Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 4:33:17 PM EDT
I just got a new Mil spec buffer tube in the mail and I'm about to swap out my commerical tube. Is there anything I need to know about removing the castle nut? Do I need a special tool for this? Are there any other "lessons learned" from swapping buffer tubes?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:38:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:46:30 PM EDT

Thanks! Let's say that I didn't want to wait to order the tool..... is there any other way to remove and re-install it with common tools without messing up the nut or the tube?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:52:54 PM EDT
They shouldn't be that tight. So maybe if you wrap something around it to protect it, then use some channel lock pliers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:01:24 PM EDT
If youv'e never removed one before, don't forget to keep some pressure on the back plate with your fingers to keep that little spring from flying out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:13:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Eagle-ReaperDriver:

Thanks! Let's say that I didn't want to wait to order the tool..... is there any other way to remove and re-install it with common tools without messing up the nut or the tube?

Buy the correct tool or your next post will be

"where can I buy a new castle nut?"
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:20:08 PM EDT
Man I went through two dedicated RRA stock wrenches before I was told to heat it up to melt the lock tight that was on my RRA Carbine. Dude please take my advise it is not worth the trouble do not do it, I ruined my castle nut luckily I had a spare nut and tube becouse I fucked them both up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:28:14 PM EDT
I use a punch and a hammer.
Top Top