Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 4:44:51 PM EDT
So, I'm not sure if this is in the right place so please move if it is not.

I recently purchased a 1000rnd case of Wolf Gold. My largest single quantity purchase ever. I never could afford to spend $300+ at once on ammo. But given the current political state and my recent introduction to monthly carbine matches I've starting spending some extra time at work as well as picking up some side jobs here and there to start focusing on building a stash. I also started reloading so I've been trying to stock up on components as well.

Anyhow, I would like to pack 840 rounds in a .50cal can on strippers and in 4 pocket bandos as sort of a SHTF stash. I've been doing some searching and everything I see puts repack kits at about 8 bucks a piece. That makes it almost 60 bucks to pack an ammo can. I just cant justify that to myself. $60 bucks could buy another 200 rounds at the stage I'm at building my supply seems more important than how I store it.

So, is there a better way? How are y'all doing it? Do you buy strippers in bulk and buy the cardboards, bandos, and spoons separate? Unless I can find a better way I am just going to buy strippers and pack them on strippers in the cans which I know is perfectly acceptable. I would just rather have easy to dispense ammo if things ever got bad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Store them in mags, packed in ammo cans.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep an eye out for sales on Fed American Eagle 5.56 on stripper clips - comes packed 30rds on 3 clips in cardboard sleeves 90 rounds to a box, suitable for repacking 4-pocket bandoleers; I've gotten it for almost the same price as Wolf Gold on occasions.

ETA but if you can afford to keep it stored in mags, that's the best way.  It's never more ready to use than already loaded into magazines.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
There are uses for bandoliers, whether everyone here agrees about it or not.  The entire idea of issuing Soldiers ammunition in bandoliers is to avoid them having to carry a large load of magazines, which are more expensive and bulkier than bandoliers full of rounds.

OP, if you want to pack your loose ammo in bandoliers, Old Sarge can help you out.  Repack kits can be a crap shoot, but Old Sarge has always been reliable and good to deal with.

On the other hand, unless you're going full tilt Rambo, it may be easier and more practical to just pack all the rounds on stripper clips, instead of adding in the cloth bandoliers and cardboard sleeves.  Then sit down and practice loading magazines with stripper clips; it's not as trivial a task as it seems, until you get the hang of it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top