Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2007 10:14:18 AM EDT
I have 60 rounds through my new LR-308, so the end of the barrel break-in is in sight, thank goodness.  Federal Match 168 gr Sierra Matchkings give best groups so far, 0.69 inches, 5 shots, 100 yards.  The ammo is expensive, and I'm considering reloading.  

I'd be a rookie reloader, and I have two questions I'm hoping somone can help with.  Unfortunately the LR-308 beats up the brass.  Every round has two dents on the case neck, parallel lines about 1/4 inch long.  The distance between the parallel dents matches the locking lugs exactly, so I'm assuming the case neck is hitting the locking lugs when it ejects.  I contacted DPMS customer service, and they said, basically, tough s***, that's the way the rifle is manufactured.  herwise
So, finally my questions.  First, could I reload the dented brass safely?  Sometimes there are little nicks out of the case neck, too.

Second, can this aggro be fixed?  Like, are there shorter springs for the ejector available?  I'm shooting single shot, with a device that lets the bolt lock back, could I just remove the ejector altogether?  I could just dig the brass out with my widdle fingers, but I worry about what I don't know might hurt me.  Like, if a primer was punctured, where would the gases go?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Small dents will come out when you resize the brass. I wouldn't worry as long as the metal hasn't been removed by gouging. You should be easily get 3-4 reloads before you have to anneal the case necks.

You could use a scrape to knock the sharp edges off the back corners of locking lugs.if it bothers you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Full length Resize and trim the brass and you'll be fine.  I reload for the LR-308 and it shoots fine with reloads.  I shoot the Hornady 150 FMJ with Ramshot TAP and it easy as pie.  The 150 is cheap, accurate and shoots very flat.  I also like Varget, but TAP meters better.

Hornady 150

In 308 there are so many bullet choices, it would take forever to try them all.  The Lapua Secnar 155 is really flat and the BC is incredibly low, but they are expensive.  It all depends on what you want to do.

Federal Brass has a rep for being soft, I noticed my federal brass primer pockets get loose long before the Black Hills brass.  My black hills brass is still going strong after 5 reloads.  

I dont really understand the desire to make the LR-308 into a single shot-- get a Rem 700VLS for half the price if thats your desire.  A semi auto is going to beat up the brass more than a bolt gun.  Thats life.  At least its not an HK-91.

My $.02
TJ
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Full length Resize and trim the brass and you'll be fine.  I reload for the LR-308 and it shoots fine with reloads.  I shoot the Hornady 150 FMJ with Ramshot TAP and it easy as pie.  The 150 is cheap, accurate and shoots very flat.  I also like Varget, but TAP meters better.

Hornady 150

In 308 there are so many bullet choices, it would take forever to try them all.  The Lapua Secnar 155 is really flat and the BC is incredibly low, but they are expensive.  It all depends on what you want to do.

Federal Brass has a rep for being soft, I noticed my federal brass primer pockets get loose long before the Black Hills brass.  My black hills brass is still going strong after 5 reloads.  

I dont really understand the desire to make the LR-308 into a single shot-- get a Rem 700VLS for half the price if thats your desire.  A semi auto is going to beat up the brass more than a bolt gun.  Thats life.  At least its not an HK-91.

My $.02
TJ

+1, Ya ain't seen "beat up Brass" until you see what HK 91 or similar clones will do to the spent brass. Also slings the brass out at 100MPH, don't let anyone to the right of it during shooting except for those you don't like.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
+1, Ya ain't seen "beat up Brass" until you see what HK 91 or similar clones will do to the spent brass. Also slings the brass out at 100MPH, don't let anyone to the right of it during shooting except for those you don't like.

+2:  I broke my patio sliding glass door with ejected brass from a Springfield SAR 8
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've reloaded for over a year for my SA58 FALs.  They beat the ever loving piss out of the brass and I reload all of them without difficulty.  In a word.... just size 'em, trim 'em, and don't worry about it.  Unless the dent is bad enough to weaken the brass or remove material there is nothing to worry about.  When it's fired any prior neck dents will be ironed out.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Great, thanks for the advice.  I'll go ahead and reload.

cav-scout-tj, the single shot routine is temporary, while doing barrel break-in.  But, putting rounds into small groups is habit forming.    Now I want to go to longer distances.   The bolt action is beginning to look attractive.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
If I can make one recommendation before you buy any equipment or start reloading purchase the book The Precision Shooting Reloading Guide  it will go along way to getting you making very accurate reloads and also help you in getting the right equipment the first time.

Tim Welter
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the precision reloading shooting guide.  a cws and adj gas block will help your brass a little.  rem is the best cheap brass.  ive gotten best results with 180gr matchkings and varget at 200/300yds, 175gr close behind.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

cav-scout-tj, the single shot routine is temporary, while doing barrel break-in.  But, putting rounds into small groups is habit forming.    Now I want to go to longer distances.   The bolt action is beginning to look attractive.

Dude the barrel break in is useless.  I found out that is for hand lapped barrels not production barrels. You may find however your bore cleans up easier but it won't be any more accurate. I went through it in my own way and the rifle ended up shooting better after 200rds with no cleaning and a hot barrel. I've just started reloading rifle ammo to and have a tone of LC, BH, Hornady, and Winchester brass. The other guy is right the Federal brass is very soft. They're also right about the fluted chamber 308s you can't reload any of that, it is so tore up. A few dents, sratches, and dings is no big deal you should see some of my pistol brass after 20 reloads!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude the barrel break in is useless.  I found out that is for hand lapped barrels not production barrels. You may find however your bore cleans up easier but it won't be any more accurate. I went through it in my own way and the rifle ended up shooting better after 200rds with no cleaning and a hot barrel. I've just started reloading rifle ammo to and have a tone of LC, BH, Hornady, and Winchester brass. The other guy is right the Federal brass is very soft. They're also right about the fluted chamber 308s you can't reload any of that, it is so tore up. A few dents, sratches, and dings is no big deal you should see some of my pistol brass after 20 reloads!

Hmmm, I've always heard that the other way around. Barrel breakin is FOR production barrels not hand lapped barrels.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Do a search here on barrel break in and see what McMillan had to say about it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top