Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/23/2004 3:24:24 AM EST
I have a few used 20 round magazines with the original alloy followers. All show finish wear, but one is starting to develop a relatively small divot where the edge of the last round is stripped off of it. Since this follower is down to the bare alloy I was wondering if I should refinish it. Anodizing would be nice, but since I'd rather not have it wear away the inside of the mag I was thinking of getting it plated and just doing the rest of them at the same time. I am considering nickel or chrome, and possibly having them bead blasted on the top to produce a matte finish on the area that would show with the bolt locked back on an empty mag. There is a place that does chrome plating near my parents' home and I am going to see if they would do it cheap. Do alloys need to be nickeled before chroming? I know there are different grades or types of aluminum so does anyone know which one I am dealing with? Also, is the original finish on the Colt alloy followers anodizing or something else?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:59:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 6:01:18 PM EST by 1Gunner]
John Masen has repro followers, I am going through the same situation as you. I haven't decided yet.

www.johnmasen.com/ar15/ar15magazines.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:46:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2004 7:48:47 AM EST by KurtVF]
Most of mine have this little divot but I am not aware of it being any type of problem. I don't think there is any finish on alloy followers from the factory so I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. I don't think these followers can wear out. I think you have a non-problem but who really knows?? Let us know what you do and how it works. If you want to get rid of any of these followers I will gladly take them off your hands.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:47:20 PM EST
Thanks for the responses. I am aware that it is really not a big deal and plan to hang onto this follower rather than replace it. I bought it locally so I can probably swap it out for a better one if need be. Being in a ban state I thought plating might make the followers last a lot longer in case their availability becomes limited in the future. I will probably just order a few extras when I stock up on springs to be safe.
Top Top