Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/23/2002 11:43:03 AM EDT
There is a lot of talk about which AR's are the best. Since I look at my guns as an investment, I want to buy the best I can and have it hold it's value. Use the term "investment" any way you like. The dealers tell me the Colt's hold their value the best. Maybe they are telling me that to get the couple extra bucks out of me. Do the other guns hold their value like Colt? I'd rather spend a couple extra bucks now and have it keep it's value rather than have something less later. If the guns were cheaper, I probably wouldn't be as concerned.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:21:47 PM EDT
I prefer and buy ArmaLite. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:24:30 PM EDT
if it's all about "investment", then why get an AR15? Go get one of those 1 of 1000 lever actions with the fancy scroll work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:37:48 PM EDT
Almost any quality Firearm will hold its value if properly maintained. Unlike Cars, they do not decrease much with the first owner or even first firing. But, I too, buy guys as a way of spending money on a hobbie in hopes that I can someday get my moneys worth. A good way to try to get a return investment on your AR's is: 1. Look for private sellers selling excellent condition rifles. Often guys need money so they sell their unused rifles, and if they need money fast they may sell for less than full price. 2. Buy Preban. They are a little more expensive, but it takes money to make money. As much as the AR manufacturers make new new rifles, NO ONE is making new pre ban guns. There will always be people who want them. Just make sure you get top dollar, and the more the AR market gets filled with Post ban Guns the more the preban will be worth. The only way you will lose money on these is if the Ban is repeal, but lets face it, gun laws arent headeed that direction. And if it does happen, I for one would be willing to loose a few bucks on a few guns because of it! 3. Since gun laws will, unfortunately, just continue to crack down there may come a time when they can no longer produce AR's. IF they grandfather all the rifles already in circulation than any you own will be worth big bucks, although if that happens I wouldn't recommend selling!! But this is the reason there was a rush on Bushmasters after the DC "sniper" shootings. Everyone thought Bushie would be shut down and their rifles become rare and valuable with time. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:42:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By s0ulzer0: if it's all about "investment", then why get an AR15? Go get one of those 1 of 1000 lever actions with the fancy scroll work.
View Quote
or maybe some of those fancy over/under shotguns. i'm not looking to retire off of my guns. i just want to know that i didn't buy somehting that will not be worth as much as if i bought something else. the pre-ban idea is an excellent one. probably one of the better "investments". i use the term loosely. my rolex is an investment to me only because it's worth more now used than what i paid for it 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 1:28:10 PM EDT
I'm not trying to be an @$$ GDITheman, I just love AR15s, they're for shooting. It would be such a waste for it to sit in a safe for dreams of the "big payoff" than the joy of shooting it. Any of the big names will hold value, Colt fetches a few dollars more because it's [b]name[/b] is well known, not because it's any better than the others. Whatever you get - enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:25:19 PM EDT
investment means different things to different people. forget about investment. let's call it holding it's value. i just want something that holds it's value. the gun won't sit in the safe. it'll be used as often as possible. when i die i want my child to be happy i left him a ?????? and not some crappy ?????. i think the colt may hold it's value better. and preban may be an investment. when spending a couple bucks on a new rifle i'll spend a couple more to get a little more out of it later.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:39:04 PM EDT
GDITheman, Since I seem to burn AR-15's to the ground, and change out parts as almost often as my underwear, re-sale value has never been a concern. If I was going to buy one for resale, I would look for brand and type that had some rarity, such as a Olym with a SUM barrel, Or a Armalite that came from the factory with a special barrel(Not sure if the Armalite AR-15 was ever offered with a hammer forged barrel). The little extras, coupled with a great brand name will get you a little more money if you do ever have to sell the rifle. With the decision of the ban coming up in 2004, the pre-ban may be a thing of the past, and lose a lot of value overnight. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:55:27 PM EDT
Even if the ban sunsets (it won't) Colts will hold their value better just because there are more Colt collectors than other brand collectors. Colt heritage automatically brings more money. Do what I did...buy two, a low mileage or NIB Colt preban and leave it in the safe, and a postban Bushy and shoot the barrel out of it. Or if you are in a FA friendly state go Class III, guarenteed no more of them, ban or no ban.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 9:22:22 PM EDT
Resale? Why would you ever sell a gun?
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 4:11:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BlammO: Resale? Why would you ever sell a gun?
View Quote
Exactly. I'm not a dealer ,or a "trader". After many years of losing money on gun deals, I saw the light. Now I buy what I intend to keep,and pass on to my kids. Barring confiscation,they will have all they will ever "need" . [8D]
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 4:35:53 AM EDT
i haven't sold a gun in over 10 years. i also buy to keep, but i want to know if i did have to sell it, i would get top dollar over something else. i also want something of "value" to pass on to my child. again, use "value" any way you like. i'm sort of a "dual" resident in two states. one state is class 3 friendly and i have been looking hard at that side of things. it is definitely being considered, but i own a boat. we all know a boat is a big hole in the water you throw money into. forget about resale value and boats. especially in this economy.
Top Top