Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2010 9:12:32 PM EDT
Any speculation on why Colt uses a 4 position receiver extension?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Cause they have made them that way since the beginning.  If it ain't broke...

But I really don't know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Begining was a two position stock on the XM177's.  Maybe because that's what Uncle Sam specifies on the M4 series.  Easy to take a drill/drill press to add additional holes.

CD
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I can work with it, but I've always found it odd that they skip a space between the first and second hole.  I actually prefer to use the location where that space is on 5 position stocks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I could be wrong but I thought Colt finally switched to 6 position receiver extensions a year or so ago?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:06:26 AM EDT
[#5]
cause they suck!!!
Flame suit on..
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
cause they suck!!!
Flame suit on..

More to the point…
Because they are way behind the industry leaders…
They have been resting on past accolades for decades and they don’t care what the customer base wants unless your name is Uncle Sam.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
cause they suck!!!
Flame suit on..

More to the point…
They have been resting on past accolades for decades and they don’t care what the customer base wants unless your name is Uncle Sam.

Sigh...

You are correct that Colt uses a four position extension because that's what their largest customer (Uncle Sugar) wanted.

But resting on past accolades? You're killing me brother How many "industry leaders" would even have a product line, were it not for expired Colt patents and innovations?

The current piston craze is my favorite. Take a look at the piston system in this pic:

Look familiar? How many "industry leaders" are using a virtually identical configuration to Colt's 1968 piston design?

Colt has had an adjustable gas block on their piston guns forever as well. Does this block look familiar?

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
cause they suck!!!
Flame suit on..

More to the point…

And Uncle Same has purchased literally millions of rifles from them, I would listen to them before the gun buying public as well.  Colt's commercial presence is merely an afterthought, we are not their primary concern.  Other manufacturers absolutely have to listen to the commercial customer because they don't get gigantic military contracts, but you'd better believe they would ditch us in a heartbeat if it meant becoming the sole supplier of M16's and M4's to the US military.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I could be wrong but I thought Colt finally switched to 6 position receiver extensions a year or so ago?

I have a very recent production 6920 and it has the 4 position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top