Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 9:10:20 PM EDT
Yes I seached.

Just like the title says, I'm looking to remove an old style, NO LUG 3-prong Vietnam era flash suppressor. Any advice or links to a faq/guide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

GhoSSt
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a special wrench for this. It really makes the job easier. Basically it fits down between the three tines. Of course this wrench is long out of production.

If you have a strap wrench, like some oil filter wrenches, you might be able to break it free. Once free you can then use it to install and remove the f/s again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There is a special wrench for this. It really makes the job easier. Basically it fits down between the three tines. Of course this wrench is long out of production.

If you have a strap wrench, like some oil filter wrenches, you might be able to break it free. Once free you can then use it to install and remove the f/s again.

Good advise here.  I would let it sit in Kroil oil and then go with a strap wrench first, then I would get the special tool.

The strap wrench is the prefered no mar way, then the special tool.

Many will tell you to use a knife or screwdriver, don't do this if you want ding or scratch your flash hider.  This is the last resort option.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:22:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone know where to get this special wrench? I too have to do some work on a 3 prong and ive just about gone down the list of every dealer in the Industry section and no one has it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes I seached.

Just like the title says, I'm looking to remove an old style, NO LUG 3-prong Vietnam era flash suppressor. Any advice or links to a faq/guide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

GhoSSt

I can loan you my old M16 Armorer's Wrench.  They had cut-outs for the three prong as well as a 3/4" slot for the birdcage designs.  IM me your address.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does anyone know where to get this special wrench? I too have to do some work on a 3 prong and ive just about gone down the list of every dealer in the Industry section and no one has it.

The tool has long been out of production.

Soak it in Kroil (if it's that stuck) and use a small strap wrench (can be found at Wally World) and you should have no trouble getting those off.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
I can loan you my old M16 Armorer's Wrench.  They had cut-outs for the three prong as well as a 3/4" slot for the birdcage designs.  IM me your address.

I appreciate the offer. Let me try the strap wrench method first and we'll see how that works.

Thanks for the input guys!

GhoSSt
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Old Butcher knife.  Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Watch e-bay or other such places and cruise the isles at gunshows.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
There is a guy here selling a little insert that fits down between the tines and allows you to put a hex wrench on the little insert.
I bought one for $5 or $6.

I have it out in my shop, still in the bag with his business card.
I'll try to remember to go get that card and post it here.

Funny company name... Made it Myself machining or something like that.

That'd be great! Please let us know.

GhoSSt
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#12]
SWEET! I'll email him now!

GhoSSt
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top