to that is to tell them they can shoot one mag full of ammo for every three they load for you.  Then they can shoot as much as they want, and you get your mags loaded for you to boot!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top