Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2003 3:17:54 PM EDT
OK.  This might be a fairly easy question, but I don't  want to start applying real pressure til I'm sure about this.

I have an SP1 which I had a collapsable stock put on.  I wish to return it to original with an A1 stock.  But,  I have never seen or done a stock removal or installation.

I applied a bit of torque with my hands on the reciever and buttstock to remove the stock and felt zero give.  before I start playing gorilla, is there some trick to this?

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
.... is there some trick to this?

Thanks

View Quote

Just knowing what you're doing.

Near where the receiver extension (commonly called buffer tube) meets the lower receiver you'll see a spanner type ring (ring with a couple of holes in it).  This is threaded and works as a locking nut.  You should use an appropriately sized spanner wrench and loosen this ring.  As the ring is loosened there is a tear dropped shaped plate that abutts the receiver.  This plate holds the rear take down pin and detent in.  Watch for it as you back off the ring.  Once the ring is backed off pull that tear dropped plate away from the receiver (catching the spring and detent) and then unscrew the receiver extension (buffer tube).  Watch for the buffer stop pin and it's spring in the receiver.  It is held in place by the receiver extension.

You will need a new receiver extension for the A1/A2 stock (A2 uses a spacer and longer butt screw).  This installs pretty much the same way only backwards from the previously described disassembly only without the tear drop plate thingy.  Thread the extension into the receiver and when you're close enough insert the rear take down pin detent and spring in the recess  (make sure the take down pin is in place).  When the front end gets close to the hole that holds the buffer stop pin, put that spring and pin in the hole, press it down with your thumb and scew the extension up until it stops.  A good hand tight twist is all you need.  Slip new A1 stock on and screw in place with appropriate butt stock screw.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I basically don't have anything that will loosen the locking ring, which BTW only has a single hole in it?  Seems to have two marks where someone else (the installer perhaps) put something on it to torque it.  Dunno.  I got nothing that will work.

Guess I gotta pay the piper at the gunsmith again (sigh).  Or buy the tool.   Hmmm.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Spanner wrench might be 2 bucks.

IM me with your address and I'll send you mine if you'll send it back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Cheaper Than Dirt sells that wrench or a complete AR wrench kit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell, for $2 I'll buy one.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
$4.95 + S&H.  I suffer from living in the past when a dollar was still worth fifty cents syndrom.

[url]www.cheaperthandirt.com[/url]AR-15 Carbine and .45 Tool.

Part No.  AAR-017
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#7]
That same tool is built into the DPSM armorer's wrench...if you think you'll be installing/uninstalling barrels, float tubes, etc, you're gonna need one of them.  You could put that $5 towards the armorer's wrench...which is considerably more expensive, but useful for a variety of purposes.  The old "pay me now, or pay me later" syndrome that AR-15 owners know all too well [:D]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, my local dealer loosened the nut for me so I was able to change the buttstock.  I'll be posting some photos of the original version SP1 in a bit.  Thanks for t he help guys.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top