Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 1:34:41 PM EDT
Hello & thanks in advance for the help.

Am building a retro A1 rifle from a parts kit. The original color is that OD Parkerized-ish Colt green anodizing, however, I'm planning to CeraCote it grey.

On line I've looked at probably thousands of M16A1 pics, & the ejection port door color range from light  grey, Parkerized green, dark grey and the same color as the dark grey anodizing. I'm sure some of the pics are black & white, which distort the color. And I'm sure some are retro builds, to add more confusion with accuracy.

My question: which would be most accurate for a 1969 M16A1?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 1:50:56 PM EDT by Engineer5]
If your going to CerraCoate your upper grey why wouldn't you just do the port door to match or find one that's close to the CerraCoate grey?  That's what I would do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:12:57 PM EDT
There really is no right or wrong.  Port doors (parkerizing) vary in shade and seldom ever match exactly the aluminum (anodizing).

Any gray would look correct IMO.  Just get a nice used A1 port door and it will look correct.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:45:38 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hal143:
There really is no right or wrong.  Port doors (parkerizing) vary in shade and seldom ever match exactly the aluminum (anodizing).

Any gray would look correct IMO.  Just get a nice used A1 port door and it will look correct.
View Quote

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ This!  I have some that match perfectly, and some that don't.  I prefer the BDPU ones to NOT match so they show different wear.  I have a couple of builds that are almost new looking and I like them closer in color and very little wear.  I have been called OCD though!  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:52:50 PM EDT
All of mine are lighter than the anodizing on the uppers and also lighter than the parkerizing on the small steel parts.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:53:07 PM EDT
I suspect I, too, have some OCD-trait and I'd like the build to be as historically accurate as possible--heck, I watched "Platoon" & "Apocalypse Now" this weekend to get an idea--but obviously these are movie props from the 1980s, and not an actual 1969 rifle.

I know a guy who re-Parkerizes parts--maybe I should check with him.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:29:17 PM EDT
If you want to be historically  correct, just grab any port door that is correct for an M16A1 and use it.  There was never any attempt to color "match" any part on these rifles.  I handled hundreds and hundreds of these over the course of a military career (back when we carried the A1) and all the various pieces usually do not match.  That also goes for civilian Colt SP1 rifles.  That also goes for the M16A2.
Top Top