Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 10:41:13 AM EDT
Well I am in the process of building my first AR and wanted to know what removable carry handle to get.  I have seen some no name carry handles on websites for as low as $35.   What do you guy suggest for a removable carry handle for around $50-75?    

Thanks for the help!

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]

I like the Armalite.

Bushmaster is probably ok as well.

IMHO
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
reply I have a DPMS new in wrapper I will sell you for $65.00 with shipping they list for $89.00 on most web sites. This is an extra and I am mounting an ACOG so I dont need this one.  Let me know if interested

Thanks
Jim
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
reply I have a DPMS new in wrapper I will sell you for $65.00 with shipping they list for $89.00 on most web sites. This is an extra and I am mounting an ACOG so I dont need this one.  Let me know if interested

Thanks
Jim

Thank you for the offer, I will keep you in mind.   I am right in the middle of building my first AR-15 and still need to order the upper this week.  I will see how much cash I have left and I will get back to you.

Thanks, Derek
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the $35 carry handle. I guess for the price, just give it a try. It is obviously made of die cast, I can see 3 ejector marks at the side. The windage knob has some slop. I took off the knob and realized that the detent ball (3mm dia) has too much clearance in the hole (3.8mm), I shimmed up the hole and it is much positive now. The sight hight is about the same as my recently acquired Bushmaster carry handle, so I think it should zero Ok on my Stag upper on the way. For $35, I think you got what you pay for, with a little tweak, it should work just fine, but I say this with some reservation since I have not put it on a rifle yet.

Hank
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The cheapie ones just suck, and you will never be happy with one. Think twice about whether a full carry handle is really what you want anyway... if you later get an optic, the CH will be worthless as a BUIS. You may want to go straight to a solid, non-folding BUIS. If it matters, I am partial to this DPMS sight, which is just as solid as a carry handle yet I can fit an Aimpoint/EOTech in front of it.:

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The $35 carry handle is made by Leapers.  Has anyone heard of Leapers?   Do they make good stuff?  Let me know if anyone has expirience with Leapers carry handles.

Here is a link to their site:

www.leapers.com

Thanks, Derek
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The $35 carry handle is made by Leapers.  Has anyone heard of Leapers?   Do they make good stuff?  Let me know if anyone has expirience with Leapers carry handles.

Here is a link to their site:

www.leapers.com

Thanks, Derek

They don't have the best of reputations.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=247601

This is about some of their optics but does give you an idea of the overall quality of their products...

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was looking to buy a removable handle I looked at the cheap one next to a JT and a Colt.
The cheapo did not have good solid clicks on the sight adj. and the clamping bar and thumb screws were sub standard compared to the J&T or Colt.
I got the J&T and I am very happy with it.($75 if memory is working)
The Colt,  though it was the better of the 3 was not worth the extra $ for me.($100)
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If its anything like the $35 ones I'm thinking of, its nothing but a Japanese POS...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Bushmaster, RRA, Colt takeoff carry handles routinely go for $65-$100 on the Equipment Exchange here.  I'd check there.  Stay away from the cheapie handle.  Why would you dump $700+ on a rifle  and then put a POS sight on it?  The sight is one of the most important parts as it dictates your ability to hit what you're aiming at.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bushmaster, RRA, Colt takeoff carry handles routinely go for $65-$100 on the Equipment Exchange here.  I'd check there.  Stay away from the cheapie handle.  Why would you dump $700+ on a rifle  and then put a POS sight on it?  The sight is one of the most important parts as it dictates your ability to hit what you're aiming at.  

As I figured, I will look into a better carry handle.  

Thanks, Derek
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Get on yahoo or google and search for a gun show near where you live. They usually got many to chose from.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#13]
As mentioned, the EE has plenty of good deals out there.  I have both a DPMS BUIS and a Bushy Carry Handle from there - both like new and only $65/apiece shipped.   Give it a check (Note: Don't just look under the Optic/Sight EE - check out all of them as you will find these gems pop up in the craziest places ;)
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Get Colt or CMT. there the only ones I can think of right now that have the Mil-Spec highth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top