Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 5:08:42 AM EDT
i've decided to go with alumahyde II for a gun refinish.

however, i dont know the process to follow.

how did you do it?

did you cover the internals of the upper?
take the gas tube off?
take off the front sight base?

how did you plug the barrel? did you bother to plug the barrel?
did you paint the delta ring as well?

whats the best way to fo a spray refinish?

thanks in advance
T955i
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure why you want alumahyde II, but it is certainly your choice.  Take a look at the following link, and simply sub what you want in place of the Norrells.  While you won't get the durability of the Norrells, following the steps will get you the maximum finish out of the  alumahyde.  The link is designed to walk you through a complete refinish without having any previous refinishing knowledge.

Let me know if you have any questions that I can help with.

www.mgtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4113
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the link.

i was thinking of going with the alumahyde simply because it doesnt need an oven to cure. but the finish looks really good that i might reconsider.

did you have trouble fitting a 20in upper in the oven?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
thanks for the link.

i was thinking of going with the alumahyde simply because it doesnt need an oven to cure. but the finish looks really good that i might reconsider.

did you have trouble fitting a 20in upper in the oven?

Mine fit in with about an inch to spare.Just hang it diag.across the oven
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Dunno if I did anything wrong, but I just had a mishap with aluma-Hyde II and have 2 cans of matte black , 1 can of coyote, and one can of desert Tan ready to ship back to Brownells.. I used it to paint a stock and it turned out horrible. never have i messed up paint and this just flat out messed up.  Its almost like the stuff comes out way to thick. Once i got a nice coat, not over done I hung it to dry for THREE days.... When i was home, it was out in the sun, or close to a heat register which was supposed to cure it.... After the 3 days when i touched it , it still was tacky and left finger prints. It was so soft I could actualy push on it and watch it move, or scrape it off with my finger nail and it came off in a caulk like consistancy..... Dunno what happened but im sending the ones I didnt use back.... ill stick with Krylon for stocks....
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I had no problems doing my 20" upper, which is the one shown in that thread.  

There is a little more work involved with the Norrells, but not much, and the difference is certainly worth it IMHO.  I like the idea of baking, and being ready to shoot when it cools down.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top