Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2011 2:17:55 PM EDT
I'm not going to bother with pics. God knows there have been thousands posted on the net.

First of all, the magazine body appears to be well constructed of heavy gauge aluminum alloy spot welded together. No complaints, good design

Spring system, I guess they did what they had to. It works. This is NOT a magazine to disassemble in the field! It is not hard to disassemble, it is a BITCH to get it back together.

Follower, If you try the more or less standard test of pushing down at the front to see if it sticks.............it DOES! I think they should have had Magpul design the follower.

Floorplate, IF you have ever dropped a loaded stock G.I. mag on a hard surface....you know what is going to happen with this mag. Floorplate is going to buckle and fly off dumping the spring and rounds out the bottom. Again, they should have went to Magpul for the floorplate design. Something like the Ranger L.

I sprayed the inside of the magazine and the followers (yes, plural) with Remington Rem-DriLube. It is a Teflon spray that evaporates and leaves a coating of dry Teflon. CProducts used to recommend it.

Overall a good design, BUT it could have been better.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Good observations!
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
OK... I thought this was going to be review of the product, operation, testing, ....reliability
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OK... I thought this was going to be review of the product, operation, testing, ....reliability

By all reports they function quite well. And contrary to some reports they do lock the bolt open when empty.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Remington Dry Lube is some great stuff. I sprayed my bolt carrier withit in 2004 in Iraq and it's still slicker than frog snot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Any news on the 100 coming around?  I'd to try at least one of each.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
These mags are WAY too expensive.  $130 for a 60rd mag? Let's see, how many P-mags can I get for $130?...  8 or so I believe. I may get just 1 for the novelty of it but I can't see these things becoming a standard item in many range bags.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
really a neat design and I want one of the 60rd version but for the $$ I will keep buying D&H /Pmags hope they drop in price
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
These mags are WAY too expensive.  $130 for a 60rd mag? Let's see, how many P-mags can I get for $130?...  8 or so I believe. I may get just 1 for the novelty of it but I can't see these things becoming a standard item in many range bags.

You could not be any more correct as advice to people without a good stock of USGI and PMAGS already.  However, I give enough credit to most folks to not make that mistake.  I never met a guy with a Beta-C and two Colt 20 rounders for his whole collection (given I bet there is one guy out there in his Mom's basement like that).

That being said I appreciate this review.  There are many who have enough mags to last- well let's just say you know enough when you get there.  After that it is fun to pony up for interesting things, toys, and such.

Even WAY overpriced it appears even you want one.  It seems your interest (and mine) would make the point they are not WAY too expensive.

Ultimately the sales will dictate the price, but I look forward to you adding your review here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the 60 rounders and want one. They seem like a good concept but to me it has its limitations. Honestly I think it would be a great magazine to have in my m4 and have my rig loaded out with standard 30 rounders. It sure beats using mag clamps for your rifle or  a redi-mag. In my AO the role of something like this would great for breaking contact in an ambush situation where in a moments notice you need 60 rounds of death ready to rock and roll. However I don't see the use of having 4 of these on my rig. Especially not at the price they are being sold for.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any news on the 100 coming around?  I'd to try at least one of each.

yes:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KqtBclA43U&feature=mh_lolz&list=HL1314647984[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KqtBclA43U&feature=mh_lolz&list=HL1314647984

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]
to start I have probably 75 30 round USGI mags, a mix of 20s and 30s. I would like to add a few 60 round surefire mags to the collection. Seems like they could be most useful in a 3 gun/Zombiepocalyps fantasy...
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
to start I have probably 75 30 round USGI mags, a mix of 20s and 30s. I would like to add a few 60 round surefire mags to the collection. Seems like they could be most useful in a 3 gun/Zombiepocalyps fantasy...

This is why I want one, for 3-Gun. However I'm sure it would serve nicely for culling zombies too
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Just got a glimpse of this Product Advisory today.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The $60 round mags are already available for $99.  They work great.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The $60 round mags are already available for $99.  They work great.

Where?

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just got a glimpse of this Product Advisory today.

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/righttobeararms8/Gun%20Pics/SurefireProdAdv.jpg

That struck me as funny...  to summarize what it says, "pushing on the edge will cause the follower to tilt, to avoid this follower tilt, don't push on the edge."

- AG
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I played with one last night. Ran great, the follower will stick if pushed down. I like the feed ramps built into the front of the magazine.

I'll probably end up buying some eventually, I do wish they were a bit cheaper though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#18]
"pushing on the edge will cause the follower to tilt, to avoid this follower tilt, don't push on the edge."

Just goes to show you, if you try to make something idiot proof someone will just invent a better idiot.

Still waiting for a reply on where you can get them for $99.  Even dealer discount pricing that I have seen is higher than that.  Oh, maybe if you buy 500 you get them for $99 each but I'd sure like to see them for $99 where the average person can buy one.  I love it when people post that you can get something so much cheaper but do not follow up, only to find out that most of us would never be able to buy the quantity needed to get that pricing.  In those cases, those cheap prices are about as realistic as the moon being made out of cheese.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Still waiting for a reply on where you can get them for $99.  Even dealer discount pricing that I have seen is higher than that.  Oh, maybe if you buy 500 you get them for $99 each but I'd sure like to see them for $99 where the average person can buy one.  I love it when people post that you can get something so much cheaper but do not follow up, only to find out that most of us would never be able to buy the quantity needed to get that pricing.  In those cases, those cheap prices are about as realistic as the moon being made out of cheese.

I'm on a cell phone so I can't cut&paste a link but Grabagun is showing their price  at $91.24 (they are currently out of stock). Just google surefire 60
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the link.  I wonder what the price will be when "in stock?"
There was a guy in Arizona years back who advertised in Gun Lists magazine that always had the best prices in the nation on firearms, yet every time I called him-and I called him dozens of time regarding different rifles he had listed-they were always "out of stock" on those guns, but with the guns he did have in stock, his prices were usually not as good as others and certainly not any better.  I think old Bob was a major influence in turning me into an old cynic.  If this guy keeps his price like that when he has them in stock I will have to pay him a visit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#21]
There was a guy on strumgeweghr the other night had six of them for $100 a piece plus $5 shipping.  That is still quite a bit over dealer.  Street price will not be $125 once this gets going.  I bet they will sell for $89 plus shipping in a couple of months.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bet they will sell for $89 plus shipping in a couple of months.

I hope you're right.  I wouldn't mind getting another.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top