User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/9/2007 2:31:13 PM EDT
INTRO:
It seems like I ordered this scope 6 months ago, but in reality it was only 3 months.  It finally arrived today and here is my review:

SPECIFICATIONS:
Price:  $1, 900.00.  (LE pricing significantly lower.).
Magnification:  1x-6x.
Reticle Position:  Second Focal Plane (SFP).
Weight:  16.2oz.
Length:  11.25".
Eye Relief:  3.74".
Field of View @ 100yds:  127.5'-20.4'.
Exit Pupil:  9.6mm-4mm.
Center Dot @ 100yds on 1x:  8.89MOA.
Center Dot @ 100yds on 6x:  1.48MOA.
Outer Ghost Ring @ 100yds on 1x:  113.8MOA.
Outer Ghost Ring @ 100yds on 6x:  18.79MOA.
Butler Creek Covers:
Eye:  #20.
Objective:  #02A.

INITIAL THOUGHTS:
When I first pulled it out of the box and picked it up, I thought it was just the right length and weight for a 1x6 scope (For comparison, it is almost identical in length and weight to a Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope.).  The glass on this scope is top notch.

ILLUMINATION:
One of the reasons I bought this scope was due to the fact that the illumination was daytime visible.  I turned on the illumination and went outside and confirmed that it was indeed daytime visible.  Both the center dot and outer ghost ring illuminate and it is very similar to the EOTech and Leupold CQ/T Circle dot reticle.  The illumination is bright like the Short Dot.  The reticle color is orange-yellow (more towards the yellow side.).

The nice part of the illumination system is the way it was designed.  There is switch that has the Night/Off/Day positions on it.  So to turn it on, just flip the switch to the right and it comes on with the last brightness setting it was on when you turned it off.  To adjust the brightness, just press the +/- signs on op of the illumination control.  It has a 3 hour shut-off when used in the Day position and a 5 hour shut-off when used in the Night position.  And there is also a low battery indicator built in.

MAGNIFICATION:
I initially thought this scope was not a true 1x scope, but with Devl's recommendation, I adjusted the diopeter and it is indeed a true 1x scope.

RETICLE:
The reticle is the Illuminated Circle Dot, which is located on the Second Focal Plane (SFP).  What that means is that the reticle stays the same at any magnification.  For this type of scope, I actually prefer a SFP reticle since you are not going to be using this reticle for holdovers.  If you noticed on the specifications above, the center dot is a 1.48MOA dot on 6x and 8.89MOA dot on 1x @100 yards.  If for some reason the illumination does not work, the reticle is very much usable without the illumination on.

TURRETS:
This in my opinion is the only negative about this cope.  Each click is .15Mil @100 meters (.54" @100 yards.).  The bad part about the turrets is that there are no numbers on the turrets, just lines, so you can't have any sort of BDC.  The only thing you can really do is count clicks.  The one nice feature is that you can reset the turrets by just pulling up on the knob and turning it to the zero you want and then push the knob back down.

CONCLUSSION:
IMHO, this would be the perfect scope with the right turrets.  I still think it is an awesome scope and I do not regret purchasing it, especially for the price I got it for.

Edit:  I made my own BDC marks using the "Brother" label making machine and it looks very nice and it is very helpful, so that takes care of the turret problem.

POSITIVES:
*  Range of Magnification.
*  Daytime visible Reticle.
*  Glass.

NEGATIVES:
*  Turrets.
*  Cost.

RETICLE PICTURES:1x no illumination:

1x with illumination:
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Umm... may I be the first to ask... where are the reticle pics!?!?

At what range did you check to see if it was 1X or 1.1X?  Did you mess with the diopter adjustment to see if that changed the perceived magnification?
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Umm... may I be the first to ask... where are the reticle pics!?!?

At what range did you check to see if it was 1X or 1.1X?  Did you mess with the diopter adjustment to see if that changed the perceived magnification?

Don't I feel stupid now.  After messing with the diopeter adjustment, it is a true 1x.  I'll have to change the thread above.  I'll take some reticle pics tomorrow outside.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
That scope is the heat. the illumination during the day is more than adequate and the scope sets up great on the rifle with a larue mt. If it didnt cost and arm and a leg and a couple of other body parts that I feel I need to maintain masculinity I would have one. $1900 is a lot to put into a scope. I like the reticle and the eye relief is ecellent. The shooter at our club who just brought it in is wealthy beyond words, and if he sees or hears of something trick like that he has it in a couple of days. I am going to try and get it from him and shoot a match with it to see if it is better than myTR21r . I think that the only place it will be better is out at 300 or more.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Did I miss the price?
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 2:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:Did I miss the price?

