Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/2/2004 9:39:55 PM EST
For those who choose red dot sights (specifically the EO-Tech) over iron sights, I would like to know how much faith you put into an electronic sight.

Has the EO-Tech ever failed? How are they holding up in the middle east? Any stories you would like to share?

I`m planning to mount an EO-Tech 512 onto my Remington 870. Will it hold up to the shotgun`s recoil, or should I go with an EO-Tech 552?

For the time being back-up iron sights are out of the question. If the power goes out on the red dot, how will I be able to aim? Would I simply place the center of the window over the target? How quickly can the EO-Tech be removed from a rail?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:16:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:32:15 AM EST
Yep, if power goes out you just center in window- works real well for close in shots... Pat Rogers had us doing it at his class a few weeks ago....

use the thumb screw and it's easy to remove- or get the larue mount....

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:52:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By NUCdt04:
Yep, if power goes out you just center in window- works real well for close in shots... Pat Rogers had us doing it at his class a few weeks ago....

use the thumb screw and it's easy to remove- or get the larue mount....

-Roth

Where can I get thumb screws for the EO-Tech?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:44:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:45:39 PM EST
This is what I needed to know. Thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:20:23 PM EST
I would trust my Eotech in any situation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:59:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By spork:

For the time being back-up iron sights are out of the question. If the power goes out on the red dot, how will I be able to aim? Would I simply place the center of the window over the target? How quickly can the EO-Tech be removed from a rail?

If the EOTech goes out, good luck eyeballing without your BUIS
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:10:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 3:12:11 PM EST by StealthyBlagga]
Its a shotgun...[sarah brady] you don't have to aim [/sarah brady].
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:24:53 PM EST
I’m not an operator so I can’t give you any front line examples but my EoTech 551 has been dropped twice onto concrete, kicked down range to where I had to wait for the next cease fire to retrieve it, banged around getting in and out of the car and left out in the rain overnight because I forget I had it sitting out on the deck. Through all that it isn’t any worse for the wear. IMHO, it’s very durable and I’ll get another one down the road.

People always want to know how I kicked it down range so the short version is, I forgot to put an extra half turn on the mounting screw with a quarter when I installed it on a new build. At the range I was blasting away testing out said build when I saw the EoTech swaying side-to-side! As I moved the rifle down the EoTech fell off to the side and in an effort to prevent it from hitting the concrete a third time I attempted to kick it out into the dirt in front of me. However, I ended up punting that thing about 10 yards out into the range. Every one around me stopped what they were doing and started laughing. Eventually the RO called cease-fire and I was able to walk out, pick it up, and reinstall it giving it an extra half turn using a quarter. She stayed put after that!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:53:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 3:57:17 PM EST by USMC03]
I'm not trying to bust any chops and I don't have a dog in this fight, just passing along my personal experience and info from others. I have used the C-More, EO Tech, both Reflex and Reflex II, Aimpoint Comp XD, and ML2. I have personally had issues with everything but the Aimpoints. I have seen at least 3 EO Techs go down for various reason DURING SWAT missions, and have seen one fall off a gun at a training class.

I guess I'm not the only guy who has seen issues with the EO Techs, check out my response and the at the link below (my post start off with "Read Pat Rogers' and Frogman's responses....and has a bunch of links provided in my post). On the links provided there is some great info from a bunch of different guys. Some are military guys, some are cops, some are trainers, some are average everyday joes.....If I was issued an EO Tech and had to run it on my gun, I would get a different mount for it and I wouldn't cry about it too much, but I feel that the Aimpoint is a better optic. But let's not turn this into another Aimpoint vs. EO Tech debate. Here is the info, decide for yourself:

EO Tech Info

Take care and stay safe

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:51:33 AM EST
Hey guys. I'm new here but had to speak up on this. I'm on a team that uses EO-Tech's on Armalite AR15A2 full auto rifles(20). We have had numerous failures ranging from they "just stopped working," to flying off the rifle during fire and or missions. I /We love the field of view but compared to Aimpoint Comp M2's the reliability we have experienced is not even comparable. Our's also take the 1.5 volt N type batteries and let me assure you, they eat batteries like chicklets. I have had batteries go down twice during actual operations or callouts. I carry two spare sets of EO Tech batteries on the weapon now. We had Trident concepts teach a two day class to us on July 7-8, and EVERY EO Tech at the class had at least one problem, ( again everything from just stopped working, to shooting off the weapon, to wandering zero). Not bashing them, just giving my honest experience. We love the fact that from 7 yards in the bottom reticle is point of aim point of impact for HR, and again the field of view is outstanding, but I would never recommend them. The Aimpoint can be used in conjunction with a line on the front sight base for a field expedient sight, the EO Tech is not suited for this. Jeff Gonzales from Trident Concepts said that he had seen EO Techs shot off rifles all over the country. My personal issued one has not, and I and another team Armorer assembled all of them, all the exact same way, even read all instructions believe it or not ( like where locktite is not reccomended for the mounting screw). Again, not bashing a product and If shooters here love theirs, great. Stick with em and keep doin what you are doin. Just our personal experience with minimal opinion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:14:45 AM EST
The CF is using EOTECH's on our carbines in Afghanistan.

Since we have relatively few of them they get swapped to the next incoming unit - the result that over 300 552's have done 18months straight over here.

