Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 9:02:48 PM EDT
I recently purchased a SEBR here and I'm thinking that I want to put a flip up sight on the TDI rail to match a Troy BUIS that I have, but I need to take the front sight off first.  How do I do that?  

Here is a pic if that helps any.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

scroll down and it will show you.

remember to oil the barrel to avoid scratching the finish when you pull the front sight base off if that is important to you.

also, you are gonna need a gas block before you do any of this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

scroll down and it will show you.

remember to oil the barrel to avoid scratching the finish when you pull the front sight base off if that is important to you.

also, you are gonna need a gas block before you do any of this.

That is a great thread, very helpful.  Thank you.

One thing that I had not considered is that the gas tube goes into the front sight.  Where can I purchase something like this?

I would prefer not to destroy the original sight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get one from LaRue or PRI...I'm sure there are others.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This is what I am looking for?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would do it.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would do it.  

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I recently purchased a SEBR here and I'm thinking that I want to put a flip up sight on the TDI rail to match a Troy BUIS that I have, but I need to take the front sight off first.

Ok, since no one has asked the question, I will. Why do you want to put a flip-up front sight on your AR? Please understand that I'm not saying that you're wrong for wanting to do so. I ask the question if we know why you want to do something, we can offer better advice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:49:04 AM EDT
[#8]
if im not mistaken the sebr has a permanently attatched izzy. you will need to remove it and in the process destroy it then removed the fsb pins. after you are done doing what you plan on doing a new flashhider of equal length will need to be permanently attatched.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ok, since no one has asked the question, I will. Why do you want to put a flip-up front sight on your AR? Please understand that I'm not saying that you're wrong for wanting to do so. I ask the question if we know why you want to do something, we can offer better advice.

I guess a little background would have helped.  I'm going to put an EoTech sight on, and I think that the front sight will be in the way.  I did get a LaRue mount for it, but I'm not sure if that will give it the clearance that it needs.  It should be here tomorrow hopefully, so I'll know better then.

if im not mistaken the sebr has a permanently attatched izzy. you will need to remove it and in the process destroy it then removed the fsb pins. after you are done doing what you plan on doing a new flashhider of equal length will need to be permanently attatched.

That's going to be a bit of a problem.    I want to remain able to restore the SEBR back to original condition.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I guess a little background would have helped.  I'm going to put an EoTech sight on, and I think that the front sight will be in the way.  I did get a LaRue mount for it, but I'm not sure if that will give it the clearance that it needs.  It should be here tomorrow hopefully, so I'll know better then.

Aha! I'm glad I asked the question then.

Seeing the front sight in the optic's window bothers some folks and not others. With red dot type sights, it is often prefered to have the front and rear sight visible through the optic's glass. This is referred to as co-witnessing and allows the shooter to instantly transition to their iron sights if their optic should fail for any reason (dead battery, electronics failure, etc.). Whether or not this is important to you is a personal choice.

When you look through a red-dot, you focus on the target and not the dot (or reticule). The front and rear sights just "ghost" away because you're not focusing on them. When you look at the target, the optic's reticule will superimpose itself over the target.

Anyway, get your EO Tech, mount it, sight it in and put some rounds downrange with it and decide for yourself. The worst thing to do is buy something because you think you need to only find out you never did.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aha! I'm glad I asked the question then.

Seeing the front sight in the optic's window bothers some folks and not others. With red dot type sights, it is often prefered to have the front and rear sight visible through the optic's glass. This is referred to as co-witnessing and allows the shooter to instantly transition to their iron sights if their optic should fail for any reason (dead battery, electronics failure, etc.). Whether or not this is important to you is a personal choice.

When you look through a red-dot, you focus on the target and not the dot (or reticule). The front and rear sights just "ghost" away because you're not focusing on them. When you look at the target, the optic's reticule will superimpose itself over the target.

Anyway, get your EO Tech, mount it, sight it in and put some rounds downrange with it and decide for yourself.

I wasn't aware that the sights could be used in conjunction with the EoTech.  I agree with what you say about giving it a try.  I'll do that.

The worst thing to do is buy something because you think you need to only find out you never did.

Anybody want to buy a Troy front flip up sight?  

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I was in the same boat as you.  I bought a Bushmaster Superlight A3 with plans to add an EOTech.  My intention was to put on flip-up front and rear sights because I didn't want the front sight cluttering up my sight picture.  I then found that no one makes a flip-up front sight for a Superlight barrel (.625" diameter) and I would have to go with a Yankee Hill single rail gas block and then add a dovetail flip-up sight.  This was getting more expensive by the minute!  Well, I removed the carry handle and mounted the EOTech on a Rock River Dominator rail.  On my first trip to the range with the EOTech, I was shocked to find that the front sight (which I imagined would be a HUGE distraction) was hardly visible when I focused on the target.  Now I'm glad I didn't spend the money to go with flip-up sights after all.  By raising the EOTech 1/4" using the Dominator, the iron sights are in the lower 1/3 of my EOTech window and I only have to lower my head slightly to use the irons IF the EOTech ever craps out.  Good luck whatever you decide.

Here's a pic of my setup:

http://home.earthlink.net/~s.shafer/DCP_2161.JPG
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This was getting more expensive by the minute!......... Good luck whatever you decide.

Here's a pic of my setup:

home.earthlink.net/~s.shafer/DCP_2161.JPG

welcome to the club shafer.

that there is one big damn light. are you sure you will be able to see in the dark with that thing?

BTW, your name wouldn't happen to be Shawn, would it?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top