They go for $1, 900.00, but if you are LE the prices are significantly lower.  Swarovski wouldn'T even talk to me about LE pricing until they got a copy of my ID.
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got back from the range where I zeroed the scope and shot about 200 rounds.  The glass and field of view are amazing.  The reticle is very bright, but not as bright as an EOTech on the highest setting.  I tried taking some reticle pictures, but they didn't come out right.  I'll try again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow i think i ran across a new favortie scope. I didnt realize someone made a scope in that profile with more than a 4x power and still maintain so close to true 1x. unforunatly my college eduaction has to come first other wise i would try and buy one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:Nice Paulo, have you tossed it on the 6.8 yet?

Yes.  The rifle above in the first post is the 20" Ko-Tonics upper that I just got.  I took it out today and fired 200 rounds.  Very nice scope.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#11]
RETICLE PICTURES:1x no illumination:

1x with illumination:

1x with illumination:

NOTE:  The illumination is much brighter that the two pictures show.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted

1x with illumination:

Not picking nits at all because Im sure its a fantastic scope, but doesnt it look a hair over 1x in that image?
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Originally Posted

1x with illumination:
i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/img011.jpg

Not picking nits at all because Im sure its a fantastic scope, but doesnt it look a hair over 1x in that image?

When I first got the scope, Ithought it wasn't a tue 1x scope but after messing with the diopeter adjustment it appears to be a true 1x scope.  If you look closely at the top rail of the deck, it is the same size when in the reticle and out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#14]
All true 1X scopes will have greater than 1X magnification at very close range.  You will always be seeing things with the non dominant eye from several inches further back than the image gathered at the objective of the scope.  At longer distances (say 10 yards) you cannot see a difference but inside 10 feet it will become more and more noticable the closer things are to the scope.  If you put your finger a few inches in front of the objective you will see your finger is the same size through the scope as it would be if it were a few inches in front of your off eye yet the scope view is going to be a good foot further away.  So it could easily be 2X or more at super close range but the difference will beome less and less with range till you no longer notice the foot or so difference in perspecive of your off eye compared to the objective's distance from the target.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to take it out to 300 yards this weekend to see how it does.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
All true 1X scopes will have greater than 1X magnification at very close range.  You will always be seeing things with the non dominant eye from several inches further back than the image gathered at the objective of the scope.  At longer distances (say 10 yards) you cannot see a difference but inside 10 feet it will become more and more noticable the closer things are to the scope.  If you put your finger a few inches in front of the objective you will see your finger is the same size through the scope as it would be if it were a few inches in front of your off eye yet the scope view is going to be a good foot further away.  So it could easily be 2X or more at super close range but the difference will beome less and less with range till you no longer notice the foot or so difference in perspecive of your off eye compared to the objective's distance from the target.

Cool.  Good info.  Thanks Dev.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
   I think this scope would be a great package for the M4-62 or the GPC 343  reticle!!!

Ed
 GRSC INC

I would like the GPC 343 reticle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:Can you shoot easily with both eyes open at 1x?  Thanks

Vic

It works very much like an EOTech at 1x, except the reticle is yellow and the center dot is much bigger (8.89 MOA).  I shoot everything with both eyes open so I think it works great.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Received mine today.  While I have not shot w/ it mounted yet I am very impressed w/ the quality of the glass.  For the money I was expecting one hell of a scope and got it!  

Larue mount is coming on Tues.  Can't wait.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 6:03:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice review Paul...

I've had my Swaro z6i for 2 months now and love it!  I am fortunate to have the luxury of owning a number of great scopeds over the years and this is THE top of the heap!

IMHO it is as close to 1x as I've ever seen (incl. Meopta & S&B), the daytime illumination is fantastic (much better than Paul's photo shows - as indicated).  That said, I still us an Aimpoint M4 on my 10.5" SBR.

