Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 5:46:53 PM EDT
I just got my new Bushmaster M4/A3 in last week, I took some time and decided to start using Remington 55 grain UMC rounds. I put 60 rounds through the my M4 and the range a couple of days ago and noticed a little residue and bullet residue in the barrel and as well as on the bolt and firing pin, seems they burn a little dirty but overall was somewhat satisfied with the round, its cheep and cheep again, its either Remington UMC or Wolf in my price range and I rather stick with Remington after the things I’ve herd about Wolf ammo, should I stick with Remington UMC for long-term use and will this bullet treat my gun right down the road and keep the chrome lined barrel healthy? The ups and downs please
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
UMC is fine ammo to use. Yes it shoots a little dirty but thats why you clean when you get home from the range.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
UMC is fine ammo to use. Yes it shoots a little dirty but thats why you clean when you get home from the range.

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:28:01 AM EDT
[#3]
As a General Rule I don't use UMC ammo.
If I were given some  as a present I'd use it with no hesitation.

When Brass Pro Shops opened a new store I bought 200 (or so) rounds of it as they had it on sale.

Winchester ammo is still a better price and it is closer to Mil-Spec than UMC.

But if you prefer UMC I'm not going to advise against it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Just out of curiosity, was the UMC you were using in the yellow box or the green & white box?  In my experience, it seemed that the older yellow box stuff left a lot more crud on the rifle than does the newer green & white box stuff.  Maybe I'm dreaming, but it sure seems that way.  I can't find any of the yellow box stuff to do any more comparisons.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#5]

As a General Rule I don't use UMC ammo.

Whats wrong with UMC?

Winchester ammo is still a better price and it is closer to Mil-Spec than UMC.

UMC (green white box)  is $4 A box, Winchester rounds are more I believe
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
It's OK for general use.
Kinda dirty, not as consistant, accurate or as hot as Winny White box which usually is cheaper anyways in most locations.
When shooting Winny White box or XM193 vs. UMC, I noticed groups opened up a couple inches with the UMC @ 50/100 yds. out of My 16 and 14.5 m4geries.

I haven't bought the stuff in over 3 years. Don't plan on buying more either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's OK for general use.
Kinda dirty, not as consistant, accurate or as hot as Winny White box which usually is cheaper anyways in most locations.
When shooting Winny White box or XM193 vs. UMC, I noticed groups opened up a couple inches with the UMC @ 50/100 yds. out of My 16 and 14.5 m4geries.

I haven't bought the stuff in over 3 years. Don't plan on buying more either.

What he said.

And it was the green & white box.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
GREAT AMMO for reloaders, or those who don't need full powered ammo for practice.  I like it cuz it's a mild load that is easy on my weapon, and the brass isn't all stretched out after firing it.  That makes for easy realoading since you don't need to trim the cases at all!

w00t!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top