Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2006 6:01:00 PM EDT
On the Bushmaster AK carbine, if you remove the AK brake the barrel is 14.5 inches.  What flash suppressor can be installed to legally meet the barrel length?  I was thinking the Bushmaster Phantom since it is 2 1/4 inches long, but it requires a threaded barrel.  Is the AK carbine barrel threaded under the brake, or will threading the barrel shorten the over all length any?

Thanks in advance

Eli
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It's threaded under the brake. That barrel with a phantom makes a nice shooter.

Nick (have one set up that way myself)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a Yankee Hill Phantom.

This was a  Mini Y Comp on this barrel, I cut it off then installed the Phantom.

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the Phantom then Mig welded it to the barrel and filled the holein with weld  to make it a legal.   After grinding it smooth there is only a 1/8" round shiny spot on the underside of the flash suppressor.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What flash suppressor can be installed to legally meet the barrel length?  

Pick any of these that list the muzzle device as "Makes M4 non NFA" (extream right hand column)

Muzzle Devices

My preferences are for the Vortex and the Phantom.  But there are several other options.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#4]
How exactly would one go about removing the brake - without making a mess? I have the same setup and I'd love to change it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How exactly would one go about removing the brake - without making a mess? I have the same setup and I'd love to change it.

Takes some work.

I read a detailed "How to" on it here a while back. It involves a dremel to reveal the pins holding the brake. essentially it need to be cut off

I'd pass myself an send it to someone with the set-ups to handle it quickly easily

and may with one I own

ADCO comes to mind

(I will see if I can find the pictorial "How to")

ETA: Eagle Firearms does it for $30........... look here

found these excerpts

I removed the AK brake from my bushy by splitting it lengthwise along the 12 and 6 o'clock positions with a dremel and some application of a bench grinder for the heavier work. The pins in mine were at 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Just split lengthwise and use a screwdriver in the slot you just cut to break into two peices. Voila no damage and silly ass brake is removed for $0.00. I'll give you and measurements or info if it will help, I kept the old brake in case it might help anyone else who wanted to get their AK brake off. Let me know if you need info or pics.

Dale

and

The Dremel - God's gift and curse to mankind!!!

Bushmaster did a good job hiding the pin welds. I removed the phosphate and still no joy on finding the pins. They ran east-west through the barrel. I used the Dremel and a cut off wheel and very carefully took it off in 6 parts. Thankfully the barrel is indeed threaded. Bushmaster web site used to say, "permanently pressed on AK brake". Not so Joe. Pinned and welded on a threaded barrel as you said.

or

not pinned, just soldered on...look for the holes at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and dremel the brake down until you just barely start to see the threads. remove brake. the HBAR barrels are threaded under the brake.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
May want to find Team Member edwin907.

Here is what he made from his Bushmaster "Shorty AK" model (found it searching for the "How to"

Nice work edwin

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a pain in the ass, for $30 it's not worth the risk of me *blam*ing it up. Thanks for the info gents.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top