Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/6/2003 5:59:01 PM EDT
I just read the post from Manghu67... and basicly it scared the crap outta me.

I just aquried 90% of a reloading setup. The only thing I am missing is the RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure. I have read up on the procedure for reloading and understand that there are both upper and lower limits in which the rifle will function correctly.

My Question is... with all of the many powder makers out there, who make a excellent product that will fill the casing to a point where there is no doubt about the charge?

Many responded to Manghu67's post stating over/under charges... full charges that left the primer uncovered ( a condition that would cause detonation... if I read correctly)

What powders do you experienced reloader's use??? I will also reload for a 9mm Luger cartridge and the .300 Rem Ultra Magnum cartridge. Any help is greatly welcomed.

FYI
.300 UltraMag ------ Remington 700 PSS 26" SS 1:10 twist

.223 Remington ----- Self Built AR-15 DPMS Forged receiver (Low-Pro flat-top) w/ 20" SS Broach Krieger Barrel 1:8 twist

9mm Luger ---------- Beretta 92FS

Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:55:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2003 6:57:08 PM EDT by SBR7_11]
This probably should be asked in the "Reload" forum.... stick with the powders listed in the loading guide. I use 748, Varget, IMR-4895, H322. Also good powders- H335, H4895, IMR-4064, AA-2230, AA-2015, AA-2460, AA2520 (a bit slow), IMR-3031, many others, but these are usually found easy at local store. (IBTL)
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:03:28 PM EDT
Winchester 748 is a good medium density powder that is very good for the newbie reloader as it is virtually impossible to overcharge the case. I would recommend it for that reason. Once you learn to trust your powder measure, soon you will want to try other powders. I use 53 gr. Sierra Match Kings (part no. 1400) over 23.0 grains (I think..I have to recheck my load data to be sure) of Hodgdon H322. I get tighter than half inch groups at 100 yards out of my Bushmaster HBAR with matched brass. CJ
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:50:53 PM EDT
Most .223 reloads call for charges in the 20gr + range...commercial .223 brass holds around 27gr or so...typically, the case will be almost full no matter what powder you use, and what bullet weight...hard to miss if you check the cases after you dump the powder, and before you seat the bullet. Dumping a second charge into the case will make quite a mess...there's really no way to miss it. Pistol reloading is another story...in the .40 load I've used, I could very easily put 2 charges in the case without noticing...MUCH scarier. 9mm, with it's smaller cases, may be different, but I haven't reloaded any 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:50:41 PM EDT
These are the bullets i'm interested in... 223 Remington Brass: Once fired- Lake City 2002 (Nato) Bullet: 55gr - 80gr 62gr SS109 62gr Speer FMT Boattail 55gr Speer FMJ Boattail 55gr Sierra Gameking SBT 69gr Sierra Matchking HPBT 77gr Sierra Matchking HPBT 300 Rem UM Brass: once fired- (by me) Factory Remington Bullet: 150gr - 220gr 150gr Speer Spitzer Boattail 165gr Speer Spitzer Boattail 165gr Speer Trophy Bonded Bearclaw SP 180gr & 200gr see above bullet 180gr Sierra Pro Hunter Round Nose 180gr Sierra Gameking SBT 220gr Sierra Gameking SBT
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:13:07 AM EDT
Try Varget. I reload pistol and rifle. EVERY time, I empty the powder measure completeley when done. EVERY time I start, I cycle the measure to verify there is no leftovers. EVERY time I grab a pound of powder off the shelf, I say the powder name OUT LOUD. NEVER have more than one powder off the shelf at one time. EVERY reloading session, I record my load. Set up a checklist, and follow it every time. If anything can go wrong, it might. But you can minimize the danger by following procedures. For example, I have a dedicated progressive press for .45 acp. Rifle ammo gets loaded in another press. It's safer, and easier than swapping toolheads and powder measures. And the press gets paid for in 1000 rounds or so... I'm way past that! Now, that fellow had a nasty Kaboom. He was using ammo out of a box, as required by the range he was at. Was he safer than if he had been building his own ammunition? I doubt it! I check my ammunition way more than any factory could do so and operate profitably. I have never found a problem. Posts like the Kaboom keep me on my toes, to keep up the checking. For all the fellas that build up ARs from tiny parts, it's surprising to me how few reload their own ammunition. Especially when you see how much you can shrink your group size. Pete
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 11:04:42 AM EDT
Sound advice, stinkypete!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:56:47 PM EDT
Thanks guys for the information. I did a little research and decided to go with: 223 Rem Hodgdon's Varget & Winchester 748 300 UM Hodgdon's H1000 & Retumbo 9mm HOdgdon's H-6 Also I am now preparing a checklist for my reloading sessions. I am also planning to build a custom powder check for all loads, once I perfect the loads. Until then I will double and triple check all loads. One thing that I do NOT want is a KB... Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:52:22 PM EDT
Remember - those military cases are heavier than the commercial ones the loading data was written for. Take 10% off the starting and top load data for all those bullet weights.
Top Top