Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/27/2002 10:12:43 AM EDT
I want to get a reflex or "holosight" type of sight for my Bushmaster A3 Shorty Carbine. I'm just looking for opinions on the best ones and comments on battery powered or light powered. I'm going to use the sight to shoot within 100 yards because I have another scope for shooting longer distances.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:55:37 AM EDT
Chase,
You may have an issue with the front sight w/a Flat top receiver if front sight is permanent while using a Holosight.

With a High Magnification Scope you probably wouldn't notice it. W/a Holosight type sight it will be in your face unless you mount it real high.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:06:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2002 12:10:16 PM EDT by mrcr0603]

Originally Posted By Stevan:
Chase,
You may have an issue with the front sight w/a Flat top receiver if front sight is permanent while using a Holosight.

With a High Magnification Scope you probably wouldn't notice it. W/a Holosight type sight it will be in your face unless you mount it real high.

Actually, having the ability to aim your iron sights THROUGH your "Reflex"-type optic is desirable, to allow you to have sighting in the event your optic FAILS and your electronic aiming point DISAPPEARS.

It's called CO-WITNESS, a term that gets BEAT TO DEATH around here.

I've got Trijicon Reflex's on my two AR's, and on the one that the iron sights are visible through the optic field of view, the front sight assembly is NOT a problem when sighting through the Reflex with both eyes open

Since I don't use my weapons for anything other than the range, co-witnessing is not a must have for me, so I'd love to have both front & rear flip-up sights, for a totally clear optic view.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:12:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2002 12:21:59 PM EDT by imposter]
IMHO, the two best are the Eotech 552 and Aimpoint. The Aimpoint has better battery life, better mounting options and better controls. The Eotech has a better recticle, uses common AA batteries, and the sight picture is a little lighter. Tough call, and they cost about the same when you factor in the Aimpoint mount. If you plan on switching between the dot and a magnified optic, I'd get the Aimpoint. The Eotech's mount is kind of an afterthought compared to the ARMS#22M68 + spacer for the Aimpoint, which is easy to take on and off and repeats zero nicely. E-mail Donnie at www.sableco.net for the best price on the scope and mount.

Another popular option is the Trijicon Reflex II, which does not need batteries. I don't like it becuase it (1) is too dark and (2) the recticle can wash out. With the improved battery life of the Eotech and Aimpoint, the Reflex has lost a lot of its appeal.

These are all seriously well built optics, and they run about $400 with mounts.

All of these sights work well with a fixed front sight. In fact, I believe they were all designed with that consideration in mind.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:08:33 AM EDT
Thanks for all the info.

I do have the A3 carbine, so I have the option of taking the handle off and mounting the optic like a flat top, or I was thinking of mounting it above the handle like I do with my regular scope...?? Does anyone make a mount for a reflex optic to go on top of the handle?

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:33:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 55Kingpin:
Thanks for all the info.

I do have the A3 carbine, so I have the option of taking the handle off and mounting the optic like a flat top, or I was thinking of mounting it above the handle like I do with my regular scope...?? Does anyone make a mount for a reflex optic to go on top of the handle?

ARMS makes the #2 mount (the best), which gives you a short Picatinny/Weaver rail on the carry handle. However, I haven't tried it with a detachable carry handle. There are differences from the A2 handle, but I don't know if it will effect the ARMS #2. From there, you can put rings, QD mounts, anything standard. However, this will be a bastardization of the A3 concept. Personally, I think you're better off keeping the carry handle in the case, and putting whichever reflex you want in front of the ARMS #40 backup iron sight. Putting a reflex that high on the handle will make the holdover much too high, and looking through the carry handle sights (and the ARMS#2) would be like looking through a long, dark tunnel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:14:01 AM EDT
Got the Reflex II .

Love it !!!!!

Get the one with the triangle "dot" .

Get to a gunshow & check them out !

Also check into the "flashkill " by Tennebrex . It helps .
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:10:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2002 11:12:17 AM EDT by imposter]

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:
Personally, I think you're better off keeping the carry handle in the case, and putting whichever reflex you want in front of the ARMS #40 backup iron sight.

I agree with that. With an optic mounted on top of the carry handle, the scope is extremely high. If you want to use the carry handle for some reason, get a gooseneck mount that puts the scope over the handguards while still being in line with the irons. But, like SJSAMPLE says, the channel in detachable carry handles is a different size than the standard A2, so everything might not fit exactly right. Your best option is really to ditch the carry handle, mount your optic directly on the rail, and get an ARMS#40.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:53:04 PM EDT
DUMP THE CARRY HANDLE!
JACK
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:26:01 PM EDT
I'm leaning towards the aimpoint sight.

Which MOA is the best for distances within 100 yards? Which model is the best Model M or the Mil-Spec or the Competition??

Thanks again for all of the great responses and info.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:30:36 PM EDT
The Aimpoint is currently in use by our military...right?

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:41:42 PM EDT
Yeah, I think they have a few of them
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 9:04:44 PM EDT
AIMPOINTS IN THE US MILITARY?, YEA, I THINK THAT LAST COUNT I HEARD OF WAS CLOSE TO 200,000.
Jack
Top Top