Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2002 11:15:08 PM EDT
I just got done reading the ammo-oricle from top to bottom.....took several hours. I was fasinated by all of the phyiscs involved. Bullet weight and velocity and such. Were can I read deeper into this subject? I'm looking for both online and book sources.

JIM

PS Thanks to the Moderators for the GREAT source for ammo related questions!
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Hatcher's Notebook
Auth: Julian S. Hatcher

Handbook for shooters and reloaders
Auth: P. O. Ackley
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I see that you are in Virginia; however, are you in any military organization/federal agency/civilian? Depending on your status, you would be eligible for different sources or not.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://pub57.ezboard.com/bammolabforum[/url]
Hard to top P.O.Ackley.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
ArmyOrdGuy
I am navy. Is there any Navy sources you know of? I live in the Virginia Beach area.

JIM
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
LTCetme: You are in a perfect position to associate with the U.S.Navy Atl Fleet Shooting Team (www.usnst.org) which holds matches every May at Dam Neck. This gets you in with the practical end of shooting. When you say Ballistics, you should know that there are three siblings in this family (Interior, Exterior,and Terminal).The first deals with the primer to the muzzle, the second from muzzle to impact, and the last with impact results. People have spent their entire lives with only one or a bit of a second. Myself, I have 80% interior and 20% exterior (almost no terminal studies other than anecdotal from others in related fields). The USN Shooting Team has a listing of related sites on their web site. As a Service member, you might contact U.S.Army, Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville, AL and ask for their correspondance course catalog with a specific request for ballistic subjects.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the website for the Atlantic shooting team? It certantly deserves a good hard look. Saddly I predict that by the time those matches start in May I will be floating around on a ship off the coast of Iraq or Saudi Arabia. I Guess It will have to wait. I have had an intrest in compeditive shooting recently; just haven't been able to find any matches localy. I think it would be an outstanding oportunity to meet other shooters and perhaps learn some things.

JIM
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Website listed above: www.usnst.org (US Navy Shooting Team). Look it up, contact them, express an interest in shooting, and they will be thrilled to hear from you. ALL military shooting teams are always on the lookout for eager shooters. Interest and the willingness to show up and try are the main requirements. Being able to shoot is also good; however, that is something that can be learned with practice. I've tossed prospective new shooters that could shoot very well but had a severe attitude problem of "I'm special. Treat me better than the others or I'll pout". Consider the Atlantic Fleet matches in May. You might still be here. If you sign up and get shipped out, they will understand better than anyone. I'm looking up some reading material for you. When I find what I'm looking for, I'll E-mail it to you rather than boring the rest of the world with my posts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Just shot the Local director an e-mail. I'll see what he says. Looking forward to the reply.

JIM
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I said that I'd E-mail you but can't seem to get through. An excellent book that should keep you reading for a long time is "Understanding Firearm Ballistics" by Robert A Rinker (ISBN: 0-9645598-4-6 ; published by Mulberry Huse Publishing, Inc. P.O.Box2180, Apache Junction, AZ 85217 Toll Free 888-738-1567). 3rd Printing 1999/427 pages. Some typos (a subject like this is hard to find a competent proofreader) but overall an excellent read and at a fairly advanced level without going overboard on the math.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#11]
[url]www.firearmstactical.com[/url]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top