Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2009 11:25:16 AM EDT
How do I uninstall the magazine catch on an AR-15? Got a CA legal bullet button that I want to remove, and it looks like I have to remove the mag catch to get the button off.

Also keep in mind I am retarded when it comes to tools... so please explain as much as you can.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#1]
You can use a pen. Place the pen vertically on a flat, hard surface. Use the pen to push on the magazine release button. The catch will start to protrude from the other side of the rifle. Give yourself enough room to rotate it fully, and just turn it counterclockwise until it comes off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Push the button in with something like needle nose pliers, way in, then on the other side of the lower unscrew the mag catch and you are done.  Check youtube for the video on how to assemble a stripped lower if you want a little pictorial and just do the opposite.

ETA: 87GN beat me to it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Tried that, but it didn't stick out that far. Guess I'll just have to push it harder.

I'll go ahead and try this. Thanks for the quick replies.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The mag catch won't push out far enough to unscrew. Seen the videos on how to assemble, but it never gets out that far.

Link Posted: 10/3/2009 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are trying to remove a bullet button, the big, outside part that looks like a button won't push in.  Did you try the technique mentioned above, but push the inner, smaller portion of the button into the receiver.  The button itself should not move, just the inside part.  It is the same way you would take the mag out, but push it in a lot farther.  You may need a long tip, small diameter punch instead of an eraser.  If you can get the latch to protrude enough out the left side, grab it and pull as hard as you can and unscrew it.  Sometimes it will not clear the bolt catch because of the design.

If it is the one I'm thinking of you will have a total of four pieces (latch, outside plastic block that looks like a hollow long button, spring and the small oval nut.  The new catch will only have a latch, spring and button.

Link Posted: 10/3/2009 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you are trying to remove a bullet button, the big, outside part that looks like a button won't push in.  Did you try the technique mentioned above, but push the inner, smaller portion of the button into the receiver.  

Yeah, did that. Pushed the smaller inner part (the button within the button) in with a small screw driver.

I have the original mag button parts. Just the button and the spring.

This BB has an extra part, the nut (correct term?).
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, both will use the same latch, so the new (real) one will only have the spring and button.

If you have a vice, put the small punch in a vice so it's vertical and set the receiver, button side down with the tip of the punch on that little nut (the button within the button) and push the receiver down.  The latch might expose with the amount of pressure you can put on it that way.

This link has some pictures.  Is it what you have?  Bullet Button  There is another brand that looks like a real mag button, but it has set screws in it that need to be removed first.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
My BB has the same instructions, but looks different:

Could possibly be an older or newer version.

I don't have a vice.

Guess I paid $275 for what would be half an SKS.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Stick a pen/punch into the bullet button's hole, this will allow the magazine catch to be pushed out.

Twist magazine catch counter clock wise.  Removed.

I currently use a Raddlock.  Where in CA are you?  Maybe we can meet up and I can help.
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Tried the punch thing. Scratched up the button and lower a bit, but the catch never gets pushed out far enough.

But, now I can pull the big black thing (fake button or w/e it is called) a little, but when I let go it always gets pulled back. I am not sure if this is good or not.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I fixed the issue with one of those bullet button removal tools.

Apparently it had some locktie (spelling) in it. Explains why it was impossible to unscrew. But the right tool got it out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top