Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2003 2:28:51 PM EDT
Please provide the thread or information on the best finish to use (black t, teflon based, or moly resin). Which is the most durable finish for all parts of the weapon and which company does the best job.  

Also, which company breaks down the rifle for refinishing and which requires the weapon to be broken down before you send it to them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Why?  It's mostly aluminum and plastic.  Save your money and spend it on another toy [:D]
Joe
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.shootiniron.com[/url]

Never needed a refinish personally, but have heard great things about these guys.  Friendly, complete with good prices.  They'll break your stuff down and put it back together.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
In the world of Teflon, I'm leaning towards Birdsong for the toughest teflon coating. Teflon isn't end all solution though. It does have draw backs.
It is easily scratched relatively speaking. It wears very well though. I have Teflon-S on the frame of my duty weapon. I've been using it here in AZ every day for the past year and no wear has arose. I broke in a Milt SParks holster with it too.
I don't like refinishers who don't reassemble weapons when they're done. The finish changes the tollerances, and sometimes minor fitting is needed.
I don't like the idea of sending a weaapon in 200 parts either. That's a bad mix when UPS or Fedex is involved.
You can run into problems if you have a flash suppressor pinned on, see what that plater/coater intends to do with it. Some want to take them apart.
Birdsong is developing a new coating called Ceramic-T (I don't know if he personally developed the process or if he is just testing it.) As the name implies it is some sort of Ceramic coating. It is supposed to have the lubricant properties of teflon and be more scratch resistant. Last I heard the tollerances were tough to maintain, but this was many months ago.
I've heard good and bad on companies like Bearcoat, Wilson Combat, Robar. Some horror stories.
I've been considering for a while taking about 2 dozen 30 round USGI mags or those steel English mags and having them teflon coated inside and out, including the base plate, put all new springs and anti-tilt followers in them.
A lot of those companies do camo jobs too, if you're into that.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Might want to check out [url=www.robarguns.com]Robar[/url] or [url=www.lauerweaponry.com]Lauer Custom Weaponry[/url].  The first offers several finishes, including teflon types.  The second boasts their finish is the toughest.  These guys also seem popular: [url=www.arizonaresponsesystems.com]Arizona Response Systems[/url]  If the surfaces are non-bearing, I would rather go with a non-teflon.  If you want something that will also self lubricate, which is great for keeping your rifle dry thus avoiding fouling (internals), then some of the teflon impregnated finishes are nice.  Lauer's coat you can do yourself with no oven, or send it to them, and they have a wide variety of patterns.  Make sure whomever you send it to does LOTS and LOTS of business, well known, not many complaints, etc...
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The only place to go:

[url]www.azexarms.com[/url]

Call Derek@AzEx at 480 507 0200

This is my old SAR2 that he did in tan for me.  The pics just don't do it justice, but here you go

[img]http://www.azexarms.com/images/specials%20pics/DesertTanSar2.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top