Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/16/2006 3:38:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 3:46:08 PM EDT by Dog1]
Got done today with refinishing the XM clone with Norrell's Gray/Black. Through the kindness of a Team Member, I got for free, enough Norrell's to refinish 6 guns, with the first being done today.

Before-

Here it is after being disassembled and de-greased, hung ready to shoot-

Here it is, after curing and re-assembled-

Norrell's is the shit. It's 100 times easier to use that any re-finishing stuff I have used in the past. It goes on smooth and I mean smooth. I had ZERO problems spraying it out of my Testors single action, external mix airbrush.

I have the Electirc Blue Testors airbrush compressor and I was fearful that it did not have enough pressure to spray it, but it did.

All and all, I will never use anything other Norrell's again. Easy to use and easy to clean up. It did not have alot of overspray and it went where I wanted/sprayed it to go.

Excellent product, wonderful results.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:41:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dog1:

Norrell's is the shit.

That is correct.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:57:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ekie:

Norrell's is the shit.

That is correct.

+1
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:00:55 PM EDT

Norrell's is the shit.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:03:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:

Norrell's is the shit.

So did I do good?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:05:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 4:06:02 PM EDT by Stickman]
C+ on the pictures, but the overall project gets an A.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:07:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
C+ on the pictures, but the overall project gets an A.

Yea I know..the pics don't have that Stickman feel, but I'm beat.

Maybe later I'll get the gear out and do it up proper..
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:10:29 PM EDT
nice work, did you do the rebuild yourself?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:11:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pointman_M4A1:
nice work, did you do the rebuild yourself?

Thanks...I did the build myself..I scrounged the parts from here in the EE and through the net...

I have about $550 in it..
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:29:00 PM EDT
really nice finish and for $550 that's a sweet deal.hock.gif
I have almost $1200 tied up in mine and its a basic M4gery.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:34:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pointman_M4A1:
really nice finish and for $550 that's a sweet deal.
I have almost $1200 tied up in mine and its a basic M4gery.

I got lucky and had a buddy sell me his RRA lower for $90, traded some parts for the stripped upper off of the EE, used Shurluk for the barrel and other parts, Brownell's for the LPK and small parts and ye old parts box for the rest.

After building 4 rifles this year and not spending over $1800 total for the builds, and the fact that my only factory built rifle, a Bushmaster, is a disappointment, I'll never buy another factory built gun again, unless I can find a sweetheart deal on a Colt 6920.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:51:30 PM EDT
The refinish looks great! Having the gray to offset the black furniture makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:08:56 PM EDT
This thread gave me the info I needed.

I was considering getting one of the Colt SP1 uppers off CDNN and mating it with a new lower.

This would be the ideal way to match the colors.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:12:46 PM EDT
$550----that is great....

I will have way more into mine. I wish I was patient and could wait for good deals instead of jumping into my buys.

As I am about refinish a 607D project, what does the Gray/Black really look like in person? Some of your pics look black and the other looks light gray
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:20:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By edwin247:
$550----that is great....

I will have way more into mine. I wish I was patient and could wait for good deals instead of jumping into my buys.

As I am about refinish a 607D project, what does the Gray/Black really look like in person? Some of your pics look black and the other looks light gray

Sadly, I did not get it done in time to take a pic outside, using natural lighting...I had to take a pic inside and using the flash.

I was hoping to take better pics tomorrow, but we have rain on tap all day

It's closer to the pic above the one on the cherry table. It's not as light looking in person..

I hope to add a few better pics in the next few days...

Sorry for the bad ones..
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:29:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By edwin247:

As I am about refinish a 607D project, what does the Gray/Black really look like in person?

It matches the color of the late 80s-90s Colt color. I've got a picture that shows the match pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:44:05 PM EDT
Thanks for the reply.

So if I am building a 607D, should I use Norrells Flat Gray instead of Gray/Black??? Would that be closer to the originals?

Stickman, any chance you have pics of all three colors to compare? Black, Gray/Black and Gray?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:04:08 PM EDT
I PM'd you a pic already, but for the real early ones, I think the flat gray may need to be mixed with grayish black.

I've got a picture of the flatgray, but imageshack isn't cooperating right now for me....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:18:28 PM EDT
I just did my XM clone in Norell's grayish/black as well. In person, it looks just like Dog1's carpet pic, not the lighter one. I used a surplus M16A1 upper, and it matched about perfect. I wouldn't even have refinished the upper except to clean up the scratches, etc. I didn't refinish the original rear sight parts or forward assist and they both match good.

Comparing it to my SP1 (1973), the SP1 gray is a little bit lighter. Do anodized finishes get lighter with age? When you see the old Armalites, etc. in current pictures, the finish always looks pretty light-gray. Anyway, to match my SP1 you'd have to mix a little gray with the grayish/black like Stickman said. I'd like to know if one of Norrell's stock grays would be too light or not.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:40:11 PM EDT
...so I mixed some of the gray/black with the black/gray but it came out a grayish black
so I'm gonna add a bit of black mixed with gray and see if I can get the blackish gray i want...

seriously tho' great looking work!
love to see some more pics!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:58:42 AM EDT
did you change the stock or paint it? which stock did you go with?

i painted my recievers in norells too and love it! heres a pic of mine cause it went so well i like showing it off.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:18:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 8:18:48 AM EDT by Dog1]

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
did you change the stock or paint it? which stock did you go with?

i painted my recievers in norells too and love it! heres a pic of mine cause it went so well i like showing it off.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/eklikewhoa/xm177/IMG_0638.jpg

And you should..that is what mine looks like in natural light.

My stock is the old 2 position tube and fiberlite stock. I removed the reinforcing ribs on the side, sanded it down and painted it gloss black, with Krylon Fusion.

It turned out very well..

If it was not fracking rainng here, I would take a better pic with natural lighting, but it pouring down rain...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:28:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 11:16:10 AM EDT by Bumblebee_Bob]
Great looking carbine Dog1! It turned out awesome.

And Norrell's is the shit.

If I get the chance I'll see if I can get a decent picture of my M16 upper mated to a Stag lower redone with Norrell's Black/gray. It was a close enough match I didn't bother redoing the upper receiver.

Here's a crappy picture. I need a real camera someday. This 5 yr old 1.3mg HP just isn't cutting it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:41:02 AM EDT

Nice! Very Nice!
Top Top