Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 12:27:35 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has tried J&Ts reverse flash hider on a mid length upper? The hider supposedly covers 3" of barrel. It looks like there is enough room between muzzle and front sight but I dont have the upper (yet). I'd kind of like to have the extra weight and the SBR look is definitely cool! Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Has anyone even tried one of these reverse flash hiders?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a sabre midlength, and I put a reverse flash on it.  There is plenty of room, but my flashhider is too large in diameter to take a stock bayonet.  I thought I would like the look more than I do.  I will probably replace the reverse FH with a phantom so I can mount a bayonet in case of ZOMBIE ATTACK!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy CRAP, I hadn't even considered the bayo. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of this rifle w/ the reverse on it would ya?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry but I don't have any pictures of the set up.  Just so I am clear, the problem with the bayonet is that the hole in the bayonet cross guard thingy is sized to fit over an A2 birdcage flashhider, or a phantom flash hider, but with close enough tollerances so the bayonet doesn't flop around.  Another crucial distance for the bayonet is the distance between the bayonet lug and the flashhider, which should  about match the length of the bayonet handle.

On a 16" barrell with a carbine length gas system, the distance between the bayonet lug and the FH is too great, and the ring in the bayo cross guard circles the barrell, not the larger diameter flash hider, and it flops too much for most people.  Additionaly the overlap of the barrell over the bayonet shortens the available zombie sticking length of the blade.

There are two solutions, use a 14.5" barrell with a slightly longer FH like a phantom, or go to a midlength gas system with moves the bayonet lug closer to the FH.

If you use the 14.5, you have a short barrelled rifle unless the long FH is permantly attached, and as they say, all NFA rules apply.

I have a 14.5 " with a perm attached phantom, and I like the LOOKS of it better than my midlength, with looks front heavy to my eye.  The midlength is pretty darn accurate.

TO get to your original question, you could make a bayonet fit by dremmeling the hole big eneough to go over the reverse flash hider, or perhaps you could turn down the reverse flashider somehow, but then the walls would be pretty thin.

I don't know if any of this helps or not.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#5]
There are two solutions, use a 14.5" barrell with a slightly longer FH like a phantom, or go to a midlength gas system with moves the bayonet lug closer to the FH.

So you're saying that a mid length w/ reverse FH will work with the bayo?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
What they are trying to tell you is, with a mid-length gas system the bayo will mount without a reversed flash hider.  The reversed flash hiders are for 16" barrels with the CAR or short gas system.
R4B
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top