Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/17/2005 10:41:13 AM EDT
Well I am in the process of building my first AR and wanted to know what removable carry handle to get. I have seen some no name carry handles on websites for as low as $35. What do you guy suggest for a removable carry handle for around $50-75?

Thanks for the help!

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:06:11 PM EDT

I like the Armalite.

Bushmaster is probably ok as well.

IMHO
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:14:51 PM EDT
reply I have a DPMS new in wrapper I will sell you for $65.00 with shipping they list for $89.00 on most web sites. This is an extra and I am mounting an ACOG so I dont need this one. Let me know if interested

Thanks
Jim
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:52:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bchboy1206:
reply I have a DPMS new in wrapper I will sell you for $65.00 with shipping they list for $89.00 on most web sites. This is an extra and I am mounting an ACOG so I dont need this one. Let me know if interested

Thanks
Jim

Thank you for the offer, I will keep you in mind. I am right in the middle of building my first AR-15 and still need to order the upper this week. I will see how much cash I have left and I will get back to you.

Thanks, Derek
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 3:51:57 AM EDT by HankC]
I have the $35 carry handle. I guess for the price, just give it a try. It is obviously made of die cast, I can see 3 ejector marks at the side. The windage knob has some slop. I took off the knob and realized that the detent ball (3mm dia) has too much clearance in the hole (3.8mm), I shimmed up the hole and it is much positive now. The sight hight is about the same as my recently acquired Bushmaster carry handle, so I think it should zero Ok on my Stag upper on the way. For $35, I think you got what you pay for, with a little tweak, it should work just fine, but I say this with some reservation since I have not put it on a rifle yet.

Hank
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:47:19 PM EDT
The cheapie ones just suck, and you will never be happy with one. Think twice about whether a full carry handle is really what you want anyway... if you later get an optic, the CH will be worthless as a BUIS. You may want to go straight to a solid, non-folding BUIS. If it matters, I am partial to this DPMS sight, which is just as solid as a carry handle yet I can fit an Aimpoint/EOTech in front of it.:

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:03:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2005 7:04:42 PM EDT by xjedix]
The $35 carry handle is made by Leapers. Has anyone heard of Leapers? Do they make good stuff? Let me know if anyone has expirience with Leapers carry handles.

Here is a link to their site:

www.leapers.com

Thanks, Derek
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:23:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By xjedix:
The $35 carry handle is made by Leapers. Has anyone heard of Leapers? Do they make good stuff? Let me know if anyone has expirience with Leapers carry handles.

Here is a link to their site:

www.leapers.com

Thanks, Derek

They don't have the best of reputations.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=247601

This is about some of their optics but does give you an idea of the overall quality of their products...

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:27:38 PM EDT
When I was looking to buy a removable handle I looked at the cheap one next to a JT and a Colt.
The cheapo did not have good solid clicks on the sight adj. and the clamping bar and thumb screws were sub standard compared to the J&T or Colt.
I got the J&T and I am very happy with it.($75 if memory is working)
The Colt, though it was the better of the 3 was not worth the extra $ for me.($100)
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:36:23 PM EDT
If its anything like the $35 ones I'm thinking of, its nothing but a Japanese POS...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:52:01 PM EDT
Bushmaster, RRA, Colt takeoff carry handles routinely go for $65-$100 on the Equipment Exchange here. I'd check there. Stay away from the cheapie handle. Why would you dump $700+ on a rifle and then put a POS sight on it? The sight is one of the most important parts as it dictates your ability to hit what you're aiming at.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:01:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bullseye_Doc_Holiday:
Bushmaster, RRA, Colt takeoff carry handles routinely go for $65-$100 on the Equipment Exchange here. I'd check there. Stay away from the cheapie handle. Why would you dump $700+ on a rifle and then put a POS sight on it? The sight is one of the most important parts as it dictates your ability to hit what you're aiming at.

As I figured, I will look into a better carry handle.

Thanks, Derek
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:05:00 PM EDT
Get on yahoo or google and search for a gun show near where you live. They usually got many to chose from.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:08:24 AM EDT
As mentioned, the EE has plenty of good deals out there. I have both a DPMS BUIS and a Bushy Carry Handle from there - both like new and only $65/apiece shipped. Give it a check (Note: Don't just look under the Optic/Sight EE - check out all of them as you will find these gems pop up in the craziest places ;)
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:02:19 AM EDT
Get Colt or CMT. there the only ones I can think of right now that have the Mil-Spec highth.
Top Top