Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2003 10:02:50 AM EDT
I'm thinking about refinishing several of my mags, but many of them have a fair amount of gunk on them.  It looks like old adhesive from tape that was removed long ago.  What's the best way to remove this stuff without scratching up the mag body?  I can tell just soap and water isn't going to remove it.  Paint thinner maybe?  TIA.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Try lighter fluid, seems to work real well on masking tape residue.  They also sell some commericial stuff called "Goof-off" which is essentially the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are going to refinish them anyway there are several things to remove tape residue.  Goof off or Goo Gone both work well as will Isopropyl Alcohol.  MEK will remove the residue in a hurry but it is real bad stuff if you get it on you (it absorbs thru the skin) so use protective gear when using.  

Personally I would use some Isopropyl or even Acetone
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had alot of luck with spray cans of brake cleaner . I use the NON -chlorinated .
 I had several mags with duct tape crap on them and this stuff virtually took off all of the residue . I did help with some paper towels .

The brake cleaner removes minimal amounts of the original mag finish .
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Mineral spirits, AKA paint thinner, will remove the goo without damaging the finish. If the goo is old enough and dry enough you may have to soak the mag in the thinner over night. It will not harm the finish. Prior to refinishing, clean with alcohol to remove any petroleum residue.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I tried paint thinner last night, since that's what was sitting in my garage.  I put some on a rag (with rubber gloves) and wiped down one of the less severly gunked mags.  Most of the adhesive came off and I could see that with an old toothbrush the rest would probably come off as well.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top