Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/3/2006 9:31:03 AM EDT
I was doing some reading and the AR-15 book said to use red loctite between  the barrel extension and the upper receiver.   Anyone heard/ done this before?   Does it not make it a PITA to remove the barrel?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#1]
For some reason that sounds like a very bad idea..

Eh, and not to mention if torqued within spec.. barrel nut shouldn't loosen.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Not on the threads, on extension.   On the treads would be nightmare.  I used moly anti-sieze on the barrel nut/upper receiver threads.  

Book said the loctite added strength to the receiver/barrel extension mate up?  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never heard of such a thing, but I would definitely agree it could make a BIG PITA to remove the barrel.  Sounds like another answer to a question nobody asked.  If the military doesn't need red loctite there, I don't.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
LocTite should be used on the threads of the barrel when the extension is installed.  If you use it between the extension and upper, you won't be able to remove the barrel without damaging the upper.  In the worst case the barrel nut will be held in place by the gas tube and will not come loose.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not on the threads, on extension.   On the treads would be nightmare.  I used moly anti-sieze on the barrel nut/upper receiver threads.  

Book said the loctite added strength to the receiver/barrel extension mate up?  

From "the Ar-15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck, Vol 2, page 118:
"Secret:  To "fuse" the barrel and upper receiver, clean and degrease the inside of the upper receiver extension and the outside of the barrel extension.  Coat them with LocTite 271 ("Red Loc Tite") before inserting the barrel extension into the receiver extension.  Be sure to coat the barrel extension's flange and the very front of the receiver as well.  When properly executed, the very substantial increases in the bearing surfaces of the OD's and ID's of the barrel and receiver extension adds a trememdous additional "capture" and support to both.  The real beneficiary is the rather frail aluminum receiver, which must support the weight of the barrel, handguards, etc."

I do not see why anyone would want to "fuse" the receiver to the barrel extension?  Maybe it is like the benchrest guys who epoxy bond the stock to the action,& action sleeve?

Jeff

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#6]
There is the quote.   Thanks.   Anyone else heard of this?  His book seems to be pretty decent but the red locktite kind of made me go

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#7]
If this connection was grease free when the red lock tite is applied you would probably have to heat the barrel and the upper till the red lock tite degenerated (burned) to get it apart.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I like some of Uncle Walt's opinions, but like you I was quite perplexed at this statement. I guess Walt won't be removing a barrel once it is installed, ever? I dunno...but I do know I will not be partaking in this endeavor.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#9]
RED loctite is only rated to 300F.  Not a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]
From "the Ar-15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck, Vol 2, page 118:
"Secret: To "fuse" the barrel and upper receiver, clean and degrease the inside of the upper receiver extension and the outside of the barrel extension. Coat them with LocTite 271 ("Red Loc Tite") before inserting the barrel extension into the receiver extension. Be sure to coat the barrel extension's flange and the very front of the receiver as well. When properly executed, the very substantial increases in the bearing surfaces of the OD's and ID's of the barrel and receiver extension adds a trememdous additional "capture" and support to both. The real beneficiary is the rather frail aluminum receiver, which must support the weight of the barrel, handguards, etc."

It should be kept a secret.  The "rather frail aluminum receiver" does not take much stress.  This is BS.  Ignore it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top