Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2002 12:23:41 AM EDT
I just bought an Olympic Arms, 9 mm, flat-top upper for my Bushmaster lower.  Can anyone recommend a good red dot scope to mount on my new upper?
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 3:33:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the exact same set up. I put a OKO on top of mine and I love it!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I also have  an Olympic Arms PCR-9 with a 16" barrel.

So you guys like the OKOs?

Buy the carry forward handle mount and co-witness?

Or can you mount that OKO on the handle without messing up my present cheek weld?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I enjoy Kobras on both AK and AR/FAL weaver mounts. Very sturdy, work well, and only $140. A bit bulky for some, and only 1 moa adjustments.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
if the aimpoints are good enough for Uncle Sam then they are good enough for me....last count i think i have 3 or 4.....don't put anything on your AR that you wouldn't go to war with.....Dick

PS...almost forgot....i've got a Trijicon reflex with the 12.5 Triangle that i bought just because i didn't have one and now it is my main 3 gun competition optic.....Dick
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought an OKO reflex sight with a Cav Arms carry foward handle. For under $225 shipped.

Can't touch that for a red dot optic that co-witnesses with your irons.  If anything happens, you're still sharp on shooting with your irons.

I'd get an OKO.

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The Aimpoint M/ML2 is the best thing to get. Period.

Regards,
Petri
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently became enlightened once I replaced my OKO with an aimpoint, once you go aimpoint, you'll never go back:)   No the OKO was very nice for the price!  If money is no object the Aimpoint is the only way to go.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Aimpoint M/ML2 is the best thing to get. Period.

Regards,
Petri

I 2nd this, but really it all depends what you plan to do with it.  the Aimpoint rocks for every shortrange/CQB type situation I plan on needing it for.  Once you get used to it, the point and shoot ease of use is incredable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]
watersniper:

I went back. :-o

Recently traded my Aimpoint COMP-M XD for an OKO and cash. OKO is smaller, lighter, brighter and doesn't need expensive mounts and risers to co-witness irons on a flat-top. Gonna get a steel "roll cage" ordered today, and I'll be all set.

Incidentally, I also had a C-More scout sight that I traded for *another* OKO. The C-More had the brightest, crispest dot and cleanest FoV of any reflex sight I've seen, but it was a pain to zero and I had issues with its durability (plastic body and lens w/o provision for a roll cage). Needing a number of tools (screwdriver and 2 allen wrenches) to zero the thing and remove the battery was a big PITA as well.

I like the heads-up sights over the traditional tubes, and have decided to standardize on a single design. OKO looks like it's gonna do it for me!

YMMV.

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are on a budget, there is a great red dot sight out there that I haven't heard anyone mention. It is the Millett SP-2. I recently bought one for my AR, and I love it. It has a 5 MOA red dot. The brightness is controlled by an 11 position rheostat switch. It has fully coated optics, is fog-proof, shock-proof, and most importantly is parallax free. It was easy to get sighted in, and has maintained it's zero very well.

I bought mine online from Impact Guns in Utah.
It was $79.00 plus shipping, and includes the 3 volt lithium battery, and weaver-style rings.
I wanted an Aimpoint ML2, but didn't want to
spend that much. I am not saying that the Millett SP-2 is just as good as the Aimpoint, but, IMHO the Millett SP-2 is a very nice sight
that is well made, and is very user-friendly. The matte black finish also matches my AR nicely. Just my $ .02

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#13]
duncan:

Nice pic... But how do you make elevation adjustments with the OKO mounted thus, since the screw is at the rear of the sight body and blocked by the mount?

That's why both my OKOs are on flat-tops. I'll have to do something else for my A1-upper 9mm carbine. :-(

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#14]
As an experiment, I bought one a BSA from Midway for less than $30 (includes a weaver-style mounting system).  I have had it on several different guns (including my 9mm AR) shooting hundreds of rounds and it has held up.  If you haven't used a red dot style sight before this is a cheap way to go. If you like it, you can always stick it on something else.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I was thinking about the 50mm BSA from Shooters for my 9mm, I know there not as good as a Aimpoint but I'm alittle lite on cash. KWM you say your holds up well? If I get the ARMS #40 can I co-wittness with the BSA?
Thanks,
Z
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not sure.  I'm not all that familiar with the ARMS #40 (mount?).  I picked up the cheapie mount for the carry handle ($8.00 at a gun show) and the BSA scope fits well.  The BSA will fit on any Weaver style base with one caveat:  there isn't much adjustment between the rings.  If the notches for the Weaver mount are close together you're good to go.  If the notches are irregular in the spacing (like more than 1 3/4 to 2") there could be problems.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I made the adjustments for elevation, then secured to the mount.

Here's one for the group.

Love the OKO on the carry forward handle mount but how do I get the mount to stay in place?

The screw keeps coming unloose.

Aaaarrgghhh!

Do I have to grind down an allen wrench, torque it, and then loctite it?

Solutions?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top