Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2004 10:40:13 AM EDT
I have a rifle with a fake flash hider on it that has been silver soldered on. Come the 14th, I would like to remove the phony flash hider and reinstall the original and leave the threads clean like it’s supposed to be. How do I go about this?

Can I heat the barrel/flash hider up with a little propane torch and expect it to melt the solder and unscrew the phony flash hider and then clean off the threads?

Do I need a hotter torch?

How hot is too hot?  

Or am I just SOL?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Propane doesn't get hot enough.

MAPP or acetylene is needed.

You must also ensure that this wasn't pinned in any way also.  If you try to thread it off and it was pinned in addition to the silver solder, you will tear up the threads.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#2]
If your barrel is long enough, why not cut it off, and re-thread it? This is what I am planning to do.  I may have to turn it down for the die first, but it will save me a lot of trouble.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If your barrel is long enough, why not cut it off, and re-thread it? This is what I am planning to do.  I may have to turn it down for the die first, but it will save me a lot of trouble.

If it is just silver solder, heating it up and spinning it off is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought with the press on muzzle brakes they were fitted onto splined shafting at the end of the barrel ? Hence pressed-on ... it will be sweet if under my phony A2 birdcage type muzzle break were threads ... let me know . If a flash hider were all one was trying to accomplish couldn't the end of the muzzle brake just be drilled out , without effecting accuracy ??? ... let me know
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Pictures really help me out figuring out what needs to be done, but these muzzle brakes are really no big deal.  If you know for a fact that it is only silver soldered, then you simply heat up the brake and occasionally test the brake to see if it will spin off and spin it off when the solder releases.  If pinned, you grind/dremel the brake until you find the pin/setscrew then you work to remove it and spin the muzzle brake off.

No drilling of the muzzle brake or cutting of the barrel is necessary.  If you were willing to do either of those, why not just work to remove the brake and save yourself having muzzle work to do after you are done.

IF your muzzle brake was a slide on & pin model then you will obviously have muzzle work to do after the brake is off.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER....................if you remove ANY LENGTH, that is any length off of a 16" barrel to cut off your muzzle brake, whatever you install on that barrel will have to be PERMANENTLY INSTALLED and total barrel length has to be over 16", or else you may risk owning an unregistered short barreled rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top