Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/22/2003 1:00:55 PM EDT
What is the best reticle color for the compact ACOGs? I've been looking around and have found several of the TA40-2 for well under $700 with the amber reticle but only one or two places with the red. For some reason, the reds are costing $800. WTF?

Does this mean that the red is superior and therefore, hard to get or does it mean no body bothers stocking the red because no body wants it?

I guess the basic question is, which is going to provide the best contrast over a wide variety of lighting conditions? A second question would be, is one worth $150 more than the other? Final question is, should I just wait until the buying hysteria dies down and I can get them for more reasonable prices?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 1:13:58 PM EDT
Those prices sound high. I have the 2x20 in amber and it works great. I think I paid $625 for it and another $60 for the TA60 mount. The reticles in the compacts with BAC is bright no matter the color.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 1:19:31 PM EDT
I agree that the prices are high. I was looking at them about 3 months ago and found them for $599 to $650. Imagine my shock today when the cheapest was $640! Even one of the very revered sponsors here has them for $799! What rifle do you have yours mounted on? I am thinking about this on a lightweight FAL in .308. There isn't another optic on the market that weighs this little but I am concerned about eye relief.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 1:27:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 1:53:34 PM EDT
Red, for the reasons Troy outlined.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 1:54:16 PM EDT
I'd agree with Troy - I'd go with Red if you can. However paying an extra $100-$150 for the red? Yeah its more 'rare' but I'd only pay an extra $50 or so for it. I got a great deal on the Amber version and went with that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 2:53:31 PM EDT
Me with the mini ACOG at a local match. [img]http://www.cavalryarms.com/20030712-2Gun/14.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:25:12 PM EDT
After seeing FRO's pictures in the famous tacked thread on top of this forum, I knew I needed to get a R4 compact. I'm not really fond of dots and triangles in magnified scopes. I waited awhile on the Equipment Exchange and finally got a nice TA50 (3x) for $650, in new condition with all the original pieces and papers. It will go on my lightweight A2 project. Troy brought up good info (as usual!) about contrasting backgrounds, which is why I don't like my TA01-NSN. Other people love them, especially in areas far from the city lights (mountains, plains, deserts). But for my use, amber doesn't cut it. When/if I come across a TA31 donut, I'll snatch it up and sell the nsn. You can't go wrong with the red glow of BAC.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:19:15 AM EDT
Thanks for the comments everyone. You've all reinforced my perceptions of red and amber. I still don't know why I can only find decent prices on the amber ones. I am guessing it has something to do with that dreaded supply and demand thingy my econ professors were always yapping about. Looks like I'll be waiting a bit for that dynamic to change.
Top Top