Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2003 3:12:05 PM EDT
How often do you guys clean under your handguards? Every time you shoot, every other time, never?? Just want to see where I fit in, lol.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean they come off???       [;)]

Seriously, every time I shoot... but don't base it on me, I love cleaning my guns... [bounce]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends if grass or a bush starts growing through the vent holes.[:D]  Actually about 1 out of every 3 trips to the range.  There a PIA with out a tool too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep... everytime I shoot my AR15s I'll clean under the handguards.  You've gotta understand, though, I'm an anal CPA who really wanted to be a mechanical engineer.  I love taking rifles apart and cleaning them....
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Clean?  Under the handguards?  Why?  What could happen under the handguards?

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got close to a thousand rounds thru my Bushy and haven't had them off other than just after I got it.  Same with my RRA M4, they havent been off since I put them on originally.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I take mine off once a year. But I don't shoot in the desert or dusty conditions.  It depends on your environment. But to each his own. It is a PIA unless you have tool, or a spare set of hands.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:24:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Once a year, if I have nothing better to do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't yet only because I'm not allowed to physically strain or it may cause health problems.  I guess I will have to pay somebody to take it apart for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
The only reason to clean under the handguards is to prevent corrosion.  If you put a good film of CLP on the barrel, you shouldn't need to take the handguards off again unless you drop the rifle in mud or water, shoot in the rain, or are shooting in a marine environment regularly.  High rates of fire will burn off the CLP, but there should still be some residue left on the barrel to prevent corrosion.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Is one handguard removal tool as good as another?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#11]
The more you take them off the easier it gets,

I don't think I'm that strong but taking them off now is a 2-3 second thing by myself. Going on is just as easy if not easier.

Just spend some time with them, it becomes easy but it's really not neccesary it's always cool to show off the blue gas tube though. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Just when it is needed
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]
One second, please.  A tool?

I haven't seen a tool for taking off handguards.  I absolutely hate to do this, because it's a 2-person job with much grunting and panting (at least on my Bushmaster).  (And no comments on my description.)

Where do I find this tool?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:10:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like this:

[img]www.bushmaster.com/shopping/handguards/Images/hgd-tool.jpg[/img]

[url]www.bushmaster.com/shopping/handguards/hgd-tool.asp[/url]

They work slick, make the job simple, and everytime I use mine I think, 'why didn't I think of that?'.

Lots of places besides Bushmaster are starting to carry them now...
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#15]
My oldest rifle I've had for 5 years now and the handguards have come off three times - and one of those was to replace it with M4 handguards.

The only thing that needs attention under the handguards is a slight film of CLP on the barrel to prevent corrosion. If I get the barrel hot enough to smoke off the CLP (your barrel will look whitish-grey when you do this, so it is easy to spot), then I pull the handguards and reapply CLP. Otherwise I leave it alone.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I take mine off once a year. But I don't shoot in the desert or dusty conditions.  It depends on your environment. But to each his own. It is a PIA unless you have tool, or a spare set of hands.  
View Quote

This has been my experience.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Wowie.
Thanks.
I owe you a fingernail.

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#18]
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top