I would have to agree with the turret comments although I don't intend to swap the scope off my SPR - once she's dialed in you are pretty good to go!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z302/mpardun/MP_SPR_RT.jpg
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#24]
So if the reticle is lit better than the outdoor pics indicate can someone post a pic that they feel gives a better rendition of what you see when using the scope in daylight?
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#25]
DT
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So if the reticle is lit better than the outdoor pics indicate can someone post a pic that they feel gives a better rendition of what you see when using the scope in daylight?

If you go to the link below and on the right side of the link, click on "view through it" and then click on "illumination".  That is what it looks like.

z6.swarovskioptik.com/?l=US&DirectLink=Z6_Vollansicht
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#27]
My brother-in-law is a Swarovski dealer and I had the chance to play with one for quite a while last summer. It is indeed a true 1x and it worked well for me with both eyes open.

Pretty damn sweet to go from 1x to 6x in one scope. The glass is so clear it is as though there is no glass in it.

Bill
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Got one earlier in the week.  Put 200 rounds thru Ko-TOnics 6.8 today.  Very nice.  Best glass I own.  True 1x!  It's like there is no glass.  It;s that clear.  Agree w/ paulo on the turrets.  Needs numerical markings.  Not the end of the word.  At these prices and level of perfection, thats right perfection, it gets picky.  

Illumination seems great.  It's new so durability will tell in time.  What I really like is how easy eyes open shooting is.  Perfect for what it's meant.  Kudso to Swarovski!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Just an update:  I made my own BDC marks using the "Brother" label making machine and it looks very nice and it is very helpful, so that takes care of the turret problem.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#30]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Lets see pics of the BDC!  That was a great idea BTW.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:Lets see pics of the BDC!  That was a great idea BTW.

I'll try to take pics when I get home tonight.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#33]
That is a sweet looking scope. Too bad they are $1900 for regular folks, otherwise I'd love to have one. That's a bit out of my range though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#34]
This is the best picture I could take.  I just used the "Brother" labeling machine with the clear tape with black letters.  It is easy to do so if anyone needs help let me know.  In person, it looks and works great.  For the picture, I had to turn the knob to show the numbers.

Link Posted: 12/12/2007 6:15:58 AM EDT
[#35]
I want one. I have an email into the for an LEO price. I hope its closer to 1300.
Pat
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:
   I think this scope would be a great package for the M4-62 or the GPC 343  reticle!!!AMEN!
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#37]
The illuminated reticle of this is supposed to be Aimpoint bright but your pictures do not show that to be true.  Have you taken any more pictures that might prove that so?
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The illuminated reticle of this is supposed to be Aimpoint bright but your pictures do not show that to be true.  Have you taken any more pictures that might prove that so?

It is not as bright as an Aimpoint or EOTech, but it is definitely daytime visible.  The best way to describe it is to say that on the highest setting, it is like an Aimpoint/EOTech on the medium setting.  

The illumination is like the Short Dot.  I have tried over and over to get a better picture but my camera skills suck.

Go to the link below and click on the "View Through it"  Then click on "Illuminated Reticle".  That is exactly what it looks like.

Link Posted: 12/12/2007 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#39]
How would you compare the brightness of the reticle to the S&B Short Dot?  Battery life?

Is mil pricing any different than LEO pricing?

What are your thoughts on the extended eye relief model?
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
How would you compare the brightness of the reticle to the S&B Short Dot?  Battery life?  The brightness of the reticle is pretty much the same as the Short Dot.  The battery life is hard to tell because the Swarovski has an automatic shut-off timer so it is impossible to kill the battery and when the batteries are low, the reticle will blink, which is an awsome feature.

Is mil pricing any different than LEO pricing?  It is actually called Government pricing, so it applies to anyone that has a government job.  They won't talk to you about the Government pricing until you fax them your ID.  If youa re interested n the exact price, send me an IM and I'll let you know what I paid for.  However, if you just want to call them, call (401-734-1800) and speak with someone in the Customer Service Department and ask about the Government pricing.

What are your thoughts on the extended eye relief model?  I have the regular eye relief version and it has plenty of eye relief.  See the way I have it mounted below in the picture, I almost want to move it a little more forward, especially in the prone position.  If I had the extended eye relief version with my A2 stock, I would need the SPR-E mount to move the scope more forward.  So basically what I am saying is that the extened eye relief version has way too much eye relief.  Plus with the extended eye relief version, you loose a little bit of field of view.

