Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2004 2:03:59 PM EST
I recently built my version of my ideal rifle and have definitely gotten bitten by the black rifle bug.
Well I have started building uppers for friends and modifying them and I marred a barrel nut trying to take a Bushy 16" CAR barrel off an A3. Can I just buy another barrel nut and replace it simply? or is it a big ordeal? Can I get some recommendations from the Pros? Also any tips on getting stuck barrels off of uppers. I don't think anyone moly greased the barrel extension before they put it on.

Thanks to all...... I hope to have some pictures. As a lurker for a few months I really respect the knowledge of this forum.

g
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:02:00 PM EST
I had an Armalite upper that took me sitting on the workbench, while a very large freind of mine used every bit of strength he could muster on the wrench...and it STILL took me pulling on the wrench with my free hand to break it loose.

Squirt the barrel nut really well with liquid wrench or Kroil, and let it sit for 1/2 an hour before you try it....and you might need extra hands to push/pull on the wrench, and swear really loud lol.

One question, though...if all you did was to just put a few cosmetic boo boos on the barrel nut, why go to all the trouble to replace it? It's not gonna show once you get the delta ring and handguards back on.

You can certainly replace the barrel nut once you break it loose, but if that barrel has a brake, and it's on there permanently, a la post ban style, getting it off so you can slide the old nut off could be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:21:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/13/2004 3:22:07 PM EST by sterling18]
Heck no, don't try to remove the barrel nut. Scuff up the barrel nut all you want, once the delta ring slides on no one will notice.

For you to remove or install the barrel nut, you need to remove the index pin - Don't do it or your rifle will never be centered.

Or you need to remove the front sight post. To do that you need to drive out the taper pins. Big pain in the @ss because you need to put it back to when the gas tube will match up with the hole in your barrel for the gas tube.

If you have an barrel with no front site post, you still will have to remove the gas block.

So, sorry to say, don't remove the barrel nut.

My suggestion, mount the upper on a vice, using either the upper mounting block from DPMS or use one of the upper clamps from Bushmaster .

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:34:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/13/2004 3:35:35 PM EST by Fenian]
After reading your post again, I have a couple of questions...did you ever actually break the barrel nut loose, or did you fubar it a little trying to break it loose. If you did break it loose, did the barrel slide out of the upper receiver, or is it stuck really bad so that you can't remove it?

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:46:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By sterling18:
Heck no, don't try to remove the barrel nut. Scuff up the barrel nut all you want, once the delta ring slides on no one will notice.

For you to remove or install the barrel nut, you need to remove the index pin - Don't do it or your rifle will never be centered.

Good luck.

What the hell are you talking about, I have never had to pull an index pin, or for that fact an reciever extension! it take a few seconds to pop off a front sight! Barrel changes are simple dont let people make it sound hard. I think you could maybe teach a monkey to replace a barrel.
If you put the upper in a deep freezer for a day the barrel nut will pop pretty much right off since the aluminum shrinks more than the steel. This also works putting a 1 peice tube on heat the tube up a little with a torch and you can index it anywhere you want. Dont replace the nut.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:57:56 PM EST
Sterling18:

Get your facts straight before confusing the hell out of someone that already doesn't know how to perform a maintenance operation.

There is absolutely no need to remove the barrel index pin to change a barrel nut.

Barrel nuts can be readily replaced once the hider/brake, and front sight base have been removed from the barrel.

There is a huge difference between the barrel extension and the barrel nut. The man asked about the later.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:39:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/13/2004 5:47:44 PM EST by sterling18]

Originally Posted By sterling18:

Or you need to remove the front sight post. To do that you need to drive out the taper pins. Big pain in the @ss because you need to put it back to when the gas tube will match up with the hole in your barrel for the gas tube.

If you have an barrel with no front site post, you still will have to remove the gas block.

So, sorry to say, don't remove the barrel nut.

My suggestion, mount the upper on a vice, using either the upper mounting block from DPMS www.dpmsinc.com/products/The-Flipper.jpg or use one of the upper clamps from Bushmaster www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/Images/om-003-withupper.jpg.

Good luck.

Guys, before you jump all over me again. I just tried to suggest that there are only two way the barrel nut is going to come out physically. Maybe I didn't word it correctly. The wrong way, i.e. removing the barrel ext and index pin to get to the barrel nut, or the right way, by removing the front sight post/break/FH. My concern was that he was going to remove it from the extention end of the barrel. Also was a warning that it's a pain in the butt, (My experence anyway) to put on the front site post and to have it stright with the gas port.

MY suggestion was not to remove the barrel nut because it's a bit scuffed.

Next time I'll keep my suggestion to myself and just hang out in the team members area .
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:30:30 AM EST
I've never had a problem with aligning my FSB, but then i use GI type taper pins which self align. Plus maybe i'm not remembering something correctly but i think that the barrel nut has to come off to replace the Delta ring. If you can still see your barrel nut you either 1) have your handquards off 2) forgot to install your delta ring or 3) your using a FF handguard with its own barrel nut.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:22:53 AM EST
Depending on how FUBAR your barrel nut is, it can have various impacts on reassembly. If you have my luck, the tooth or teeth of the barrel nut you may have chewed up would be the one the aligns with the gas port on the receiver when the nut is torqued and you won't be able to thread the gas tube through. Second, if it is bad enough and you have the barrel nut teeth looking like a saw blade, with teeth going left and right, it can hinder proper handguard installation. I never saw a barrel nut that FUBAR, but it is possible, I guess. If neither of these problems exist, it is probably a good idea to leave the barrel nut on.

To replace the barrel nut, you SHOULD first remove the flash hider, muzzle brake, etc. Then remove the front sight base (FSB) by removing the taper pins and sliding the FSB off the barrel. Then the barrel nut simply slides off the barrel.

If the barrel is tightly held in the receiver, spray the area with some type of penetrating oil (Kroil, Liquid Wrench, WD 40, etc.) and let it soak a little while. Then, using a rubber mallet, gently tap the receiver, near the gas port, off of the barrel. I've had many tight barrels and this method has yet to fail to remove a barrel from a receiver.

Plus maybe i'm not remembering something correctly but i think that the barrel nut has to come off to replace the Delta ring.

You DO NOT need to remove the barrel nut to remove the delta assembly, but you do need to remove the barrel from the receiver to remove the delta assembly. Then the delta ring and spring can be removed by removing the snap ring off of the barrel nut.

UNLESS THIS IS YOUR ONLY OPTION, I would recommend AGAINST removing the barrel extension to replace your barrel nut. Improperly indexed barrel extensions will give you improper gas system function due to the barrel gas port and the FSB gas port not lining up. It is possible and likely that you would end up with a properly lined up barrel extension if you properly install and torgue it up, but it requires a special socket to install/remove the extension. This socket runs about $60.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:01:35 PM EST
Thanks for all the input. I will try the (Kroil, Liquid Wrench, WD 40, etc.) method to get the barrel off. I only fubared about 2 teeth on the barrel nut so no biggie I guess. My type A personality coming through I needed it to be perfect and was pissed that I was wrenching on the thing and couldn't move it. Freezing the upper work?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

g
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:32:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By kells81:
Barrel changes are simple dont let people make it sound hard.

QUOTED FOR AGREEMENT!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:25:24 PM EST

Plus maybe i'm not remembering something correctly but i think that the barrel nut has to come off to replace the Delta ring.

You DO NOT need to remove the barrel nut to remove the delta assembly, but you do need to remove the barrel from the receiver to remove the delta assembly.

DOHH i misspoke.. i didn't mean to remove the nut i meant remove...or never mind, its been a long week today.
Top Top