Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 1:11:23 PM EDT
Is there any problem with dremeling off the top of the sear block on preban Colts?  The part that interfers with non-Colt AR15 Bolt Carriers. Although I haven't tried it, mine looks too wide to run an normal AR15 bolt carrier versus the Colt "no butt end" variety.

I am NOT planning to run an M16 bolt carrier in the weapon.

Maybe I should ask if the AR15 bolt carriers are better.  I have seen new ones that cover more of the firing pin than the old ones; but are not completely covering the firepin like an M16 BC.  I have heard that many screw ups are due to the completey exposed firing pin in Colt Sporter BC's.

thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Go ahead and cut that sucker off.  Then you can use any bolt carrier use choose to.  There are no legal issues about removing any or all of it, and if you work carefully there shouldn't be any great mechanical issues either.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is there any problem with dremeling off the top of the sear block on preban Colts?  The part that interfers with non-Colt AR15 Bolt Carriers. Although I haven't tried it, mine looks too wide to run an normal AR15 bolt carrier versus the Colt "no butt end" variety.

I am NOT planning to run an M16 bolt carrier in the weapon.

Maybe I should ask if the AR15 bolt carriers are better.  I have seen new ones that cover more of the firing pin than the old ones; but are not completely covering the firepin like an M16 BC.  I have heard that many screw ups are due to the completey exposed firing pin in Colt Sporter BC's.

thanks

There is no need to remove any of the sear block in your Colt in order to use a standard bolt carrier, it will work just fine. I know as I have one in my blocked Hbar.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to own a pre-ban Colt with a sear-blocked lower that I bought from a member of this board. He'd used a dremel to cut off the part of the block that protruded up out of the lower and it looked damned good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking of striping the reciever and using the drill press to take out the block.
Has anyone done it ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Kept this from the last time this subject came up:

Posted by AJ, 1/10/2001
Before you drop $200 to have somebody cut on and refinish your $800+ receiver to remove the sear block consider this:
As an engineer and perfectionist I like to keep my stuff looking factory. I removed the block on both my ARs because I could and they look exactly like they did before except the block is gone. Here is how to do it.
1. Place the receiver in a padded vise
2. Drill a vertical hole in the block(correct size for a #8 machine screw with hex head) 3/8" to 1/2" deep and centered at the intersection of the "L" in COLT (centered over the block pin).
3. Thread the hole with a bottom tap.
4. Fill the hole to the top with Marvel Mystery Oil and start the screw.
5. Slowly tighten the screw and you will notice the pin begin to protrude out of the receiver.
6. When the pin is about 5/16" protruding from the receiver the block should wiggle fore and aft.
7. Grab the block with a pair of vice grips and gently wiggle it while pulling vertically.
8. Once the block is out the roll pin may still be in the receiver. Repeat step 7 if so.
9. Knock the block pin back in flush with the receiver side.
DONE..isn't hydraulics just great!
Use a carbide tip drill, the block metal is hardened.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Freakin' genious!!!  

Great Idea!

-JMS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top