Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/4/2006 1:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 3:50:38 PM EDT by mike_nds]
I posted this in one of the retro threads, but I thought you guys might like it also.

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/XM177E2.jpg

It is an 11.5" barrel turned down to .625 for a salvaged FSB I had laying around.
The flash hider is from Bushmaster
Genade ring turned on my lathe
Delta ring from Sherluk
An extra C7 upper I had
DPMS .22 conversion

The flash hider is pinned/welded on, and the locking lugs are welded up so it will only work with the .22 conversion unit. With the unit the OAL is over 16". It shoots great, around 1" at 50yrds.her
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:36:16 PM EDT
Very cool, Mike!

I recently FINALLY got the flash hider off my DPMS .22 M4 and replaced it with one of those fake slipover XM177 flash hiders/suppressors, so now mine looks a good deal like yours. I have a telestock on it at the moment but I hate it. My kid loves it, but as soon as he goes off to college, I'm swapping it for a solid stock.

1" at 50 with a non-.22 barrel is damn good. My DPMS will do 3/4" or better, but best I've gotten out of a M261 in a 1:12 at 50 yards is 1 1/4" average, and I consider that damn good. What kind of ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:45:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 1:48:31 PM EDT by mike_nds]
That was with cheapo Remington HP from Wally world. I have another upper with a M261 kit, and it's not as accurate. The DPMS one has a rifled chamber insert, hence the better groups.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:13:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:25:31 PM EDT
Looks like I'm going to have to try some of those cheap Remington Golden Bullets. I have a very low opinion of Remington rimfire ammo in general, but I've heard good things about their accuracy vs cost now from quite a number of people. And I just noticed this morning that my WW is carrying them.

If they shoot anywhere NEAR as well as Dynapoints, I'd be very happy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:58:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 3:59:05 PM EDT by QUIB]
Nice!

My sons CAR with M261 adapter.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:12:57 PM EDT
Very cool rifles guys!
I'm a huge fan of .22 training rifles, so this just falls right in step with that addiction.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:47:11 PM EDT
Cool rig!

Have a question about OAL?

with an 11.5" and a 4.5" moderator, with thread overlap, doesn't it come out under 16"?
or is the grenade ring a threaded/pinned unit as well?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:34:50 AM EDT
The grenade ring is sandwiched between the barrel and the flash hider. The flash hider is P/W in place.

Because the locking lugs are welded up, the original 5.56 bolt can't be used at all.

The new breech face is on the .22 bolt, which is farther to the rear, which adds to the OAL.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:25:46 PM EDT
Aha!
That makes sense...

Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:11:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Snake45:
Looks like I'm going to have to try some of those cheap Remington Golden Bullets. I have a very low opinion of Remington rimfire ammo in general, ...

Same here. The only truly bad ammo I've ever had--with squibs that didn't get bullets out of a 4" revolver--was Rem Thunderbolts. Way back around '93 when I got my first .22 rifle I tried Rem GBs in the 50-round boxes and they were by far the least accurate ammo in that rifle. Didn't buy any more Rem until recently when I tried some of the 550-pack GBs from WM. Surprisingly they shot pretty well. About on par with the Federal 550-pack or maybe a little better. Dirty though, with soot on the outside of the cases. Deeper HP than the Fed, so better for plinking cans full of water. When the box ran out I went back to the old standby of Federal, but I might have to pick up another box.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:35:59 AM EDT
The only problems I have with them is the occasional dud due to a lack of priming compound in the rim. A second hit on another spot usually fires them.

I had an interesting conversation with a guy that works at Federal Cartridge several years ago. He said the bulk ammo you buy from chain stores is made at the end of a production run, so it isn't as consistant in quality.

I use the golden bullets because they are cheap and meet my accuracy requirements (which are fairly high).
Top Top