Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/1/2011 5:12:10 PM EDT
Newbie question: Is it possible to change bolt carrier group without too much of a problem? In other words, can I purchase a bolt carrier group (complete) and swap it out with my current bolt carrier group? And what type or kind of BCG be the best to get? Thanks for bearing with me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:16:52 PM EDT
99% of the time you can swap it without a hitch. However if you have a Colt lower that is blocked you won't be able to run a full auto carrier in it. Any of the reputable manufacturers will do starting at $120.00 and up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:17:58 PM EDT
Swap away. Some will tell you to check the headspace of the new BCG, but it shouldn't be an issue.

BCM is probably about the best bang for the buck
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:50:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CPD363:
99% of the time you can swap it without a hitch. However if you have a Colt lower that is blocked you won't be able to run a full auto carrier in it. Any of the reputable manufacturers will do starting at $120.00 and up.

Thanks for the info. I have a Double Star lower receiver and I was looking at getting a BCM bolt carrier group. That should be a good combo?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:19:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ranger59:

Thanks for the info. I have a Double Star lower receiver and I was looking at getting a BCM bolt carrier group. That should be a good combo?

sure
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:31:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ranger59:

Should be, but it is always best to test headspace.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:02:18 AM EDT
Yes, just swap and shoot. I picked up GI carriers for 1 bill at the last Indy 1500. No sweat in swapping those.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:09:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:54:28 AM EDT
An A.R.M.S. mount on a Larue rifle? It's a miracle that it hasn't burst into flames...
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:05:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2011 5:08:09 AM EDT by Doernuth]

By blocked you mean that bulkhead between the trigger pocket and the shelf correct? I have a colt lower and was comparing it to some of the others and noticed that bulkhead...

Also doesnt adding a full auto bolt carrier make it an automatic weapon under BATFE guidelins and therefore illegal without a stamp???

Sorry if this is a hijack but it came up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:19:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Doernuth:

By blocked you mean that bulkhead between the trigger pocket and the shelf correct? I have a colt lower and was comparing it to some of the others and noticed that bulkhead...

Also doesnt adding a full auto bolt carrier make it an automatic weapon under BATFE guidelins and therefore illegal without a stamp???

Sorry if this is a hijack but it came up.

No, not by itself. See here ATF letter

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:21:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By helotaxi:
An A.R.M.S. mount on a Larue rifle? It's a miracle that it hasn't burst into flames...

Old pic my friend. Replaced with a proper LaRue mount. Trying to decide how best to dispose of the other.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:14:29 AM EDT
Normally as a rule if your replacing your old BCG with a new one you should have no problems unless your barrel is very worn but replacing it with a used unit then you better check headspace... Again I like the Spikes BCG but its my .02 cents.
Top Top