Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 2:43:36 PM EDT
I will soon be finished with my first AR.  I hope to have a very accurate rifle.  Is it worth reloading for an AR?  Will reloads add much to the accuracy?  Would I be able to neck size only?  Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#1]
We are in the same boat.  After years of owning nothing but bolt guns, I recently bought an AR15, and have now added an AR10, obviously I like it!  I spent years reloading for precision accuracy (benchrest), so reloading for the AR rifles is certainly different.  Higher volume precludes all the case prep crap (except for timming, which is almost always needed with the .223 after the first firing), and it's not necessary anyway, not for the kind of shooting I do with it. Given the time involved, even using a Dillon progressive press, reloading for the .223 is probably not worth it; not with decent ammo available at $3.50 a box, and some questionable stuff even cheaper. In answer to your questions, yes, you can get more accuracy from your rifle by finding the right handload, but again, the difference isn't worth it to me. I do virtually all my AR shooting inside 100 yards, mostly plinking targets. And no, you should not neck size only, since the cases will get too tight for total reliability.  

I will definitely reload for the .308. I have just loaded some surplus, pulled 147 grain bullets in surplus primed brass, using surplus wc846 powder, and my all-in cost is about 17 cents; cheaper than top grade .22 rimfire ammo!  This AR stuff is great!  I shoot more now in an hour than I shot my bench guns in a month, plus the targets blow up, break,  or roll around!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
My .02...it was my fist AR that got me into reloading.  I saw the accuracy potential the first day I went from the 4" groups Wolf was giving me, to the 2 1/2" groups the SA surplus was giving me.  The next week, I tried Black Hill Match ammo and got a little over 1".  First batch of handloads got me under 1", so that pretty much sealed the deal.  

Only problem is, I shoot 99% of the time at paper targets...don't own any land to hunt, and no one else I know has any place to shoot either.  So, I got spoiled by hand load accuracy...if all I'm gonna do is shoot targets, damnit, I want small groups!

I usually shoot a couple of hundred rounds of .223 every week...so I sorta HAVE to reload...only way I can afford it.  But the price of the damn Nosler BTs is killing me lol.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]
For simple blasting ammo, no it doesn't really serve to reload.

But if you're going to turn out decent ammo for accuracy or varmint based shooting, yes you can see positive results.    If you don't see much  marked increase in accuracy then you'll atleast save money.    I figure I can load about 100 rounds of Vmaxes for what it would cost to buy just 40 rounds of comparable factory loaded ammo in the store.   Money savings can be hard to refuse.

Reloading for the AR series, definitely full length size and it's possible that you'll need to use a small base resizing die to really get that casing back down to like new case dimentions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
My handloads put in half inch groups (or better!) at 100 yards out of my Bushmaster with a 4X scope and shooting from sandbags.

They cost me about 200 bucks to load a thousand of them.   That's in the same realm as good quality blasting ammo (Q3131A, PMC, etc) but in terms of accuracy, it's in league with the good match ammo that costs a buck a shot if not more.

Reloading .223 is definitely worth it if you like nailing the bullseye instead of just the black center area of the target.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I reload for my AR using my Rockchucker single stage for ammo used to go Varminting but when I shoot 3-gun matches I use factory Winchester . Its not as accurate but I dont have to worry about jams or chambering problems if the brass doesnt resize correctly . This also gives me a great supply of once fired Winchester brass . The reloads are very accurate (under a 1/2 inch) so when shooting Gophers its not such a crap shoot and I can engage Prairie dogs out to 400 yds. with a high level of success . I have a 3-9x40 scope so much beyond that I cant really see much .
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#6]
For plinking ammo, no.  You can buy Wolf for under $100/case.  

But, you can reload very accurate ammunition for the same price as cheap non-accurate stuff.  It all depends on what kind of shooting you'll be doing.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top