Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2005 8:36:46 AM EDT
K so everyone in here has basically figured out that I am still learning about red dots and how they work and are used.  So I tried an experiment lastnight to see if I am just seeing things or if this really is the case.  

So I put my rifle on the table and secured it so that it would not move and pointed it at the wall.  I put a mark on the wall where the muzzle of the barrel is pointing at.  

Turned on my red dot that is supposedly zeroed in.  I stood directly behind the gun and looked thru the sight.  I have the dot in a perfect cowitness with the irons.  I put my rear BUIS in the down position so now its just the dot and the front iron sight.  

I start moving my head around and the dot moves as my head moves.  At one point I move my head and the dot goes to the left of the front sight post.  At this point I stand up and the dot is clearly not where the muzzle of the gun is pointed.  

How can this be?   I mean the idea as it was explained to me was that once the dot is zeroed, it doesnt matter if its centered or not, supposedly wherever the dot is, is where the bullet is suppose to go, however, that is clearly NOT where the muzzle is pointed.  So if I was to pull the trigger at that point, the bullet couldnt have possible gone where the dot was right?  

Am I still just not understanding what you guys are saying???  
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You should try that same test with your target at 25m. when you are close to the target like you were the dot will move around in the sight and off of the target because there is a slight paralax issue under 25m.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Correct, it is not paralax free... there is no such thing.  It has reduced paralax where it will be VERY reduced at range.  Try 25 and 50m and see if its not staying dead on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#3]

You are putting way to much thought into this.  You have everyone from real live operators to couch commandoes and everything in between telling you that red dot sights are the real deal.  We have used them and know of what we speak.  

Take your rifle out and do some shooting...you will not be disappointed.  The only possible thing I could see that might upset you is if the tacpoint won't hold zero.  I'll reserve further comment because I have never used one.  I have however used an ML2 quite a bit and can say that it will do exactly as what has been described.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
K so everyone in here has basically figured out that I am still learning about red dots and how they work and are used.  So I tried an experiment lastnight to see if I am just seeing things or if this really is the case.  

So I put my rifle on the table and secured it so that it would not move and pointed it at the wall.  I put a mark on the wall where the muzzle of the barrel is pointing at.  

Turned on my red dot that is supposedly zeroed in.  I stood directly behind the gun and looked thru the sight.  I have the dot in a perfect cowitness with the irons.  I put my rear BUIS in the down position so now its just the dot and the front iron sight.  

I start moving my head around and the dot moves as my head moves.  At one point I move my head and the dot goes to the left of the front sight post.  At this point I stand up and the dot is clearly not where the muzzle of the gun is pointed.  

How can this be?   I mean the idea as it was explained to me was that once the dot is zeroed, it doesnt matter if its centered or not, supposedly wherever the dot is, is where the bullet is suppose to go, however, that is clearly NOT where the muzzle is pointed.  So if I was to pull the trigger at that point, the bullet couldnt have possible gone where the dot was right?  

Am I still just not understanding what you guys are saying???  

Your stressin this way to much,this is one of those things that just works the way it does. Just embrase the dotted goodness and enjoy it.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#5]
K guys, I trust your judgement.  Will hit the range this weekend.  Thanks for all the support and suggestions...
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Aimpoints generally have a very slight amount of paralax out to about 25yds.  Not enough to care about, you'll still get good hits.

I have no idea what the paralax on a Tacpoint is like.

About the same as the aimpoint from my experiances with both.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
eotech does the same thing under 25m
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
There's some good general info on red-dots here www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
And understand that at close distances there is an offset, the scope is above the plane of the barrel.  When assaulting enemy camps from 400 yards you dont have to worry about it, but when you get up close and personal put the dot on the top of the dudes head to hit em between the eyes
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top