Link Posted: 12/12/2007 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
They go for $1, 900.00, but if you are LE the prices are significantly lower.  Swarovski wouldn'T even talk to me about LE pricing until they got a copy of my ID.

I really am glad that they offer substantial LEO and mil discounts... but it is kind of downer to read between the lines and see what they apparently think of the general public.

I'll pass. My rectal calluses aren't thick enough for these guys.

Link Posted: 12/12/2007 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really am glad that they offer substantial LEO and mil discounts... but it is kind of downer to read between the lines and see what they apparently think of the general public.

All you need is a friend in LE or Military and they can buy one for you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is not as bright as an Aimpoint or EOTech, but it is definitely daytime visible.  The best way to describe it is to say that on the highest setting, it is like an Aimpoint/EOTech on the medium setting.  

The illumination is like the Short Dot.  I have tried over and over to get a better picture but my camera skills suck.

Go to the link below and click on the "View Through it"  Then click on "Illuminated Reticle".  That is exactly what it looks like.

Not trying to be a jerk here by any means (it comes naturally) but the Short Dot is Aimpoint bright.  I have looked at their animated webpage long ago.  Let's just say that if you (or anyone) cannot photograph the reticle and show how bright it is in the daylight that I am skeptical of their brightness representation.  Again, if this came out sounding like an attack, I did not mean it that way.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#44]
I ordered one. They are on back order right now.
Pat
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 2:17:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not trying to be a jerk here by any means (it comes naturally) but the Short Dot is Aimpoint bright.  I have looked at their animated webpage long ago.  Let's just say that if you (or anyone) cannot photograph the reticle and show how bright it is in the daylight that I am skeptical of their brightness representation.  Again, if this came out sounding like an attack, I did not mean it that way.

Let me edit my last reply.  I understand what you are saying and I can't for the life of me take any reticle pictures with this scope or any other scope I have tried.  The illumination is definitely daytime visible  like the Short Dot that I have tried.  It is not overpowering like the Aimpoint or EOTech on the highest setting.

I would not write a review like this and indicate that he reticle was daytime visible if it wasn't.  I had to sell my soul to my wife to get this scope, so I would not insult anyone here and ruin my credibility, especialy when a scope costs this much money.

By the was, I wasn't offended by your post in any way, unfortunately, I am not good at taking pictures.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I called the importer about purchasing one of their scopes (I didn't identify myself as LEO/MIL), and they acted very much like I was the damn janitorial staff bothering them about refilling a towel dispenser...

Here is the crazy thing, though:  They told me to call back the next day, because they didn't have time to deal with a mere citizen (not their exact words, of course).  So, I called back the next day and they still kinda acted like dealing with me was beneath them.  Sorta sounded like they were disgusted with dealing with anything gun related...  At any rate, they sent me the scope free of charge.  I kid you not.  She said that they wanted them "out of their office".

This was around '97.  The scope currently retails for $1200 from SWFA.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Paulo turned me onto the Z6 line.  I understand why some would question the brightness.  It's a lot of scratch to put out, even for LE.  I liked them enough I have 2.  Customer service was fantastic, even prior to receiving proof of credentials as LE.  

I know they are way behind with the illuminated scopes.  I have one on backorder for my AR-10 that wont be in until Jan.  If it matters I have an Aimpoint ML 3 w/ 2MOA dot.  IMHO the Swar. Z6i 1x6x26 illumination is as good if not a tad brighter than MY Aimpoint brightest setting.  

CAUTION:  Mine are only a few months old.  While I have viewed in direct sunlight, it's not the same as August sun in the Northeast.  As far as battery life, too new to tell.  That said, unless they eat batteries, which it dosent appear they do, I'm not very concerned w/ that issue.  

I can say Paulo know his shit and was dead on w/ his review.  To the T.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I emailed them about LE/MIL pricing and one of the reps told me that they needed Letter head and what the optic was going to be  used for.

Since I'm not LE/MIL and since they wanted so much info. I didnt bother my buddy who's active MIL...I just bought a 2-12x50 Duplex(Under 1500.00)....The 1-6 is next on my list

Btw, what has everyone told them you where going to use the optic for?

Ant
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#49]
They only asked for a copy of my ID and badge.
Pat
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top