The only issues I have seen with ours (keep in mind I am not a Weapons or FCS [Fire Control Systems] Tech but a 031 Infanteer) is a few have had rust/corrosion build ups in the battery box that requires stripping the box and cleaning the contacts. One 552 ran out of elevation during a zeroing practice on a buddies C8SFW.

For those of you that know I don't baby my kit - I have a SF light that due to the constant impacts etc is having troubles on my C8SFW - the EOTECH is GTG.

I have yet to see a EOTECH fall off a weapon - doing ranges, urban and rural patrolling, vehicle patrols etc. I have seen a bunch of PEQ's and PAC's fall off even some SF lights (most of ours are thumbscrews) - so it leads me to question those who have had those issues and maybe they are not consciencous enough with their kit.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:23:46 AM EST
Thanks Exodus153 and welcome to the site! It will be good to have your experience here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:18:48 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:47:58 AM EST
Hey again guys. Actually yes New-ARguy our Tac has spoken with a representative and they (EO Tech) or the supplier who we bought them from implied that they wanted to try to make things right. We haven't heard anything else about it. I heard from talking with other operators from other teams and some of my old military contacts that EO Tech had made some changes to their products. Again, I am not bashing anyones kit and like I said if yours is working, man that's great! Especially if it is on an operations deployable rifle! My prayer is that you destroy the enemy in great numbers and protect yourself and us as a nation. I was a big fan when we first got them because of cost etc. (initially they are significantly cheaper than an Aimpoint because you dont have to buy a mount), but my enthusiasm has wained since our experiences. I'll check this week with who the actual POC was and would appreciate any assistance in this matter. These aren't hobby rifles and I would love for them to be GTG 100%. So let me know SMG or anyone else if you have a person we could contact. Also after thinking about it, we have a couple mounted on two of our less lethal weapons and they have been OK. The other thing I meant to add also is the Aimpoint is MUCH more NVG friendly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:04:01 AM EST
I re-read my comments - I dig not mean a dig at anyone in particular, I just found it strange that some have had such mixed results with the EOTECH's.

Exodus - I understand your issue with Op guns and you can't have any doubt with that sort of kit...

FWIW Chen (SMG) sorted out a few issues we had early on with the 551's (dont use them in the cold) and to use 552 w/ Lithium batteries in the cold. He is a great "go to guy" with EOTECH's.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:05:04 AM EST
IIRC there were problems with the earlier 551s as KevinB has stated. From everything I read EOTech did make it right for those that had problems and I hope they do in Exodus153's case too! Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:57:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By KevinB:
I re-read my comments - I dig not mean a dig at anyone in particular, I just found it strange that some have had such mixed results with the EOTECH's.

Honestly Kevin I'm not.

I see two differences between the two points of view.

#1 The reliable ones (and the one with the longest battery life) are the AA EOTechs. Exodus mentions he has the 'N' ones (which have crappy battery life). The guys who abuse their EOTechs and still love them tend to be the guys with the 552s.

#2 Knowledge of the mounting screw. Keven and I and others on this board had the advantage of getting introduced to these sights by SMGLee who constantly stressed the 'Finger tighten - then add a 1/4 of a turn'. People who don't know that won't tighten their units enough and I could see them comming off. We've had the advantage of good advice BEFORE we went to the range with them.

Just my humble observations...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:06:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/4/2004 11:09:41 AM EST by Mike_T]
FWIW- I have been running an EOTech under field conditions for years and have had the opportunity to see many others in use.
Be advised, the new revisions are much better than the older ones. A large number of the older versions had bad adjustments. I noticed this on several units and contacted EOTech who informed me a subcontracter had made the screw threads out of spec aand they ould replace the sights that had issues. I personally know of one that got sent back with this problem and is now perfect. I do believe and endorse the AA version is a better unit than the N version

As for them falling off...I never had this problem. I do not use the thumbscrew though. I did see some that were loose- all had the thumbscrew mounted.
FWIW- YMMV.

BTW- Hi Kev!

EDITED to add- between typing and posting my message Forest added good info on the thumbscrew.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:09:25 AM EST
Mike_T,
Cheers, good info from both you and Forest. Glad for the addition opinions.

I won't run a N EOTech anymore and it looks like I am not alone.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:28:37 AM EST
I use my Eotech to do Tactical Carbine courses and havent had any issues other than Batteries goin bad. As far as these ppl that ahve EOtechs flying off, its not the sites fault, you either use BLUE LOC TITE or put some more effert into tightning it down (this can be said with ANY site not jus eotechs) Until mine fails ill continue using it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:28:34 PM EST
My team has 15 of the 551's on select fire Colt M4's. We also have Aimpoint M2's. No major problems. The only minor issues with the 551's are the battery compartment. Broke a couple of the little nubs on the battery door while closing the bar. The unit would still work, just wouldn't be water tight.

We got 552's within the past 8 months. Had several brand new units that the display would just shut off for no reason. Couldn't get them to turn back on ( and no it wasn't on NV setting ). After some fiddling with, we could occasionally get them to come back on after removing the batteries and re-installing them several times. I think they are great units, but seems they are having some quality control issues probably trying to keep up with the military order of 50,000.

Full-Auto
Top Top