Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 6:29:32 PM EDT
I am watching "Final Report" on NGC and just saw a GAU-5P/653 in use by an Air Force FAC, footage was dated 2001, a while ago but the Retros are still at work!

RMiller
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Most have M4 barrels now but they still keep a few of the others in the armory. I am trying to get pics of GAU5 AA from ours. Sometimes wish my M4 was lighter weight. But I wouldnt give up the Aimpoint. Trained with guys in March who had a variety including slab side lowers, A1 uppers with M4 barrels, M16 upper and M4 barrel on A1 lowers. AF takes old stuff seldom used and makes them into tools. Army wears all theirs out.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:AF takes old stuff seldom used and makes them into tools. Army wears all theirs out.  

I was the Unit Property Custodian for an AFRES flying squadron for 15 years; we had 26 M16's in deep storage that had never been issued; never fired...That's M16, not M16A1, not M16A2...no forward assist, no chromed bore/barrel...only change was that at some point the 3 prong flash hiders had been swapped for the bird cage style...

This C-130 unit had turned in their M1 carbines for the M16's back in the mid '60's...The unit had never been activated, so us penguins had never had to draw our rifles (pistols were in constant use by aircrews)...During Desert Storm, our unit relieved another AFRES unit in the Gulf and were issued the weapons that were already in-place...So our M16's stayed home...

I used to have to clean and have them inspected once a year, then vacuum-seal them up again...I've been out since '98, so I don't know what happened to them since then...

...But I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the oldies are still held by Guard and Reserve units like mine...because Supply won't let you survey an item that is still serviceable...

...My $.02...  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Some Air Force M16 photos

Fairly recent vintage (photo that is) Kind of bastardized though, with the delta ring, fence, stock, etc

same kind of thing here

But now, it is out with the old and in with the new

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in charge of the weapons at my shop as well(AF EOD).
We had 10 GAU-5s that were in the armory, 65 M16s and 5 M14s all packed away that no one ever touched but me.
Wish I would have taken pictures of all of them back then(1990-94) but I was more interested in chasing shirts back then.

RMiller
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]
In case you are interested in the USAF Carbines, and have not seen it yet:
Retro Black Rifle USAF Carbine Guide

I have seen anything and everything in USAF inventory, from mint 601's to Carbines that were built off of so many different parts that it was almost impossible to figure out what is what.

One of my USAF Spec Ops counterparts has a "M16" which is basically a Mk 12 SPR, but the kicker is it is built on an original 601 Lower! The Lower and the Front Pivot Pin are the only original parts left, everything else on it has been replaced. Man does that Slab Side Lower stick out like a sore thumb!

Best of Luck,
"Capt Richardson"
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

One of my USAF Spec Ops counterparts has a "M16" which is basically a Mk 12 SPR, but the kicker is it is built on an original 601 Lower! The Lower and the Front Pivot Pin are the only original parts left, everything else on it has been replaced. Man does that Slab Side Lower stick out like a sore thumb!

I would LOVE to see a pic of that rifle.

Just for it's weirdness if nothing else.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I love the photo redfisher posted above of the slickside upper that seems to have a mix of finishes and scratches all over.  Thing looks like it's been beat to hell but it's [or was at some point] still going strong.

Quoted:

[snip]

I have seen anything and everything in USAF inventory, from mint 601's to Carbines that were built off of so many different parts that it was almost impossible to figure out what is what.

[snip]

Best of Luck,
"Capt Richardson"

That's the nice thing about retro carbine builds - if someone questions it, just say it's like a "USAF carbine."  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I love the photo redfisher posted above of the slickside upper that seems to have a mix of finishes and scratches all over.

IIRC, that's the original finish they had back then...some kind of coating [plating?] under the dark gray/black color-coat [phosphate?]...When I went through boot camp in '69, we still  had (and qualified with) the M14...but we were issued M16's in ITR...mostly older ones, with that distinctive goldy color where they were worn...somebody here must know what it really was...  

If I ever knew, I forgot long ago...  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I will see what I can do, but lets just say they are very serious about OPSEC and cameras in the compound are a not a welcome sight, which sucks because there is a ton of cool and rare stuff there to take pics of.

Best of Luck,
"Capt Richardson"
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will see what I can do, but lets just say they are very serious about OPSEC and cameras in the compound are a not a welcome sight, which sucks because there is a ton of cool and rare stuff there to take pics of.

Best of Luck,
"Capt Richardson"

Does the OPSEC cover their gear and weapons?  I can understand how it might, but I would also think it wouldn't.  Could they be persuaded to let you set up a white sheet or something equally nondescript to shoot them against?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top